• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo pwns I love bees

AniHawk

EakeLarth said:
Yeah it's been posted before. Didn't get it then, don't get it now.

There's a website called ilovebees.com that was made to promote Halo 2. It started off with high interest, but died down when it became apparent that all it was counting down to was a marketing campaign. I think it's pretty much dead now.

LakeEarth

AniHawk said:
There's a website called ilovebees.com that was made to promote Halo 2. It started off with high interest, but died down when it became apparent that all it was counting down to was a marketing campaign. I think it's pretty much dead now.

Ahh, I guess I never read that thread.

Failed? I don't think an advertising campaign failed when it had half this forum and others trying to figure out what the hell a bunch of vague mumbo jumbo meant.

AniHawk

Tre said:
Failed? I don't think an advertising campaign failed when it had half this forum and others trying to figure out what the hell a bunch of vague mumbo jumbo meant.

Well they were mostly guys who were going to get Halo 2 anyway. Judging by EakeLarth's and Razoric's responses, it wasn't too far-reaching.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:

You are wrong.

SyNapSe

AniHawk said:
That'll learn them to poke fun at a failed advertising campaign. THAT'LL LEARN THEM GOOD!

It actually told what seemed to be backstory for Halo 2. It involved other Spartans, however, what it told it did so in a VERY slow fashion and I quit reading. I believe it was preluding to the covenant attack possibly.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
AniHawk said:

It isnt dead at all.

And its not counting down to a marketing campaign either (Well it is a marketing campaign obviously, but its not just to unlock some new trailer or something), looks like the end of the story will go live the day Halo 2 comes out.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
Well they were mostly guys who were going to get Halo 2 anyway. Judging by EakeLarth's and Razoric's responses, it wasn't too far-reaching.

It wasn't supposed to be far-reaching. It is aimed at hard-core Bungie and ARG fans, and that is who it has attracted. There are still thousands of people who follow this every day - just because you tuned out does not mean that it's a 'failure'.

What it turned into when you fillter out all of the noise from the website is a good, old-fashioned radio play. And it's really, really good.

Head here and get caught up:

http://www.ilovebees.com/humptydumpty.html

AniHawk

Let me restate my original post:

There's a website called ilovebees.com that was made to promote Halo 2. It started off with high interest, but died down when it became apparent that all it was counting down to was a marketing campaign. Not a -normal- marketing campaign with commercials and trailers and wallpaper, but something more along the lines of an audio comic book series.

I think the interest in it is pretty much dead now. I don't see the ilovebees topic bumped anymore, and the people I last saw talking about it didn't really care all too much.

AirBrian

Back when the long-distance providers were pushing their “1-800s”, MCI came out with 1-800-COLLECT. So AT&T responded with 1-800-OPERATOR. Well, MCI then registered 1-800-OPERATER, 1-800-OPARATER, 1-800-OPARATOR, 1-800-OPORATER, and so on. They made a ton of money off of AT&T’s lack of foresight to realize people can’t spell.

AniHawk

It wasn't supposed to be far-reaching. It is aimed at hard-core Bungie and ARG fans, and that is who it has attracted. There are still thousands of people who follow this every day - just because you tuned out does not mean that it's a 'failure'.

From what I remembered, the site began getting tons of hype and rumors spread that it was counting down to an early release among other things. Maybe I should dig up the topic and find some quotes backing me up on this.

Perhaps failure was too strong a word, but disappointment is not.

Razoric

Banned
AirBrian said:
Back when the long-distance providers were pushing their “1-800s”, MCI came out with 1-800-COLLECT. So AT&T responded with 1-800-OPERATOR. Well, MCI then registered 1-800-OPERATER, 1-800-OPARATER, 1-800-OPARATOR, 1-800-OPORATER, and so on. They made a ton of money off of AT&T’s lack of foresight to realize people can’t spell.

Thats fucking awesome. :lol

AirBrian

The Faceless Master said:
and this cost what, a few hundred bucks of domains?

pimpyamauchi.jpg

"That ain't nothin', yo."

Alcibiades

this is awesome, we know it's Nintendo doing this, right?

also, it reminds when Sega spoiled a Sony PS-X executive golf session by flying a banner overhead with the 9/9/99 Dreamcast release date as well as sneaking in golf balls with the Dreamcast logo...

