• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norton auto=protect is going bonkers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something about crss.exe being infected with gaobot virus, it keeps quarantining it but the alert message keeps spamming my screen

the symantec removal tool does shit all

WTF

bionic77

BigJonsson said:
Something about crss.exe being infected with gaobot virus, it keeps quarantining it but the alert message keeps spamming my screen

the symantec removal tool does shit all

WTF

Same thing happened to me. My laptop got infected at school. In the end I had to resintall everything to get rid of it. :(

The woman brought this home from class the other day. Not terribly hard to clean.

Norton and Mcafee have tools to get rid of it (Mcafee's is Stinger, Norton's slips my mind.) Just make sure to clear out your host file as it redirects everything to localhost. Once Stinger/Norton's tool kills it all off, you may have to go in to regedit and kill all the strange keys that popped up under Run and RunServices. I cleaned it before running stinger, so I had to kill the services, manually delete them from windows\system32 and then clean the registry. The registry will close in 2/3 seconds automatically if the infected service is still going.

Mashing

go into your services control panel (type servies.msc at the run prompt) and disable the Config (or Configuration) Loader service... reboot your machine, and clean run a full system scan (or download stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp)

That should get rid of gaobot.

Edit: I'm not exactly sure if gaobot is the one that puts that in the services control panel... it may not be there... If not, follow the previous posters advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom