• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia stock plummets almost 10%

Fahdis

Wiping out a staggering $280 billion in market value, after the DOJ issued a subpoena as part of an antitrust investigation.

The DOJ is probing whether Nvidia is using its market dominance to penalize customers who don't exclusively use its AI and computer chips.

The sharp decline in Nvidia's stock is the largest single-day loss in the history of the U.S. stock market, signaling significant investor concerns over potential regulatory challenges ahead.

Source: Cointelegraph

a dent in the stock price doesn`t concern a company with near 80% margin and cash flow on par with Google....

That´s not even worth a half-bow to the investors.

RCX

at this point, their gaming GPUs are an afterthought to their primary revenue stream - AI.
Agreed. We really need some genuine competition in the GPU market. Just cant see how thats ever going to happen

Three

a dent in the stock price doesn`t concern a company with near 80% margin and cash flow on par with Google....

That´s not even worth a half-bow to the investors.

"Wiping out a staggering $280 billion in market value"
That's a pretty huge drop even for nvidia.

bighugeguns

Wiping out a staggering $280 billion in market value, after the DOJ issued a subpoena as part of an antitrust investigation.

The DOJ is probing whether Nvidia is using its market dominance to penalize customers who don't exclusively use its AI and computer chips.

The sharp decline in Nvidia's stock is the largest single-day loss in the history of the U.S. stock market, signaling significant investor concerns over potential regulatory challenges ahead.

Source: Cointelegraph
Yes and it "plummeted" before the news even broke, stock market is a big scam.

willothedog

This might be the reason.

nah, the market took a dive.
AMD down 8%
Intel down 9%
Apple down 3%

Three

Yes and it "plummeted" before the news even broke, stock market is a big scam.
Yep, either some people knew and sold before it went public or it was due to the slowdown.
What I want to know is did Pelosi sell her shares and was it right before the supoenae?

Mega corporations need to get fucked. Stay humble.

wake up burn GIF

spons

Gold Member
Good correction for an overinflated stock price.

I have zero experience with the stock market by the way. The gains of the last couple of months just felt like bullshit.

All good, NVIDIA and the rest of the gang will go back up next year after they reveal the Blackwell sales at datacenter level.

In general the entire market is down not just MAG7 or Semi Conductor companies, at the end of the day.. Red September always arrives

Hudo

at this point, their gaming GPUs are an afterthought to their primary revenue stream - AI.
Let's hope the pricing will reflect their GPUs being an afterthought...

it won't.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Jensen about to bury DOJ which is basically Department of Joke. Instead of educating investors and investing in financial education it's always taxes fines , insider trading all that stuff. Nvidia is poised because it took punches to gut when it invested hardware for AI. There was much lol for DLSS, there was Hardware Unboxed drama, who wants ML and who wants RT well on the RT front even I am partially wrong. Nvidia won so nows lets rob them through backgate.

Allandor

Currently Nvidia is massively overrated. People just heard from their success and something with AI and the company was overrated in an instant. Now it normalizes a bit.
The AI sector is still shaping and there can be much more efficient ways to make it happen in hardware. GPUs were just available with high compute and high memory on board. But sooner or later specialized hardware will be used that is much more efficient. Than the AI market will be much less focused on Nvidia and stocks will fall again.

Jensen about to bury DOJ which is basically Department of Joke. Instead of educating investors and investing in financial education it's always taxes fines , insider trading all that stuff. Nvidia is poised because it took punches to gut when it invested hardware for AI. There was much lol for DLSS, there was Hardware Unboxed drama, who wants ML and who wants RT well on the RT front even I am partially wrong. Nvidia won so nows lets rob them through backgate.

I have an Nvidia card and I sure as hell don’t want DLSS. A few years after its intro and it’s become the default state to running games, when originally it was only meant for ultra high frame rates.

I also love how my 3070 has trouble running higher textures for newer games due to only having 8GB of VRAM.

8GB was low even when the card was first released.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
OMG 10%? WOW

So, they are probably going to go out of business and its seems AMD might buy them /s

TrueLegend

I have an Nvidia card and I sure as hell don’t want DLSS. A few years after its intro and it’s become the default state to running games, when originally it was only meant for ultra high frame rates.

I also love how my 3070 has trouble running higher textures for newer games due to only having 8GB of VRAM.

8GB was low even when the card was first released.
I fully support you but that is seperate issue Nvidia didn't quash competition. You are literally saying Nvidia gave competitors enough opportunities. I have a 3070 btw. Apart from few games who are shit to begin with 3070 is probably the best card ever made and it was sold so much the used market is ripe with it. I do agree the 8 gb really hurts its RT capabilities. But with DLSS you can play control full RT on at 4k60 with VRR and so I don't think DLSS should be blamed from devs being lazy. Nvidia also developed neutral texture compression that nobody is using, so Nvidia is not anticompetitive. You should see AMD pricing in non us markets. Basically given the opportunity AMD is going worse compared to Intel and Nvidia in terms of what it is providing.

