• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Lite OLED mod in the works, almost ready for production

Killer8

Modder and Youtuber Taki Udon has announced that his OLED screen mod for the Nintendo Switch Lite model is almost ready for prime time:

Here are some comparison shots:

gIA0c3N.jpeg
NOWBBlA.jpeg

7X9ldJa.jpeg
JaCQaNl.jpeg

Specs:

The price will be reasonable and a version with HDMI out (limited to 720p) is under consideration:

Best of all, no soldering required:

Considering a used Switch Lite can be had for $100 on eBay, this would make it an ideal companion console particularly for travelling.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Considering a used Switch Lite can be had for $100 on eBay, this would make it an ideal companion console particularly for travelling.
OLED thing is cool, but wtf? Why is the Switch Lite like half the price of a 2DS XL? That’s the only Nintendo handheld I’m missing in my collection, and the price just keeps going up 😭

This makes sense. By far the best-selling Switch model for years now has been the OLED. It's dominant. Only makes sense to also make the Switch Lite OLED as well, help juice hardware sales this fall before the successor.

Zannegan

Cool, but the stick drift...

On the other hand, if you're good modding your screen, replacing the sticks with hall sensors should be no issue. Carry on.

This makes sense. By far the best-selling Switch model for years now has been the OLED. It's dominant. Only makes sense to also make the Switch Lite OLED as well, help juice hardware sales this fall before the successor.
This is an OLED mod, not an OLED model. Don't worry though, I read the title the same way before clicking on the thread.

Some of the pics that aren't being shown in this thread have a weird checkerboard on the oled , check it out.

I get the colors look better but that design pattern looks out of place. Look at the oled screen around Mario, on the carpet and stone.

As for my thoughts... switch lite, eww. Why? We have the superior switch oled. I never understood why someone would sacrifice the main things that make a switch a switch. the ability to replace joycons (with the lite you have to return the whole console for drift). Also their is no TV out motion controls or Rumble. This limits a number of games. The screen is too tiny too.

Its really only good for kids (cheap as not as worried about breaking) and wives/girlfriends who are not into gaming (got one for my wife, as I couldn't justify spending 300+ on a system she will just use for tetris and a few 2d nes games. )

GFGDq5CaAAAM7ig

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

I'm totally in if the total price is fair (product + shipping + taxes), a switch lite OLED would be really awesome !

Mad The Internet GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

DonF

OLED looks SO great right next to the IPS, but in reality, you get used to it right away and only notice when you have to other one right next to it.

OLED thing is cool, but wtf? Why is the Switch Lite like half the price of a 2DS XL? That’s the only Nintendo handheld I’m missing in my collection, and the price just keeps going up 😭
How much is the 2ds xl? Oh and why? why even get a 2ds. That's missing the 3d which was one of the killer features of the 3ds , it was in the title. Also wasn't it flat, no folding? I hated that nintendo ripped its guts out and took away the 3d. It gave developers like asus the go ahead to cheap out and not give 3d versions of games. Was shitty for 3ds owners near the end of the gen.

Top line 3ds is the new 3ds xl (although that name of the system really sucks). I got my white and black fire emblem fates model. I can't belive it's worth $500 used and seen it posted for $1300 in box. Crazyness, I got it for 140 used when switch was coming out. It's the perfect blend of awesome styling. It has dragon art but its subtle. You have to tilt it to even see it. From a distance its just a white with black trim 3ds xl. I like it that way, it emits class and sophistication. not something just built for kids. I am getting to the point where I don't want to play it as I fear it busting. If it wasn't for switch I would of gotting a 2nd 3ds for use, may still do it.

s-l650.jpg
s-l650.jpg

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
How much is the 2ds xl? Oh and why? why even get a 2ds. That's missing the 3d which was one of the killer features of the 3ds , it was in the title. Also wasn't it flat, no folding? I hated that nintendo ripped its guts out and took away the 3d. It gave developers like asus the go ahead to cheap out and not give 3d versions of games. Was shitty for 3ds owners near the end of the gen.

