• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is suing Palworld devs

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
So It Begins GIF by HBO

Nintendo won't win, Palworld isn't a 1 for 1 copy. Nintendo would have to sue every other monster collecting RPG game then .
They'll still drain them financially via the long and drawn out litigation process.

TBH, Palworld has been proven to be outright tracing designs I'm not shocked at all
I thought this was a hoax and proven false.

I know nothing about Japanese patent law, so I'd be curious to hear an expert take on this one. What's the likelihood that Nintendo would actually win this case, or are they just going for a settlement?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nintendo a bunch of assholes. Why does this really matter? Palworld isn’t taking anyone away from the Nintendo cult. People who give a shit about tired ass Pokemon, will remain there in the concrete room in your basement Nintendo, I promise. Chill tf out 🤦‍♂️
And so is other companies, you are mistaking thinking they are your friend.

They will do what it takes to protect their IP it doesn't matter if its justified or not and not just Nintendo, every companies will do the same.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Patent rights? That has me curious. I'm not familiar with how broadly Japan construes patent rights, but this is presumably not the claim that so many assumed Nintendo would bring against the Palworld devs back when the game first launched.

Puscifer

It was bull every time, one guy even massaged the results just to ride on the public adoration on Twitter. Same goes for AI accusations.

"This only matters to you if you ignored all the other actual 3D artists who literally already debunked this"

I rescind my post. I never knew he pulled back on it and this Reddit post isn't any new article updates.

Patents? Not copyright? That sounds dumb. What patents are we talking about? What about Pokemon's generic-ass JRPG mechanics (which Palworld doesn't even particularly resemble) is patentable? Or is this some kind of technology patent that Palworld's devs infringed on… somehow?

Maybe I'm wrong and I just don't understand patents. But my first instinct is that Nintendo is butthurt that Palworld parodied them, decided they couldn't win a copyright lawsuit, and so they decided to throw a patent lawsuit at them to punish them anyway.

Saber

This gonna be a fun case. It basically gonna involve any monster or creature as stealing if end up being true, because not even Pokemon itself has originality with their own as some of their monsters resemble alot other franchises(DQ comes to mind).

ZehDon

Given the amount of guns in PalWorld, I imagine it'll be a hard argument for Nintendo to win infringement - they're clearly quite separate - but it's not impossible. Nintendo doesn't fuck around in the courtroom.

Top Bottom