• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR: "Jeah! We Mapped Out The 4 Basic Aspects Of Being A 'Bro'"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenovox1

Are you the ultimate bro?

What up, bro? What's good, brah?

This is the chant of the bro, an equally parodied and celebrated genus of young men. (They've been designated "bros" mostly because, well, they say "bro" a whole lot.)

The usage of "bro" as a term of endearment isn't new, obviously. (As the indispensable Know Your Meme points out in a useful short history, people have been abbreviating "brother" this way for centuries, although its iteration as a synonym for "friend" — or more accurately, "friend-dude" — is much more recent.) Over the past decade or so, though, "bro" has evolved into a shorthand for a specific kind of fratty masculinity. Baseball cap with the frayed brim (possibly backward), sky-blue oxford shirt or sports team shirt, cargo shorts, maybe some mandals or boat shoes. Y'all know who we mean. These cats right here.

The other day, the Code Switch team fell into a winding conversation about bros, as we're wont to do regarding all sorts of seemingly trivial topics. After a Code Switcher described a person of color as being a bro, some of us wondered whether the description even made sense. Uh, weren't bros fratty white guys? Could dudes of color be bros independently of white bros? Or are they just like That Brown Friend in all those beer commercials — bro-y due to his social proximity to white bros?

Is bro-ness, well, raced? We asked folks to conjure up an image of a typical bro in their mind's eye. What race is that dude in your head? Most people nearby said that guy was probably white.

We tossed the question out to Twitter.

[50+ screenshots of all the responses is available on their site.]

And this is the chart they came up with. A highly detailed Venn diagram featuring famous male celebs.

ft3JLHb.jpg

Jockishness

Bros can be schlubby or scrawny, to be sure. But physical prowess, particularly in sports, seems to be a major part of the construction and performance of bro-ishness. Does the putative bro play a team sport? (And is that sport lacrosse?) Is the party thought of as his team's inspirational leader? Does the party somehow manage to juggle a sporting life and his salubrious appetite for alcohol? That bro ranks high on our jockishness index. Fist bump!

Dudeliness

Dudeliness is one's propensity to do bro things with other bros. You talk with your bros about bro things, and you conspire to do bro things with your bros. Dudeliness is a measure of homosociality, a fancy gender studies term for what folks often call bromances — very close, platonic friendships between people of the same sex. A particularly dudely bro is someone you usually think of as an intrinsic part of a larger pack of bros. (Would that be a murder of bros?)

Preppiness

We're thinking less ascot-and-yacht preppy and more Abercrombie and Fitch preppy. The bro uniform isn't Brooks Brothers, but the sons of guys who wear Brooks Brothers. A bro's sartorial inclinations are conservatively casual. But in the event that a bro does suit up, it's all Barney from How I Met Your Mother: a nice suit that doesn't look like he's trying too hard.) A lot of people suggested that bros gleefully wield their social privilege. (But privilege and preppiness doesn't automatically equate with bro-dom; Carlton Banks, for instance, would be no one's idea of a bro.)

Stoner-ishness

We don't use the stoner tag lightly; the racial politics of actual weed consumption are pretty complicated. Stoner-ish bros don't necessarily get high, but they do have a surfer vibe, and probably a speaking voice that simultaneously expresses both relaxation and bewilderment. This isn't to say that stoner-y bros aren't smart; James Franco is by many accounts a really intelligent dude behind his stoner-bro veneer.

(NPR News)

Full article and funny NPR commenters at the source.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I feel like this light hearted piece is going to just be taken seriously and some heated discussion will happen.

I'm a stoner bro. I guess.

Tebow is about as non-bro as it gets without wearing an argyle sweater vest.

Seriously, who is going to go to Tebow and talk about their epic keg stand or whatever. No one, that's who.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nice effort but I disagree completely. The person who made this is in no way a brah of mine nor do they understand the core tenets of being a bro.

Tebow is about as non-bro as it gets without wearing an argyle sweater vest.

Seriously, who is going to go to Tebow and talk about their epic keg stand or whatever. No one, that's who.

I definitely knew some hardcore Christian bros in my college years. That's the most distinct kind. "What's up bro, hey do you have a relatonship with our savior Jesus Christ?"

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Jay Cutler is way more Jockish bro than Tim Tebow. When I see Tebow, I think of Christian Conservative rather than Bro. He's pretty unique in the sports world.

Talon

I definitely knew some hardcore Christian bros in my college years. That's the most distinct kind. "What's up bro, hey do you have a relatonship with our savior Jesus Christ?"
Christian bros are the friendliest bros.

All they do is play softball and basketball and listen to crappy music. They live life in order to be super friendly and enthusiastic.

Hunter S.

Well I guess I most closely resemble Matthew McConaughey. I am cool with that. Glad we got science making sense for once.

MIMIC

Banned
Never heard of Armie Hammer before.

But I stumbled across an interview Ryan Lochte did (I was trying to source the GIF of that woman from FOX laughing) and I agree with its conclusion.

ToxicAdam

I came in ready to tear this down, but they did a pretty good job.

Nick Swisher or former kicker Jeff Reed would have been good selections, but they aren't as mainstream.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't understand the preppiness part. To me, anyone overly concerned about their attire is not a bro.

Achieving a preppy look doesn't require an especially great amount of effort, though. It's also not about standing out from the crowd, so it doesn't involve that form of concern, either.

It's not like a hipster thing with tons of layers and components and complicated hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom