• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread (U.S.)

Got my pre-order in for Zelda today at Best Buy, but I have a question about something different. I pre-ordered the system at Gamestop, it's in my name, is it possible for my brother to go pick it up for me instead or does it have to be me?

Call your GameStop, inform then your brother will pick it up. They should note it on your account and make him show ID

Call your GameStop, inform then your brother will pick it up. They should note it on your account and make him show ID

Awesome, thanks. I just want the system to be here when I get home from work, otherwise gotta battle through more traffic to get to it. I also don't necessarily trust they will keep my system there until 8 at night, heard some horror stories of them selling others pre-orders before.

linkboy

I'm going to be super pissed if my pre-order for Zelda is screwed up (not the master edition, the regular one).

Applied some Amazon store credit to it and the order details now have

"Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

Awesome, thanks. I just want the system to be here when I get home from work, otherwise gotta battle through more traffic to get to it. I also don't necessarily trust they will keep my system there until 8 at night, heard some horror stories of them selling others pre-orders before.

Oh yea, when I worked there corporate was pretty adamant about sell through and not holding on to system preorders past 6pm. We used to get emails that basically said "sell them all, we'll get more soon"

I'm going to be super pissed if my pre-order for Zelda is screwed up (not the master edition, the regular one).

Applied some Amazon store credit to it and the order details now have

"Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."
Mine did that too so I canceled it. 1 because they canceled my Master and 2 because I need Zelda day one

DSPEED

Yeah, my standard edition had a delivery date of March 3rd, but changed to need more time for an estimate. Hope it comes on time!

linkboy

Mine did that too so I canceled it. 1 because they canceled my Master and 2 because I need Zelda day one

I'd hate to do that since I got the Prime discount and the game is only $47. If I were to cancel it and get it somewhere else, I lose that discount.

I think I'm just going to keep it. The last thing I want to do is fuck myself over.

//ARCANUM

Oh yea, when I worked there corporate was pretty adamant about sell through and not holding on to system preorders past 6pm. We used to get emails that basically said "sell them all, we'll get more soon"

Wow. That goes against everything they promise the consumer. Not saying I don't believe you, I absolutely do, it's just super shitty.

Wow. That goes against everything they promise the consumer. Not saying I don't believe you, I absolutely do, it's just super shitty.

At my store at least it was "fully paid off systems are held because we know they'll be picked up" otherwise we'd have to sell the ones with 50.00 down. Did it with 3DS and Vita at least :/

You'd just tell people that came in after we sold the system that Sony/Nintendo didn't send us enough stock to cover preorders if they asked

//ARCANUM

At my store at least it was "fully paid off systems are held because we know they'll be picked up" otherwise we'd have to sell the ones with 50.00 down. Did it with 3DS and Vita at least :/

You'd just tell people that came in after we sold the system that Sony/Nintendo didn't send us enough stock to cover preorders if they asked

Wow. That is some awful awful awful management practices. As if those wouldn't sell even if they weren't picked up after the promised 48hrs.

Tidalwave

What? Unless the pos has been updated in the 5 months I stopped working there then there is no "account info" screen that this could even be put on.
Nobody there cares who picks up whos copy
It's even as simple as him saying it there or pretending to be you. I have never seen anyone id for a preorder before.

Do you know if they will let you choose while in the line which switch you want to buy before the store ooens, or you will only be able to choose once you are inside , first come first serve basis?

If your store runs by the playbook, Best Buy would have numbered tickets for each version, walk down the line, and let everyone pick one or the other. So it would be first come first serve, but you should know as soon as they start working the line whether you will be able to get one and which colors are available to you specifically.

Seven days. One week.

Just have to get through the week.

Any one taking off school/work to play the Switch? My birthday is in February and I usually take a work day off, but this year I pushed that off to the Switch launch. The hardest part will be waiting out the window for the Switch to arrive from Amazon.

Wow, I contacted customer support for Walmart and they said my in-store pickup won't be available until March 10. I tried to change the shipping to 1 day to my house but they said it wasn't possible.

Try your luck at a midnight release and cancel your walmart order.

I can not find that Pro Controller anywhere, I guess I will skulk around that stock tracker site, but will probably just try my luck on Thursday night picking up my Switch at GS.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The BOTW special edition is up at Dell. They haves picture of the WiiU box art but since a special edition for that doesn't exist it should be the correct item.

Free expedited shipping if you use Dell's free rewards membership.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/a9550651?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A9550651

People on Slickdeals are saying this has cancellation written all over it and of course they're ordering as many as they can.

I have zero experience ordering games from Dell, but I will say that the Wii U game case picture is a bit concerning even if they have the proper description and pricing.

Holy shit... I had two Pro Controllers pre-ordered but decided I needed to be more conservative and cancelled them. Now that Switch and Zelda previews are out, I feel like a damn fool. Really hoping my Gamestop will have at least one in regular stock on launch night.

linkboy

I can not find that Pro Controller anywhere, I guess I will skulk around that stock tracker site, but will probably just try my luck on Thursday night picking up my Switch at GS.

From Amazon Japan

Costs about the same and should arrive around the 6th. I ordered mind this way.

Stay away from that card, I bought two for my son and stepdaughter's tablets and both were bad right out of the package.