Sega expected to rise, but in this case, I think Nintendo just wants to have fun with what they have cause they aren't going to beat the GTA/Halo 2 hype...

AeroGod

Jesus H Christ, is Nintendo run by a bunch of 8 year olds. This is kinda childish. I can just imagine it...

Nintendo Exec: "Ohh gosh MICROSOFT AND BUNGIE HAS ILOVEBEES"

Reggie: "ILOVESNEEZE!!"

Nintendo Exec: "LOL!!"

Reggie: "What did your mom pack you for lunch?"

Nintendo Exec: "Peanut Butter and Jelly again.. Aww man!"

Reggie: "My mom got me Lunchables!!"

Nintendo Exec: "Wow Reggie ur so kool!"

Yep

The Samus thing is pretty cool though :p

The ilovebees story is actually pretty freakin' cool. They got good voice actors for the audio clips and the characters they play are really well defined. If you don't hate the covenant bastards after listening to a few of the more recent clips describing people's reaction to colonies close to Earth being destroyed, well then you are just a regular Mr. McNoHeart with no sense of fantasy:p

That said, Nintendo's reaction is very damn funny. If Nintendo did the campaign first I could see any number of other companies responding in a similar way... especially Bungie.

Alcibiades

yeah, this is as an aside just a silly joke, meant to poke fun in a lighthearted sense...

This is not at the forefront of their advertising campaign (nor was ilovebees for Halo 2) and it's more for fun and doing it for the sake of doing it than a serious attempt to reach gamers...

GhaleonEB

Mr. Lemming said:
The ilovebees story is actually pretty freakin' cool. They got good voice actors for the audio clips and the characters they play are really well defined. If you don't hate the covenant bastards after listening to a few of the more recent clips describing people's reaction to colonies close to Earth being destroyed, well then you are just a regular Mr. McNoHeart with no sense of fantasy:p

That said, Nintendo's reaction is very damn funny. If Nintendo did the campaign first I could see any number of other companies responding in a similar way... especially Bungie.

I agree with everything you said except that last bit about Bungie - they don't follow that kind of stuff. They do their own thing.

Tenguman

Mr. Lemming said:

Actually everyone in GA will be "OMG THATS SO STUPID WHAT CAN'T NINTENDO ADVERTISE NORMALLY!!!!!" And ilovebees would have gone off into the sunset

GhaleonEB said:
I agree with everything you said except that last bit about Bungie - they don't follow that kind of stuff. They do their own thing.

Yeah they do their own thing, but they aren't above making fun of an underground marketing campaign... heck I'm not sure what they would be above making fun of.

Oh... just found my answer

Dear Jonesy,

I've been warned by legal, GeoPolitical AND human resources not to make fun of anyone I suspect has had a lobotomy. So I'm saying nothing.

http://bungie.net/Inside/CustomPage.aspx?section=LettersToTheWebmaster&subsection=Main&page=14

B E N K E

I don't know what's worst. Making a stupid net campaign that nobody cares about or spending a lot of eefort making fun of a stupid campaign that nobody cares about.

AniHawk

AeroGod said:
Jesus H Christ, is Nintendo run by a bunch of 8 year olds. This is kinda childish. I can just imagine it...

Nintendo Exec: "Ohh gosh MICROSOFT AND BUNGIE HAS ILOVEBEES"

Reggie: "ILOVESNEEZE!!"

Nintendo Exec: "LOL!!"

Reggie: "What did your mom pack you for lunch?"

Nintendo Exec: "Peanut Butter and Jelly again.. Aww man!"

Reggie: "My mom got me Lunchables!!"

Nintendo Exec: "Wow Reggie ur so kool!"

Why do you make fun of the kids older than you?

B E N K E said:
I don't know what's worst. Making a stupid net campaign that nobody cares about or spending a lot of eefort making fun of a stupid campaign that nobody cares about.
i wouldnt really calling buying a few dozen domains that all point to the same exact 1 page layout alot of effort.. cost a few hundred bucks and a few hours max...

shpankey

not an idiot
efralope said:
yeah, this is as an aside just a silly joke, meant to poke fun in a lighthearted sense...

This is not at the forefront of their advertising campaign (nor was ilovebees for Halo 2) and it's more for fun and doing it for the sake of doing it than a serious attempt to reach gamers...

great post, and I agree. well said.

AniHawk said:

Preaching to the choir, exactly. It was still fairly cool.

Top Bottom