• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo profits double for April-June Quarter (1st), strong Gamecube sales in US...

Alcibiades

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8903-1194035,00.html

Nintendo's pricing play pays off
From Agencies

Strong sales of the GameCube video game console have helped Nintendo report a doubling in quarterly profits.

The Japanese company, best known for game characters such as Super Mario Brothers, Donkey Kong, said that net profits had risen to 22.6 billion yen (£111 million) for the April to June period from 11.5 billon yen a year before.

The improvement reflected brisk US demand for the GameCube after the prices of the consoles were reduced below $100 million in September in the face of tough competition.

Sales of software for the handheld GameBoy Advance games machines also remained firm despite the prospect of the launch of a rival product, the PlayStation Portable, by Sony.

At an operating level, profits surged to 17.47 billion yen for the quarter, up from 7.25 billion yen a year before and ahead of analysts' forecasts of a 12.2 billion yen figure.

The results were released after the close of Tokyo markets. Nintendo stock had ended the day up 3.24 per cent at 12,100 yen.

of course the GCN was never over $100 million, but whatever...

GDGF

Soothsayer
Hey, that's nice! Anyone know if the Yen/Dollar ratio has stopped dropping? That might have something to do with it too.

Alcibiades

Chrono said:
Nintendo just keeps kicking ass. :cool:

I wanna buy some Nintendo shares but don't know how. :(

sharebuilder.com

I have about $80 worth when the stock was worth about $12, I think I've made a few dollars...

Chrono

Banned
efralope said:
sharebuilder.com

I have about $80 worth when the stock was worth about $12, I think I've made a few dollars...

heh thanks for the link. I expected Nintendo's stock to sell for like 100-200 dollars though. O__o

I'll buy some this weekend when I organize my finances. (*ahem*GitsDVD*ahem*)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
In US dollars:

Net Profit: $202,876,000 approx
Operating Profit: $156,836,000 approx

Good going, considering now would be a prime time for R&D costs on next-gen systems to start hitting the bottom line. I guess we could infer that they're adopting a similar strategy to GC (i.e. making partners shoulder the burden of R&D costs).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What? But I thought Gamecube was dying and Nintendo was on its way to becoming a 3rd party develoepr!!! :p

Mashing

That's not a fair comparison as Q1 2003 was in the midst of a manufacturing shutdown (or was that this year... I forget when exactly).

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Gamecube shmamcube. The real reason: selling 15 year old NES games on the GBA, without any enhancement whatsoever and no fancy packaging, for $20. And selling lots of them. Yes, including to me. I read on IGN sales have exceeded expectations and Nintendo will release a new set in October.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"The improvement reflected brisk US demand for the GameCube after the prices of the consoles were reduced below $100 million in September in the face of tough competition."

yeah, expecting anyone to pay $100 million for a game cube was stupid.....

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
NINTENDO GAMECUBE Hardware
Q1 2004 650,000
Q1 2003 80,000
LTD 15,220,000

XBox LTD = 15,500,000

Xbox officially #2 wordwide (by 1.8%)
What were the GameCube's Q2 shipments though? Those XBox totals go through June, not Q1...

jarrod

Banned
Ah thanks fleming, I was confused as usual. :)

I'm actually a little surprised Nintendo shipped 650k in the slowest quarter of the year though... aren't they only expecting like 4.5 million for the whole year (which is also what MS is expecting for XBox iirc)?

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
Thats probobly due to great holiday sales retailer ordered more,last year it was only 80K because there was stock left over from xmass.

Jumpman

DCharlie said:
"The improvement reflected brisk US demand for the GameCube after the prices of the consoles were reduced below $100 million in September in the face of tough competition."

yeah, expecting anyone to pay $100 million for a game cube was stupid.....

Now I feel dumb, I paid $200 million for mine on launch day....

Nintendo almost beat PS2 this quarter for shipments 710,000 to 650,000. Who's struggling now?

Jumpman said:
Now I feel dumb, I paid $200 million for mine on launch day....

Nintendo almost beat PS2 this quarter for shipments 710,000 to 650,000. Who's struggling now?

Too bad shipping doesn't equal what's sold to consumers. That just means that stores have alot of GC's on shelves and not too many PS2's.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Too bad shipping doesn't equal what's sold to consumers. That just means that stores have alot of GC's on shelves and not too many PS2's.
Actually the decrease in shipping was likely due to Sony overstocking the winter more than anything. Last march they reported total shipping of 28 million PS2s to the US, yet NPD sales were only around 22.5 million (meaning 5.5 million extra in transit/shelves/storage, in just the US alone).

I think there's definitely more PS2s on store shelves than GameCubes.

jarrod said:
Actually the decrease in shipping was likely due to Sony overstocking the winter more than anything. Last march they reported total shipping of 28 million PS2s to the US, yet NPD sales were only around 22.5 million (meaning 5.5 million extra in transit/shelves/storage, in just the US alone).

I think there's definitely more PS2s on store shelves than GameCubes.

I'm just talking about this year since he was trying to make it out like Sony is struggling. Sony sold 427k PS2's last month, Nintendo sold 109k GC's.

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, Sony's definitely not struggling... the recent price drop push just reaffirmed who's really in charge. I just doubt Nintendo's overshipping product really, they made that mistake last year.

Jumpman

SolidSnakex said:
I'm just talking about this year since he was trying to make it out like Sony is struggling. Sony sold 427k PS2's last month, Nintendo sold 109k GC's.

Heh, just a joke. I'm not naive enough to think that Gamecube is neck and neck with PS2. If only I knew how to use those emoticons, maybe then the humor would not go unnoticed.

Top Bottom