• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD TOP 15s

explodet

July:
SUPER MARIO CLASSIC $1,206,788 62,157
ZELDA CLASSIC $932,765 48,013

June:
SUPER MARIO CLASSIC $2,144,496 110,627
ZELDA CLASSIC $2,000,679 102,166

Total:
SUPER MARIO CLASSIC $3,351,284 172,784
ZELDA CLASSIC $2,933,444 150,179

That's just sick.

u_neek

jedimike said:
I've always heard 3 to 4 million...

What about big productions like Final Fantasy and so on..

and what about Shenmue? I remember it as being a damn expensive affair for Sega..

AirBrian

u_neek said:
I always wondered.. how much are the average development costs for a game?!
It really depends. I think I read somewhere that the average was between $2 M and $5 M. However, porting between systems is a different story and is usually significantly less.

Memles

Was this the month that Harvest Moon officially passed Twin Snakes? Was it? We need MGS:TS numbers, stat.

Nothing overly surprising...Football sells well. Not exactly a news flash. Good sales for TOS though.

Odysseus

Banned
Memles said:
Nothing overly surprising...Football sells well. Not exactly a news flash.

Except on GameCube. Holy cow, those are some atrocious figures. To think that they are actually an improvement...

Mrbob

Damn. ESPN is cleaning house.

I misread those Wedbush estimates. I thought it meant 300K for the pair. Over 300K each. Hell, over 800K for both. That was only 8 days of sales too folks. ESPN2K5 will do another million in August between both consoles. The 20 dollar gamble looks to be paying off for Sega/Take Two. I'm actually shocked at how much the PS2 version sold. EA doesn't have the same type of stranglehold on Xbox as it does on PS2. Madden will get its 4-5million sell through between all the consoles. However I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN gets 2.5-3 million sold through total. Which would be a huge victory. Yes its only 20 bucks to Maddens 50 but they are getting gamers to check out their game too.

Except on GameCube. Holy cow, those are some atrocious figures. To think that they are actually an improvement...

Well sports football is a driving force in the NA market and Gamecube is severly lacking in the feature department in this area. I.E. leagues and online play. Not to mention lack of storage space in the beginning (Memory card 59 wasn't big enough to save full franchises) and a controller which isn't condusive to sports gaming.

jarrod

Banned
Odysseus said:
Funny though, outside sports games the GameCube numbers seem fairly competitive.

cvxfreak

Nintendo GBA Totals:

Pokemon Ruby: 2,107,772
Pokemon Sapphire: 1,903,501
Super Mario Bros. 3: 1,249,281
Classic NES Super Mario Bros.: 172,784
Classic NES Zelda I: 150,179
Mario Golf GBA Tour: 83,587
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: 212,377

Mrbob

jarrod said:
Funny though, outside sports games the GameCube numbers seem fairly competitive.

Unfortunately for Nintendo sports gaming is a huge segment of the gaming market.

explodet

Well, another reason for the increased sales for NCAA and ESPN (and then Madden, of course) could be the absence of MS's Fever and Sony's Gameday.

With only the two brands this year, it's good news for Sega/Take Two and EA.
Mrbob said:
Not to mention lack of storage space in the beginning (Memory card 59 wasn't big enough to save full franchises) and a controller which isn't condusive to sports gaming.
Yup, they stumbled out of the gate at this hurdle and are playing catch up with the sports market, who went to the other consoles.

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
Unfortunately for Nintendo sports gaming is a huge segment of the gaming market.
True, it's always been a problem for Nintendo consoles post NES. GameCube's definitely a step in the right direction after N64 though, Nintendo just needs to make sure their sports games next gen match the competition feature for feature.

Memles

CVXFREAK said:
Mario Golf GBA Tour: 83,587

This better keep selling 30k each month for the rest of the year, or I'm going to get pissed. It's an awesome game, and deserves more. But, I guess the golf market on the GBA just isn't strong enough, or something. Mind you, MG:TT didn't sell all that stupendously either, but it's still far too low for such a great game.

bunkum

Mia OW

PS2 CATWOMAN $371,549 9,335
XBX CATWOMAN $154,832 3,883
GCN CATWOMAN $137,989 3,462
GBA CATWOMAN $58,442 1,952

B E N K E

Big drop for Riddick... Hopefully it can gain some second wind, but I think the movie killed the game.