I fully support you but that is seperate issue Nvidia didn't quash competition. You are literally saying Nvidia gave competitors enough opportunities. I have a 3070 btw. Apart from few games who are shit to begin with 3070 is probably the best card ever made and it was sold so much the used market is ripe with it. I do agree the 8 gb really hurts its RT capabilities. But with DLSS you can play control full RT on at 4k60 with VRR and so I don't think DLSS should be blamed from devs being lazy. Nvidia also developed neutral texture compression that nobody is using, so Nvidia is not anticompetitive. You should see AMD pricing in non us markets. Basically given the opportunity AMD is going worse compared to Intel and Nvidia in terms of what it is providing.

Are you kidding? They’ve had plenty of history in this regard. Here’s a documentary six years ago:

That’s just the tip of the iceberg…they’re the ones that started the whole Nvidia-the way it’s meant to be played BS, buying up Physx and trying to corner the market with it.

I’m not cheering for any of these companies, AMD is arguably the “least evil” (Vulkan, FSR, Freesync, etc.), albeit they have some BS too.

Nvidia on the other hand locks almost everything down.

Sentenza

Its overpriced
It's not. Their value will only keep raising over the years.
They put themselves in the unique position of being basically the only manufacturers for AI-related processing in the next few years.

Temporary fluctuations don't mean shit.

TrueLegend

I
Are you kidding? They’ve had plenty of history in this regard. Here’s a documentary six years ago:

That’s just the tip of the iceberg…they’re the ones that started the whole Nvidia-the way it’s meant to be played BS, buying up Physx and trying to corner the market with it.

I’m not cheering for any of these companies, AMD is arguably the “least evil” (Vulkan, FSR, Freesync, etc.), albeit they have some BS too.

Nvidia on the other hand locks almost everything down.

Agree with you but you started with DLSS and I already said that all company do some anticonsumer stuff but AMD is doing worse and anticonsumer and anticompetitive is another thing. Abusing leading position is what nvidia is doing but it is not gaining that position by abusing competition. These are shitty practises but not technically anticompetitive one. You have to understand small time hitting on competitors is also a part of being competitive. Nvidia can't offer a bucket of Tomato to AMD and say hit me.

Agree with you but you started with DLSS and I already said that all company do some anticonsumer stuff but AMD is doing worse and anticonsumer and anticompetitive is another thing. Abusing leading position is what nvidia is doing but it is not gaining that position by abusing competition. These are shitty practises but not technically anticompetitive one. You have to understand small time hitting on competitors is also a part of being competitive. Nvidia can't offer a bucket of Tomato to AMD and say hit me.

Yes but establishing relationships in a certain way that prevents your competition from competing on equal grounds is.

It’s the same reason the FTC’s eyebrows got raised when MS purchased Activision Blizzard and it seemed like the IPs might not be on PS anymore. Same logic.

TrueLegend

Ok
Yes but establishing relationships in a certain way that prevents your competition from competing on equal grounds is.

It’s the same reason the FTC’s eyebrows got raised when MS purchased Activision Blizzard and it seemed like the IPs might not be on PS anymore. Same logic.
Ok let me make this simple, Do you think DOJ is doing this because it cares about consumers?

Ok

Ok let me make this simple, Do you think DOJ is doing this because it cares about consumers?

I would like to think there are at least some honest people still left in government, but I don’t truly know what happens behind the scenes and neither do you.

Anything we say is pure speculation.

srerwws

Neo Member
I fully support you but that is seperate issue Nvidia didn't quash competition. You are literally saying Nvidia gave competitors enough opportunities. I have a 3070 btw. Apart from few games who are shit to begin with 3070 is probably the best card ever made and it was sold so much the used market is ripe with it. I do agree the 8 gb really hurts its RT capabilities. But with DLSS you can play control full RT on at 4k60 with VRR and so I don't think DLSS should be blamed from devs being lazy. Nvidia also developed neutral texture compression that nobody is using, so Nvidia is not anticompetitive fintechzoom. You should see AMD pricing in non us markets. Basically given the opportunity AMD is going worse compared to Intel and Nvidia in terms of what it is providing.
The AI bubble is about to burst, and no one is safe.Anticonsumer behavior and anticompetitive practices are distinct; Nvidia may abuse its leading position, but it didn't acquire that position through unethical competition.

Top Bottom