• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD TOP 15s

Eric-GCA

Banned
God, I really do hate the fact that the North American market is only home to Sports and Licensed games. Probably one of the reasons I love the GameCube is that it doesn't cater to either of those genres (well, except for licenses from third parties).

Its too bad that the average consumer in NA only seems to be concerned with the latest edition of Football games.

In fact, I hope Nintendo never starts to cater to Sports gamers, cause catering to sports gamers is catering to sheep who turn down originality and creativity in favor of the same damn thing over and over again each year.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hell, I purchased ToD and ToE myself, but I'm really surprised. Man, I hope Namco takes note and starts treating their US fans better in the future. Cubers seem to be latching onto Namco recently.

cvxfreak

Mejilan said:
Hell, I purchased ToD and ToE myself, but I'm really surprised. Man, I hope Namco takes note and starts treating their US fans better in the future. Cubers seem to be latching onto Namco recently.

Soul Calibur II, PacMan World 2 and now Tales of Symphonia.

Geez, Namco ought to announce a port of Rebirth to GameCube just on the basis of U.S. sales alone, just like the extra Japanese sales justified a port of Symphonia to PS2.

Prine

Banned
Eric-GCA said:
cause catering to sports gamers is catering to sheep who turn down originality and creativity in favor of the same damn thing over and over again each year.

So you hate that gamers ignore certian titles, yet in actual fact, you are doing the same. Ignoring a certain type of game. A bit hypocritical dont you think?

Both Madden and ESPN are extremly well done titles, same with many sports games (Winning Eleven, Top Spin, Tiger Woods, Links, Amped).

P90

Mejilan said:

Nintendo/Namco merger! do it now! Seriously.

GhaleonEB

P90 said:
I'll take that bet. No way does Halo2 outsell GTA: VC in the US. Or do you mean that Halo2 is PS2 bound?

The former - I think it will be very, very close. Halo will be at close to 4 million units by the end of the year in NA - I think Halo 2 will exceed that by a good margin in it's lifetime.

Soul4ger

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A relatively large third-party could step up on the GameCube and really make a difference, for itself and the console. Namco is in a prime position to do it, especially with GC owners taking to a lot of its games. It could build franchises, like Tales, on the system in North America. There's no chance of doing that on the PS2, just expanding on ones, like Ridge Racer and Tekken. And whether people care about those anymore or not remains to be seen, really.

cvxfreak

Kobun Heat said:
Halo 2 outselling Vice City?! I don't think I'd take that bet.

Me neither. I'm not even sure if Halo 2 can outsell Halo 1 if the Xbox sequel trend continues (PG2/PGR2, SC/SCPT). But comparisons are superficial at best, we'll have to see.

I really hope a Tales sequel is on its way to the cube. Really, the battle system in ToS is so very fun. And because you can avoid battling if trying to solve a puzzle, battling never feels like a chore.

Also, I really love how the game looks, like a storybook. I really appreciate how jaggies, and other such stuff don't exist, reminding you you're playing an rpg.

Good numbers, and I hope the game continues to sell well with the increase of units made, and strong word of mouth.

Meier

My Excel spreadsheet for GBA games I was using was left at home so I'll have to go about doing a new one from my data from last month.. busy today, so I can't get to it but since we dont have bunkum's full list anyway, it's no big deal really.

P90

Gorgie said:
I really hope a Tales sequel is on its way to the cube. Really, the battle system in ToS is so very fun. And because you can avoid battling if trying to solve a puzzle, battling never feels like a chore.

Also, I really love how the game looks, like a storybook. I really appreciate how jaggies, and other such stuff don't exist, reminding you you're playing an rpg.

Good numbers, and I hope the game continues to sell well with the increase of units made, and strong word of mouth.

Everything you said and then some. thumbs up.

NWO

GhaleonEB said:
The former - I think it will be very, very close. Halo will be at close to 4 million units by the end of the year in NA - I think Halo 2 will exceed that by a good margin in it's lifetime.

It's lifetime? The Xbox is only going to be around for another year or so.

If Halo 2 sells 2 million this year. And then 2 million next year. And then 2 million the next year.

IT STILL WON'T PASS GTA3 & VICE CITY!!!

The Xbox only has 10 million sold in the US and getting 6+ million off of that would be something that's not going to happen. Even if its 12 million that means 1 in every 2 owners will own the game and I don't see that happening. Yeah that won't happen.

The only place that Xbox and PS2 are on the same level is in MS press releases and people need to learn that in reality the PS2 is miles ahead of the Xbox. Doesn't it have over 50 million in the US? Halo 2 could do those numbers off of a 50 million userbase but the Xbox won't be approaching that anytime soon.

Originally posted by me on 7/21/2004:
BOE, I'm not really seeing the summer releases for Xbox that are making Nintendo lose mindshare. I probably shouldn't be making predictions (addressing the man who has egg on his face), but I'd say TOS outsells Sudeki in July and through the end of August.

TALES OF SYMPHONIA $5,885,317 118,507
SUDEKI 2084791 41917

Wow, I'm good at predicting the obvious. I should do it more to boost my ego. Yet even I'm surprised by the huge margin of victory.

P90

Journeywalker said:
TALES OF SYMPHONIA $5,885,317 118,507
SUDEKI 2084791 41917

Wow, I'm good at predicting the obvious. I should do it more to boost my ego. Yet even I'm surprised by the huge margin of victory.

NOt to deflate your ego too much, but Sudeki sux and Tos is very good. (Kicks KOTOR @ss, in quality, as well.) It will be interesting to see ToS' sales on PS2.

P90

TheGreenGiant said:
TOS > Kotor? I wouldn't go around throwing that out and around.

anytime. anyday. what an over rated ball of meh KOTOR was. worst battle system known to man. Decent story. did I mention crappy battle system? How about lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLlllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooDidooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooyouooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooknowooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnthatnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnthennnnnnnnnnnnNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnJedinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggglikeggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggtoggggggggggggggggggggggggGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggscratchgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggtheirggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggnutsggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggginggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggpublicgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg load times?

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
SEGA Sports has boosted their presence - mission accomplished. If their increased visibility can get consumers to at least consider ESPN when they go to the store to buy EA, they'll keep up some of their sales momentum throughout the season. They're already at their target pricepoint, so now the only thing that can harm them is some kind of counter pricing move by EA.

Alcibiades

Wow, Pokemon RuSa outsold Halo, how the heck are they still selling this much? I didn't realize they were still this popular, and FireRed and LeafGreen should be some topsellers this Christmas I guess, not to mention the fact that they could end up in the Top 10 yearly sales...

Don't know how pre-orders are for you guys, but other than Halo 2 and San Andreas, at the Best Buy I work at, Pokemon FiGre is doing some good pre-orders, even to some people who didn't take the free booklet...

I bet the games are more popular than all the Yu-Gi-Oh ones combined...

cvxfreak

^You'd be right. I doubt Fire Red and Leaf Green can outdo Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, but I'm sure they'll be able to outdo Halo 2 and the others. I expect around 3 Million for 2004, another 2 Million in 2005. Meanwhile RuSa should be able to sell another 1 Million easily this generation; they sell so consistently and Emerald should be a hit out here, too if it's released early enough.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I wonder how the $20 Sega sports titles would have done on the GameCube. Hmm...

I know, I'll sound like an elitist, but I despise "realistic" sports games... although I'm wondering if it's only because they are annual releases of what amounts to the same game. I have a hard time thinking of any game as being "good" when it appears to have a shelf life of just about one year.

Yes, I know, that's a lousy way to look at it, but I'm viewing it from the stance of a long time gamer who finds the Genesis noteworthy mostly because of the fact that I have to wade through seas of sports titles before I can find anything good in the used game shops.

I wonder if we'll ever see NON-annual "real" sporting titles again... perhaps just using free roster updates.

Acrylamid

Datawhore said:
Gamecube

15 HARVEST MOON:WONDRFUL 22,069

XBX

10 RED DEAD REVOLVER 21,434
11 SOUL CALIBUR II 20,361
12 CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK 20,317
13 GRAND THEFT AUTO PACK 19,822
14 T. CLANCYS PANDORA 19,796
15 MORROWIND:GAME YEAR 19,200

IIRC, the games in the lower ranks of the top 15 have always sold a lot worse on the Cube than on the XBox...

thorns

Banned
Acrylamid said:
IIRC, the games in the lower ranks of the top 15 have always sold a lot worse on the Cube than on the XBox...

