• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS, who's there for launch?

Grubdog

Banned
I'll be at the PAL launch...

invasive_tumbleweed.jpg

:(

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I'm getting one and Super Mario 64. It's the only thing i'll be purchasing in November, so yeah.

+1 DS fanboy

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Whatever Rayman it is, I'm a big fan, and will be picking it up. Rayman 2 was my favorite of the series, and I generally prefer the 3D ones over the 2D ones, shockingly.

I own the PS2 version of Rayman 2 (Revolutions), so I wouldn't mind in the least if the DS game was a faithful adapation of the N64 game, as I suspect.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Chony said:
I am waiting outside of Target with my friend so that we can get it early as possible, 7 am. We are both getting DS's + Super Mario 64x4.

This is what i'm doing too. I'll be damned if i don't get one.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm deciding. I've purchased 4 GBAs this gen (!!!!! :< I'm a sucker), and don't know if I need another portable. BUT the prospect of a portable Mario 64, and the hotness that is Feel the Magic, plus Driller, Made in Wario, and Meteos says "BUY IT YOU CHEAP FUCKER!!!!!"

Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas.

kiryogi

Banned
Got mine reserved at Gamestop a month or so ago. Need some games and I'm set. I'd prob camp out too, so I don't have to waste a break getting it.

Mejilan

I'm number 22 at the EB near where I work (rockefeller center). I was told that with the 20 i put down on the system, and the 10 i put down on Mario, I'm guaranteed to get one at launch. I camped for the GBA (despite having a preorder), but I'll be fucked if I can be bothered. Particularly if the game doesn't come out on Sunday, but the following Monday instead.

(What a hellish Monday it will be. Long day at work, Obj Orientated comp sci class after work, and my fucking midterm for that class to boot.) And it's my birthday. Argh.

Chony

deadlifter said:
This is what i'm doing too. I'll be damned if i don't get one.

We are getting there at Midnight. We did this for the Gamecube launch too. We play GBA and someone also brought an import Gamecube. Good thing there are outlets outside of Target.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Okay, so it's time for another stupid question:

The DS is going to be available on Sunday? That would definitely rock.

Mejilan

Lyte Edge said:
Okay, so it's time for another stupid question:

The DS is going to be available on Sunday? That would definitely rock.

My EB said that was the most likely scenario.

The only hitch is that since my store is in an area that's particularly inhabited by business men and women, they don't usually open on Sundays, but if they have them in stock, they will be that Sunday.

The Cube came out on a Sunday, did it not?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Chony said:
We are getting there at Midnight. We did this for the Gamecube launch too. We play GBA and someone also brought an import Gamecube. Good thing there are outlets outside of Target.

How many DSs is your target getting in? I've called a couple times and they still don't know. Hopefully it's like 20 or something cause i'll arrive 30 minutes before the store opens. I don't feel like staying overnight.

Drakken

I have the DS preordered. I'll be getting just Super Mario 64 DS for launch, though I'm not sure where I'll be buying it from.

The first time in a long time that almost every single person is decided on the same launch game. I'm also getting Mario 64, but if I had to choose between the Hunters demo, I'd go with Hunters.

First Hunt looks good enough that I might not even need a game. How long is it?

Really the first game I want is Zoo Keeper. I just need something to hold me over.

atomsk

Party Pooper
DS paid off at gamecrazy

though if ebay prices go nuts due to lack of units, i'd be tempted to sell... i'm not looking forward to the system THAT badly

lexi

Banned
I'll be picking one up at launch, I'm not sure whether EB will be open or not though. Picking up Mario 64, and probably Feel the Magic a week or two later.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I played the DS today. It was pretty fun. The unit feels nice and is a shit ton more comfortable to hold than the GBAsp (as sleak as it is). I played prime hunters with styli control, and goofed of with pictochat and booted up a GBA game.

Pictochat is pretty smooth, but there wasn't another unit to chat with.

I will probably hold off on a unit until Wario Ware and WarsDS are out. By then maybe nintendo will be ready for the drop to 100 with PSP imminent :D love that competition.

Getting the system at launch with SM64 and probably Feel the Magic. I'm hoping that Asphalt Urban GT is really good as well but we'll have to see on that.

Woo, first post!

And yeah, I'll be down for DS, SM64, and Feel the Magic @ launch. Good times will totally be had by all.

...and by all, I mean me.

soul.less

Banned
I have a DS and Super Mario 64 DS pre-ordered online at GameStop.com. I might pick up something else like Feel the Magic or Spider-Man 2 in-store.

preordered DS at EB, but I didnt pre-order any games.

I think I`ll get Mario 64 since I never owned the 64 version yet I`ve always wanted to.

I just hope the controls are in order and the multiplayer works.

im still undecided on my launch line up.

Mario and Ridge Racer for sure.

a week later i'll import Meteos for sure. thing im having trouble is, i know Feel The Magic is gonna be awesome as fuck, but, i can just import Wario a week later. fuck, i can't make up my mind, im considering waiting for Wario to hit the states, and give Feel the Magic the attention it deserves, but how the fuck can i pass up Wario?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Paid up on my DS

Preordered :
Mario 64
Sawaru Made in Wario
Band Brothers
Hitofude
Kimishine
Zoo Keeper
Mr Driller

And will probably pick up on the day :

Nintendoctor

Can't wait.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DCharlie said:
Paid up on my DS

Preordered :
Mario 64
Sawaru Made in Wario
Band Brothers
Hitofude
Kimishine
Zoo Keeper
Mr Driller

And will probably pick up on the day :

Nintendoctor

Can't wait.

