• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Non-Spoiler Halo 2 impressions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
May get banned for this as the impressions are from Gamefaqs, but they seem genuine
enough and have zero spoilers - the reason I'm posting this is the poster didn't rate Halo at all.

Just as a heads up... I hate Halo 1. I think it's overrated. The single player campaign is boring, the enemies are annoying, and the weapons are unbalanced. The only redeeming factor is multiplayer, but even that pales in comparison to Tribes or Battlefield.

Enter Halo 2. I had little hopes for this one. I am currently just past the initial level and all I have to say is this... WOW.

Everything they did wrong in Halo 1, they improved 10 fold. From what I've seen, the cut&paste level design is no more. Every room feels different than the last, and each gives a unique challenge.

The graphics have taken a dramatic overhaul. As soon as you see the opening cutscene, you know that this is pushing the Xbox to it's limits, and it maintains the look throughout. Even the little things are so well done. The reticule when zoomed in looks amazing, when your shield is recharged, an electrical sphere flashes over you, etc. etc. etc.

Dual wielding is very well implimented, I won't go into the details so as to not remove the mystery, but pretty much every weapon so far can be dual wielded and you can easily chose to drop your current or secondary weapon for one on the ground and fire each weapon independant of each other (ala Red Faction 2.)

The story is very well fleshed out so far... I felt the story from Halo 1 was rather blah. This one shows SPOILER

That's all for now. I'll post more as I go along. From what I see, it's a great game, but I still feel that Half Life 2 is going to squeak by with game of the year with this being a very close second.

SPOILER editing is mine

Sounds like Bungie may actually justify the hype...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Whoa now, do you really want to be banned for something like this? I wouldn't recommend leaving that up...

dark10x
Whoa now, do you really want to be banned for something like this? I wouldn't recommend leaving that up...

I guess it maybe isn't wise considering the leak and all, but like I said, they seem like genuine impressions, and the fact that someone who didn't like Halo (or that it was blah) but thinks Halo 2 is WOW and a close GOTY contender may be of interest to some people. No spoilers or anything, so I don't see the harm personally.

MAF :-
Who the fuck cares, if this guy DOES get banned for it whoever does the banning is an idiot.

I concur!

Chipopo

Banned
no matter how these impressions came in to being, they're useless because anyone could have written them whether they played the game or not. Needs more spoilers. :p

Lakitu

st5fu
Woooooooooooo!! November 11th, can't come soon enough! Already done reading Halo: The Fall of Reach, Halo: The Flood, listened to the Halo OST and going to finish Halo then start reading Halo: First Strike. I ain't got college on November 11th, which is a great start and I'll be taking the day off November 12th too... it's gonna be bliss!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
E. Emulation/Piracy

The topics of emulation and piracy, including the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software will all result in the banning of the user in question.

Wow LETS TOSS THE TOS OUT THE WINDOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom