• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch on a 22" VGA CRT PC monitor is ridiculous and awesome. (56k warning: images)

Xdrive05

Nintendo Switch on a 22" VGA CRT PC monitor (ViewSonic G220f). Incredible colors and black levels! Apologies for crappy off-screen iPhone SE photography not doing it justice; it looks WAY better in person. This is with a $30 HDMI to VGA converter.

Some observations from dinking around with this setup:
  • CRTs completely get around the common Switch limitation of needing upscaling to 1080p (and then upscaling again up to 4k if you're on a 4k set). Games that run sub 1080p still look amazing and have none of the pixel stretch needed to fill the fixed panel of a flatscreen. It just displays what's there with none of that fuzzy jank.
  • Colors really pop and black levels are great. This is probably familiar to folks on OLED?
  • Motion clarity is better than even my Switch OLED screen, presumably because of no sample-and-hold to deal with. This is most apparent on 60fps titles, but you can even see better motion clarity at 30fps like TotK.
  • Absolutely zero input lag.
  • I really wish I had a proper camera that could show you what this looks like to the naked eye. These phone pics are not even close. But hopefully they give some idea.
l7En9zC.jpg

SGVohgs.jpg

Z2tOx9H.jpg

RBHBGVa.jpg

aFprwov.jpg

P84lzUC.jpg

vCsw1Dl.jpg

bk64Nul.jpg

0jSp5MU.jpg

EfYYS46.jpg

V4tdsvu.jpg

VoNn7OW.jpg

fzgFDdU.jpg

F0qYKF6.jpg

mwd2s7v.jpg

Last edited:

HyperSeg

Neo Member
I just recently reacquired a CRT after over 20 years, and I knew I missed it the moment I saw the BIOS splash screen on my Windows 98 PC.

p.s. I used to have 56k but my current internet speed is about 9821 times faster
Animated GIF

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
My only issue is that I'm collecting too many CRTs. I think I have 6 or 7 in the house by last count... can't pass up decent ones (especially smaller color CRTs with a nice strong curve; I actually prefer that to later models) when I spot them for a few bucks out there. It's the only way I'll play any retro games.

I always worry that they'll gradually die out. Speaking of which: does anyone in the world manufacture new CRTs today? Even for some specialty purpose? Or is it entirely a dead technology with no more manufacturing?

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Even playing old school games like ps1 look insane playing them on a 65" oled tv emulated and upscaled to 4k, compared to 'native' hardware on a crt
awful, imo

Blowing up games meant for medium-sized screens to play on giant wall-sized screens is the ugliest thing imaginable. Play it nicely on a 20 to absolute max mid-20-ish inch CRT and that's exactly the top level of fidelity the games were built for. Anything bigger distorts to the point of ruining the entire visual design.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

What’s the next big tv change? Certainly there must be something on the horizon out a few years (like 10)?

I would hope that it's new flatscreen technology going after motion clarity rather than single image resolution, which is where almost all of the industry has been focused until very recently. I'm thinking OLED and tech like Nvidia Pulsar (and hopefully some non-proprietary version of that) should get us to the better future for gaming screens.

The industry seriously regressed going from CRT to flat panels, such that only now - twenty years later - are they starting to pour their R&D back into what matters for games in motion.

tkscz

OLED > CRT

CRTs are waaay overrated imo.

Even playing old school games like ps1 look insane playing them on a 65" oled tv emulated and upscaled to 4k, compared to 'native' hardware on a crt
Yes, EMULATED. The emulator would clean up the image way beyond what it's meant to look like but if you had the original console and managed to get it hooked up to an OLED, it would look awful. Unfortunately the true successor to CRT, Plasma, was too expensive and didn't last long versus LCD.

I miss my Panasonic 1080i CRT TV. Got the best of all worlds on that thing, heavy as fuck though.

nkarafo

OLED > CRT

CRTs are waaay overrated imo.

But no matter what you do, you will still have that dreaded LCD motion blur whenever the picture moves.

So, enjoy your awesome looking still images.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yeah, I briefly tried MK8 and Celeste on a CRT. It’s glorious. Big-pixel games like Celeste especially get a completely different look, so different from the all-screen sharpness that is the norm on digital displays, and it makes them better.

StereoVsn

But no matter what you do, you will still have that dreaded LCD motion blur whenever the picture moves.

So, enjoy your awesome looking still images.
If it’s a modern OLED high speed monitor that is fed by Retrotink 4K, it may be ok as long as the game targets 60 fps or more.

But that’s a very specific and expensive setup and it still won’t help games with frame rate issues on original hardware.

nkarafo

If it’s a modern OLED high speed monitor that is fed by Retrotink 4K, it may be ok as long as the game targets 60 fps or more.
Motion blur on modern panels is never ok at 60fps. The scrolling/camera pan motion blur only start to clear up at 240fps or more, if you have a 240hz screen or better.

There are (supposedly) some technologies that can reduce this problem. Things like hardware BFI and the like. Personally, i only ever tested software BFI and it's atrocious. It does the job (100% cleans up motion blur to the same level as a CRT) but it also completely kills the colors and brightness.

I still personally haven't seen a single monitor or TV that gives the same clean result as a 60hz CRT. There's always some artifact that gets in the way. The only time i get close to CRT motion clarity is with my 240hz monitor and only when the content runs at 240fps. And even that is about 80% the CRT's clear motion. I think you need 360hz/fps to reach 100%.

Top Bottom