Top line 3ds is the new 3ds xl (although that name of the system really sucks). I got my white and black fire emblem fates model. I can't belive it's worth $500 used and seen it posted for $1300 in box. Crazyness, I got it for 140 used when switch was coming out. It's the perfect blend of awesome styling. It has dragon art but its subtle. You have to tilt it to even see it. From a distance its just a white with black trim 3ds xl. I like it that way, it emits class and sophistication. not something just built for kids.

s-l650.jpg
s-l650.jpg
I have like 14 or 15 3DSes spanning all of the types already. I’ve got the other 2DSes as well. I’m just missing a New 2DS XL.

I don’t collect games or amiibos or consoles etc., but the one thing I do collect are handhelds, especially Nintendo handhelds. Not sure why, but I have a damn-near complete collection at this point (aside from Game & Watches), so it’d be nice to finally get a New 2DS XL. (I also still need a Game Boy Light and a Switch Lite, and then my collection will be complete.)

So I don’t mind waiting indefinitely for a good deal on a 2DS XL. It’s just annoying to me that they’re so expensive.

Last edited:
Cool, but the stick drift...

On the other hand, if you're good modding your screen, replacing the sticks with hall sensors should be no issue. Carry on.

This is an OLED mod, not an OLED model. Don't worry though, I read the title the same way before clicking on the thread.
Oh damn. Wow

Dunno if I care enough to do a mod like this, Switch is just on review duties these days.

Some of the pics that aren't being shown in this thread have a weird checkerboard on the oled , check it out.

I get the colors look better but that design pattern looks out of place. Look at the oled screen around Mario, on the carpet and stone.

As for my thoughts... switch lite, eww. Why? We have the superior switch oled. I never understood why someone would sacrifice the main things that make a switch a switch. the ability to replace joycons (with the lite you have to return the whole console for drift). Also their is no TV out motion controls or Rumble. This limits a number of games. The screen is too tiny too.

Its really only good for kids (cheap as not as worried about breaking) and wives/girlfriends who are not into gaming (got one for my wife, as I couldn't justify spending 300+ on a system she will just use for tetris and a few 2d nes games. )

GFGDq5CaAAAM7ig

Why do you have to replace the whole Lite for stick drift or buy new joycons? It honestly takes around 15-20 minutes to swap out the sticks yourself

ReBurn

Gold Member
Someone stole my 2DS XL out of my backpack a few weeks ago and I went to eBay to find a new one. I was surprised to see them at $200+ used. I still haven't picked one up. For that much I'll wait until my indie game store gets one and at least be able to try before I buy.

It's called supply and demand. People want what they can't have. Lots of games are locked on 3DS and never ported to other systems, including Switch. Hence the price is driven up not just on hardware, but the software.

The same thing will happen to Switch in 3 years when Nintendo stops production on hardware and games, moves fully to Switch 2, and all the sudden the gold rush of the used Switch market will start to go up, especially when the download links from the eShop are taken offline.

Last edited:
It's called supply and demand. People want what they can't have. Lots of games are locked on 3DS and never ported to other systems, including Switch. Hence the price is driven up not just on hardware, but the software.

The same thing will happen to Switch in 3 years when Nintendo stops production on hardware and games, moves fully to Switch 2, and all the sudden the gold rush of the used Switch market will start to go up, especially when the download links from the eShop are taken offline.
If they did that they would have an army of angry gamers at their doors with pitchforks. Switch has sold almost ps2 levels. That isn't something Nintendo can sweep under the rug like they did with 3ds, wiiu etc... They would need backwards compatibility where digital purchases move over and preferably carts too. I can see a world where Nintendo ditches the carts for a new format but not digital goods (which would also make people who bought a ton of carts screwed and have to re-buy what we want on switch 2) , I wouldn't put it past the greedy company.
They would loose a ton of potential sales if they pulled a 3ds store for switch software.

Last edited:
Top Bottom