Spider-man 2 - Very impressive sales.

ESPN - Last ditch attempt succesful? Good for Sega - nice move Take Two.

Mashing

Mrbob said:
Well sports football is a driving force in the NA market and Gamecube is severly lacking in the feature department in this area. I.E. leagues and online play. Not to mention lack of storage space in the beginning (Memory card 59 wasn't big enough to save full franchises) and a controller which isn't condusive to sports gaming.

IAWTP

Nintendo couldn't have fucked up any worse if they tried as far as sports are concerned.

bunkum said:
I'll do a full listing tomorrow afternoon

**** tease!

Just kidding. It'll allow for lots of idle speculation until then.

Anybody look to see who won the Software prediction derby. I've been at dinner for the past couple of hours.

Dracor

This game, unfortunately, will be quickly forgotten in the Madden hype. It will not sell well at Christmas. It will be a very, very big stretch to hit 1 million, but even having the possibility is unbelievable.

You think the sales will go from 790k in August, to not even selling 210k in the next 4 months of sales?

It will be 1 mill by Sept... Oct at the latest

Dracor said:
You think the sales will go from 790k in August, to not even selling 210k in the next 4 months of sales?

It will be 1 mill by Sept... Oct at the latest

If you read the persons post that I quoted ...

teepo said:
GO SEGA :)

this makes me really happy. i see 1 million+ sales on each console alone for espn2k5. this game will sell like hotcakes in xmas :)

You would see that they were saying it would hit a million on each console, not combined. I'm sure it's already well past a million at this point combined.

Vargas

I did not expect those sales for TOS. Hopefully it eventually reaches 250,000 eclipsing my prediection of just 180,000.

Vargas said:
I did not expect those sales for TOS. Hopefully it eventually reaches 250,000 eclipsing my prediection of just 180,000.

Namco must be a very happy first party. Now Baiten Kaitos must surely sell well (but I am concerned about the stupidity of the card battle gameplay :()

nitewulf

wow, good for sega. they should do whatever it takes to keep VC, in time VC could turn out to be a cash cow for sega.
good numbers for TOS, good to see Sudeki sorta bombed.

DrLazy

Mrbob said:
You had me until the end there. I've heard this argument, but I can't really understand it. I've played sports games that work fine on the cube, even if there's one less button, what's the big deal?

Otherwise I couldn't agree more that Nintendo has fucked up. They despertly need to attract sports gamers if they plan on remaining competitive in the next console cycle. The best move would be to buy Visual Concepts (I know it's not going to happen) or try to find a new exclusive sports developer. Sure Microsoft sports brand flopped, and 989 is a joke, but just having an assortment to choose from attracts gamers and makes it a "sports system." Obviously matching features like online play and a decent fucking memory card is a good idea as well.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
For the billionth time. BK is not a card battling RPG.

I'm surprised by ToS. Does that officially making it the best selling Tales of game here in the States?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Mejilan said:

I'm surprised by ToS. Does that officially making it the best selling Tales of game here in the States?

Yeah, I don't think the last Tales game even sold half of what TOS sold.

Vargas

Mejilan said:

I think it needs to sell maybe 10,000 more copies to have outsold both ToD and ToE here in the states. Not to take anything away from ToS but it was destined to outsell the previous games in the series here in North America. I hope this bodes well for all the RPGs coming from Namco on all consoles.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
G-d... outselling both ToD AND ToE? How exactly was ToS destined to outsell both combined, let alone any of the individually?

Vargas

Mejilan said:
G-d... outselling both ToD AND ToE? How exactly was ToS destined to outsell both combined, let alone any of the individually?

The last two Tales games had a fight ahead of them. Tales of Destiny looked like a SNES game and RPGs were still not so hot. Tales of Eternia was released in September of 2001. Poeple had moved on to the PS2 and only the most die hard of fans even sought the game out. Also there is the the point that certain games sell better on Nintendo consoles. Maybe it can be attributed to a drought, maybe they buy great games but some games just sell more. That is why I think it was destined to sell more than the other two games combined. Maybe I am just crazy.

Top Bottom