• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo VR Boy, Ultra 64 concepts or prototypes

GigaDrive

Banned
http://www.assemblergames.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1189

virtuaboy-protopad.jpg

looks way cooler than the Virtual Boy, but I don't understand how it would function....

ultra64-proto.jpg

looks like a Famicom. like one of the guys in the originating thread, i like it more than the final Nintendo 64 design.

Oh yeah... that thing. I completely forgot that's what the Virtual Boy controller looked like. Then I only played the system a few times.

ourumov

It doesn't look bad the Ultra 64 concept design...For the US market of course...I understand JP and EU would be getting cooler designs just as it happened with the SNES.
Anyways, it's fun to see how much they considered using a CD...

Chittagong

Gold Member
Actually these pictures are "artist's impressions" from magazines, mostly in Japan I guess.

In fact, apart from NES and Super Famicom, we have not seen any substantially different prototypes or working designs of Nintendo consoles and handhelds from Nintendo itself. This is in contrast to Sega, for example, who actually showed four totally different directions from Saturn, and to Sony, who showed the whole evolution of PlayStation (including, ironically enough, the Nintendo PlayStation).

Drexon

Banned
"I understand JP and EU would be getting cooler designs just as it happened with the SNES."

Heh, I always thought the US version was cooler. :p

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Yeah, I think these are only artist's conceptions, not actual Nintendo-commissioned prototypes.

That Ultra 64 looks more or less like a Super Famicom with a memory card slot. The N64 looks much better.

Chittagong said:
This is in contrast to Sega, for example, who actually showed four totally different directions from Saturn, and to Sony, who showed the whole evolution of PlayStation (including, ironically enough, the Nintendo PlayStation).

Did they actually have a unit of it on display?

Chittagong

Gold Member
FortNinety said:
Did they actually have a unit of it on display?

Of which one? The clay / wax Saturn prototypes were featured in some magazine, one of them looked like a pyramid iirc. It might have been EGM.

The Nintendo PlayStation and the various PlayStation logotypes were featured in an official Sony history book. I have scans of the Nintendo PlayStation pictures (complete with CD-ROM, cart slot and Super Famicom controller) in my office laptop. Funnily enough, the Nintendo PlayStation logotype was in similar font, but rainbow colors. Kiddie!

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Chittagong said:
The Nintendo PlayStation and the various PlayStation logotypes were featured in an official Sony history book. I have scans of the Nintendo PlayStation pictures (complete with CD-ROM, cart slot and Super Famicom controller) in my office laptop. Funnily enough, the Nintendo PlayStation logotype was in similar font, but rainbow colors. Kiddie!
Ah, just reading that paragraph gets me thinking all over again about what could've been if that deal had gone through, instead of Nintendo acting like wankers.

The Nintendo Playstation...man. I wonder if we'd finally be living in a glorious one-console world today if that would've come to fruition?

ironichaos said:
Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if those are legit. It's in the same style as this prototype of the original NES, taken from Nintendo.com in around 1996 or so, courtesy of http://www.n-sider.com

viacoiledcablesNES.gif
These aren't legit. They're artist's impressions that were done up in response to Nintendo's initial statements about the systems. The Virtual Boy never looked like that, that was guesswork based on the fact that all we knew was that the system didn't hook up to a TV.

That sketch isn't a "prototype," either, it's concept art.

Top Bottom