Uh oh. Is Sawaru Made in Wario out on launch day? Please don't make me buy this *and* PSP... I was planning to wait for that and Advance wars, but now there are two titles I want (the other is Mario 64 again - what a sucker), so thats enough to justify a purchase.. Oh god.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Uh oh. Is Sawaru Made in Wario out on launch day? Please don't make me buy this *and* PSP... I was planning to wait for that and Advance wars, but now there are two titles I want (the other is Mario 64 again - what a sucker), so thats enough to justify a purchase.. Oh god."

just to be ceratin we are on the same page - this is the Japanese launch. It's a launch title for us :)

Mario 64 - i keep seeing screen shots in stores and i don't recognise a lot of them (Mario blown up like a balloon for a start!)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yeah, whatever page - I'm in the UK so an import is an import.

Getting a PSP at launch for ridge racer loving, but Made in Wario is screaming at me. I've pretty much done Warawu now (apart from high scoring the mini games).

Isn't it a bit mad to want Mario 64 again? with no analogue pad? (although the thumb thing sounds interesting, I'm sure you'll end up with a nice concentric ring of scratches after a while)

I could import the US hardware and just wario soft. Or ask my sister in law to double team on the PSP+DS (she is hopefully picking up the PSP for me to save being hit for duty)

AniHawk

DCharlie said:
"Uh oh. Is Sawaru Made in Wario out on launch day? Please don't make me buy this *and* PSP... I was planning to wait for that and Advance wars, but now there are two titles I want (the other is Mario 64 again - what a sucker), so thats enough to justify a purchase.. Oh god."

just to be ceratin we are on the same page - this is the Japanese launch. It's a launch title for us :)

Mario 64 - i keep seeing screen shots in stores and i don't recognise a lot of them (Mario blown up like a balloon for a start!)

You don't remember that level?

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm there. The only thing I'll have the cash for is NDS + Mario 64, though. Hell, that's all I need, for a time )

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the thumbandanna looks hilarious. but it seems much better suited to the ds's physical shape than a traditional stylus...i wonder why they aren't packing one in.

drohne said:
the thumbandanna looks hilarious. but it seems much better suited to the ds's physical shape than a traditional stylus...i wonder why they aren't packing one in.

The thumb strap is packed in actually, if that's what you're getting at.

I'm another importer. No way I'm waiting to get screwed in rip-off britain when this thing is multiregion.

I'll order it on Nov 30. Pay day!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
radioheadrule83 said:
I'm another importer. No way I'm waiting to get screwed in rip-off britain when this thing is multiregion.

I'll order it on Nov 30. Pay day!

why not order the Asian version now? Play asia won't take any money until it ships if you pay by credit card, and you are more likely to get one than if you wait until the 30th.

Thats a good idea!

... incidentally, I don't have a credit card. I worked for Barclaycard as a debt collector a while back and saw what some people do to themselves by abusing a credit card. I'm rubbish with money so I know I'd be one of those people :D I just have a basic debit card, and various e-cash accounts like PayPal.

But the asian unit... yeah thats a good idea.. it releases later than the US release right?
Cos if I got debited for a US one on Nov 21 I'd probably be screwed for money and end up borrowing off the parents (which causes no end of bother believe me)... if the Japanese ones not long after, and hits after payday, that would be cool! And as you say I can be sure I'll get one then..

Thanks!

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Why the hell have I been under the impression that the DS is launching the day after Thanksgiving? When did it change to the 21st? I thought I was on the ball.

Who launches a system on a Sunday?

I feel like I'm drunk and just not understanding something.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
In addition to the packed in thumb strap and stylus. Nintendo is going to sell the Stylii in 3 packs for replacement (the rep didn't say a price)

Additionally Nintendo is actually going to ship replacement first party chargers since it works for both (AFAIK they never shipped them just for GBAsp, to stores that is)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
MrPing1000 said:
well I'm importing from Lik-Sang. First time I've ever done this so I expect it to fuck up somehow

lik sang have really good communication and they're usually really fast.. havent' had a problem with them yet, and they pack their stuff really well too :D

i'm a little concerned that they still don't have information about when/how they are getting these DS's in stock :p its a week and a bit away.. im scared on the 21st ill get a 'sorry - we're waiting on more' email. i'm going on holidays on 7th december - i don't want to miss out :p

Deku Tree

I plan to get a launch DS with Mario 64 DS. Has the US release date moved up?

Just got this email from gamestop

gamestop email said:
Dear Customer,

You have signed up to receive release date changes for:

Nintendo DS

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=020225&affid=1

Old Release Date - 11/22/2004
New Release Date - 11/15/2004

Thank you for visiting GameStop.com!
The World's Largest Selection of Gaming Products!

NOTE: The product release date is the best estimate as to when the product
will become available. These dates are subject to change at anytime.
GameStop.com is in constant communication with product vendors to provide
you with the most accurate release dates possible.

Top Bottom