Everyone is all about the Pro controller, are the Joycons really that awful? I'll be playing Zelda in portable mode with the Joycons and in TV mode using the Joycons on the grip.

I'm not seeing the dire need for the Pro controller.

What? Unless the pos has been updated in the 5 months I stopped working there then there is no "account info" screen that this could even be put on.
It's even as simple as him saying it there or pretending to be you. I have never seen anyone id for a preorder before.

From what I remember I've been ID'd before, haven't been there in a long time though, it was the only place I could get a pre-order and that trade in deal was too good to pass up. I paid in full the rest of it as well so I think I'm covered just in case I can't get it earlier.

I'm probably thinking of the old POS still haha. It's been a minute since I worked at the store, couple years

bumpkin

Everyone is all about the Pro controller, are the Joycons really that awful? I'll be playing Zelda in portable mode with the Joycons and in TV mode using the Joycons on the grip.

I'm not seeing the dire need for the Pro controller.
I'm getting one mainly for games where the Joy-Con aren't going to be a good fit. I can't play Street Fighter games with an analog stick, and using the four buttons arranged in a cross pattern isn't going to cut it.

Unfortunately I'll be working the weekend after the launch, but luckily I often have a lot of free time over my 12 hours shifts so I might get to play a bit

Magwik

Banned
Best Buy pls
2ad4d42ddd3d4650a6ff77ed6a1af524.png

Retro

My local Amazon Showroom Best Buy doesn't even know if they will be doing a midnight release, or how many units they expect to have. Gamestop is doing a midnight launch but has no idea how many units they will have for non-preorders or how they will handle them (I should think first come first serve?)

I get that it's just a video game but is this stuff really not decided until the last minute (or, more likely, I need to talk to a damn manager).

Grumble

My local Amazon Showroom Best Buy doesn't even know if they will be doing a midnight release, or how many units they expect to have. Gamestop is doing a midnight launch but has no idea how many units they will have for non-preorders or how they will handle them (I should think first come first serve?)

I get that it's just a video game but is this stuff really not decided until the last minute (or, more likely, I need to talk to a damn manager).

Grumble

Yeah... I've had that problem before. The sad truth is that Best Buy and Gamestop don't always communicate that information to their whole team. Managers will know ahead of time, but employees won't necessarily hear about it.

Shikoba

Grumble

Stuck in the same boat. My plan for now is to go to these places on Thursday, before midnight releases, and try to get a clearer answer. They should know by then.

My local Toys R Us is going to have some units, but they didn't take preorders nor are they doing a midnight release. Usually it's pretty dead in there, so I'm gonna head out there as they open next Friday and try my luck. If I get a Switch, great. If not, I'll just wait til the holiday season and Mario.

Retro

Glad I'm not the only one still in the dark, at least. Pre-orders were closed too damn quick, so I'm honna ne stuck gambling on these places having extra consoles, Zelda and Pro Controllers.

Feels bad, man.

My local Toys R Us is going to have some units, but they didn't take preorders nor are they doing a midnight release. Usually it's pretty dead in there, so I'm gonna head out there as they open next Friday and try my luck. If I get a Switch, great. If not, I'll just wait til the holiday season and Mario.

Heard the same at mine, my backup plan if Best Buy fails me is to head home, get some sleep and try TRU.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Man I wish the Switch was out today. With Mardi Gras I basically have a four-day weekend coming up and would have had a bunch of time to dig into some games.

Edit: Also I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for the UPS delivery guy next Friday...my boss likes to "accidentally" open packages I receive.

tommyguns

Just called my local GameStop which is doing a midnight opening. I do not have a pre order and was trying to figure out how many extras they will have. She told me she only received 1 extra grey unit and 1 extra neon unit. Two extra units total.

Really regret not pre ordering. (Trying to buy at GameStop because I have 200 dollars in credit there.)

Koppai

Just called my local GameStop which is doing a midnight opening. I do not have a pre order and was trying to figure out how many extras they will have. She told me she only received 1 extra grey unit and 1 extra neon unit. Two extra units total.

Really regret not pre ordering. (Trying to buy at GameStop because I have 200 dollars in credit there.)
My best buy is getting 79 grey and 17 neon and 37 grey are ordered and 10 neon are ordered. Go to best buy!!

tommyguns

My best buy is getting 79 grey and 17 neon and 37 grey are ordered and 10 neon are ordered. Go to best buy!!

Ah! Bestbuy might be my better bet. Just sucks I have all that credit at GameStop...However, I could use it on Eshop gift cards, accessories and the like.

Also, where did you get those numbers? Did you just call your local Bestbuy?

zeioIIDX

Man I wish the Switch was out today. With Mardi Gras I basically have a four-day weekend coming up and would have had a bunch of time to dig into some games.

Edit: Also I'm gonna have to keep an eye out for the UPS delivery guy next Friday...my boss likes to "accidentally" open packages I receive.

Same here. I won't be doing a damn thing for Mardi Gras here in Biloxi but my daughter won't have school for Mon, Tue, or Wed or next week so it'll be nice to just wake up a bit late and chill at home and not worry about driving her to school early in the morning. Would feel so good to play a new console with her during those days.

mjc

Best to get in line early Thursday if you can.

Top Bottom