A big difference of 1,000, huh? If you add up all the numbers for the top 15 xbox is almost twice that of the cube.

Chrono

Banned
OK.. so I'm not big on sales numbers and stuff. Let me clarify a few things: The number on the far right is the number of units sold right? And the one to its left is the total sales in dollars? Now, exactly what the fuck does 92660 mean for Halo? It sold LESS then 100k? I know I'm missing something here... that makes no sense considering how big the game is. And what about Ninja Gaiden? 13k? huh? -__-

Anyway I'm happy for TOS. :)

Is there anyway to estimate how much of that revenue goes to Namco as profit? After considering the seller's share (ebgames etc..), game budget, and any other fee?

AniHawk

Chrono said:
OK.. so I'm not big on sales numbers and stuff. Let me clarify a few things: The number on the far right is the number of units sold right? And the one to its left is the total sales in dollars? Now, exactly what the fuck does 92660 mean for Halo? It sold LESS then 100k? I know I'm missing something here... that makes no sense considering how big the game is. And what about Ninja Gaiden? 13k? huh? -__-

Anyway I'm happy for TOS. :)

Is there anyway to estimate how much of that revenue goes to Namco as profit? After considering the seller's share (ebgames etc..), game budget, and any other fee?

It's how much it sold for the month.

These aren't cumulative sales, they're sales for July 2004. Anihawk and others keep grand totals for a bunch of games, which will eventually spawn more threads on the front page about numbers. And some of these numbers actually make people look foolish, like the blinding dawn of reality on BeOnEdge's phantom Xbox uprising. And in about a month, we'll be doing this all over again.

edit:...darn I'm slow. I should go to sleep.

Alcibiades

some Gamecube YTD totals for some games mentioned:

Double Dash - 379,086
Smash Bros. - 292,914
Pokemon Colosseum - 630,902
A Wonderful Life - 190,966
Shrek 2 - 151,398
Four Swords Adventure - 154,085
The Prisoner of Azkaban - 107,966
Spiderman 2 - 199,513
Megaman Anniversary - 127,191

some Gamecube LTD for some games mentioned:

SSBM - 2,363,979
Mario Kart - 1,636,625
Luigi's Mansion - 1,434,135

Sonic Mega Collection totals since going Player's Choice in April: 154,085

Alcibiades

Journeywalker said:
These aren't cumulative sales, they're sales for July 2004. Anihawk and others keep grand totals for a bunch of games, which will eventually spawn more threads on the front page about numbers. And some of these numbers actually make people look foolish, like the blinding dawn of reality on BeOnEdge's phantom Xbox uprising. And in about a month, we'll be doing this all over again.

with no hardware numbers, your assertion about BOE's box uprising is a phantom in itself...

AniHawk

Journeywalker said:

Yeah, I do Nintendo published GC numbers, and a few other things (usually in the NPD thread). I do one for all of Sega's stuff monthly, Meier does a thread for Nintendo published GBA numbers, efralope does nonsports Sega charts, and Subitai does MS Xbox totals (usually in the NPD thread).

Prine

Banned
P90 said:
NOt to deflate your ego too much, but Sudeki sux and Tos is very good. (Kicks KOTOR @ss, in quality, as well.) It will be interesting to see ToS' sales on PS2.

i've played through ToS, and i can safely say its nowhere near as great as KOTOR. imo 7/10

A very polished JRPG. Not GOTY quality like KOTOR

Deg

Banned
Eric-GCA said:
God, I really do hate the fact that the North American market is only home to Sports and Licensed games.

Big sports games are liscenced sports games ;) Bear in mind not all succssuful games use liscences. Some dont use any whatsoever.

Funny because Gamecube has highest shit ratio in its top 15 compared to PS2 and Xbox.

If shit means good than yeah.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
LOL, from what I've heard about KOTOR, it wasn't very good... clunky battle system, plain graphics (I've seen the box), and not to mention it's Star Wars (which I detest... 3 old movies, that, while good for their time, have been through the pop culture grinder, and 2 horrible movies). I highly doubt much of anything is gonna top TOS this year, RPG wise... well aside from SO3... It's good to see TOS sell over 100,000, but it's gotta do better than that... hopefully Namco has pressed some more copies, but it seems like word of mouth is really carrying this game. Unfortunately, it wasn't hyped very much to begin with...

Top Bottom