• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

monkeyrun

the androgyne said:
dsl-crowd-control.jpg

BANG!
:lol :lol :lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
jesus. if it's really that much brighter than micro and psp then it's uh...really damned bright. as someone said, a good lcd isn't just about using a tiny sun as a backlight, but the current ds is too dim, and i'm sure there's a brightness setting on the new one that looks really good. i think i'll get one at us launch.

sammy

is there really a shortage of the White DS lite? or is it because the colors aren't releasing that a shortage is registered??

cvxfreak

sammy said:
is there really a shortage of the White DS lite? or is it because the colors aren't releasing that a shortage is registered??

Probably a little of both, more so to the lack of other colors.

JeffDowns said:
Nice coverage man. Did you offer to buy the freezing lady a coffee as well? :) BTW, are the Hori screen protectors specifically made for the new hardware? I believe I saw some photos but I can't recall.

Thanks for all the feedback. A pleasure to share a piece of this experience with fellow GAFers.

JeffDowns, sorry for the late reply. Actually the freezing lady was number 41 :)

The Hori film is specific for the DS Lite, but they were pushing old DS protection film as well in parallel, so both seems to work. I didn't bother to buy any as I want as little filtering betwen my DSL and my retina as possible. Also, if it starts to get messy, I will have a good excuse to pass it on to family and buy a new color iteration for myself in 6 months or so :D.

mj1108

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20060302p2a00m0et016000c.html

Fans snap up new Nintendo DS Lite game consoles

Crowds lined up in Tokyo's Akihabara electronics district on Thursday to snap up "Nintendo DS Lite" game consoles, the newly released version of Nintendo's popular dual screen game device.

"Yodobashi Camera Multimedia Akiba," a giant electronics store in the Akihabara district, opened its doors at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, one hour earlier than normal, after fans wanting to buy the console starting forming lines outside the store.

"Sales are much faster than when (the original) DS went on sale," said deputy store manager Yasushi Kato. Tickets handed out to the first 470 people who arrived were gone shortly after 8 a.m.

The Nintendo DS console has been in short supply since the end of last year. About 6 million consoles have been sold since its release in December 2004, making it one of the fastest spreading home video-game devices.

The device is popular not just for its regular games, but also for software that adults can enjoy, such as "No-o Kitaeru Otona-no DS Training," a game developed to help people stimulate brain activity, and "Oide yo Dobutsu no Mori" (Animal Crossing).

On Thursday many middle-aged and elderly men and women were seen lining up outside the store. One university student who lined up said she wasn't interested in games.

"I don't play games, but I want to study with the 'Eigo Zuke' (English training Nintendo DS software)," she said. (Mainichi)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cvxfreak said:
I'm surprised a COM + DS lite bundle wasn't done like FFTA and the GBASP were done.
Are you really surprised? With the shortage of DS/DSL's they couldn't even if they wanted to.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cvxfreak said:
I think Nintendo needs to make a Play-Yan lite...
How would you fit a SD card into it?

winston_pr said:
The most popular Joint purchase people made were protection film (Hori) for Lite. A lot of Brain Age (Second serving) was purchased, as well as other non-non-games - Mana, Animal, Puzzlink.
Best. Term. Ever! I hearby declare that from this day forward, all DS games shall now be referred to as non-non-games.

I'm hitting the hay now, ***hopefully*** when I wake up things will be a bit more clear with NCSX... I'll let you guys know how things go!

JeffDowns said:
I'm hitting the hay now, ***hopefully*** when I wake up things will be a bit more clear with NCSX... I'll let you guys know how things go!

THANKS! Cause its hard to read ncsx.com ourselves!

;P jk

But yea, I'm now down to a slim slim hope that ncsx WONT get price gouged =[.

cvxfreak

jj984jj said:
How would you fit a SD card into it?

From the (short) side of the card, sliding it in.

Unless SD cards are thicker than I thought... I've never actually seen one in real life.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cvxfreak said:
Pics, yes, but I never caught on with the flash memory thing until the PSP. :(
I think the only things that would fit are Transflash or microSD cards which are commonly used in cell phones these days, but that is if Nintendo is willing to support it.

neptunes

compared to a gba cart, they take up quite a bit, anyway....

I don't know how I can go back and play an original DS after seeing this.

ou8g7q.jpg

ou8g78.jpg

It's like vaseline smeared all over the screen.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
LOLz, my local shop got in five DS systems today. FIVE. At that point I decided to forget about about going around looking for one at other stores; no way are they going to be available elsewhere, although I am tempted to drive out to Toys R Us and see. (^_^;)

Picked up Rockman Rockman and Pursuit Force on PSP anyway. Screw DS Lite for now.

bummyhead

neptunes said:
compared to a gba cart, they take up quite a bit, anyway....

I don't know how I can go back and play an original DS after seeing this.

ou8g7q.jpg

ou8g78.jpg

It's like vaseline smeared all over the screen.

holy shit.

Jonnyram

Lyte Edge said:
LOLz, my local shop got in five DS systems today. FIVE. At that point I decided to forget about about going around looking for one at other stores; no way are they going to be available elsewhere, although I am tempted to drive out to Toys R Us and see. (^_^;)

Picked up Rockman Rockman and Pursuit Force on PSP anyway. Screw DS Lite for now.
Bebpo, here's one person to prove your theory, at least ;)

Chrono

Banned
That's it. Mario & Luigi is the only GBA game I'm playing and then I'm waiting for DS Lite to play anything else. Oh and the Zelda Oracle games too since Lite can't play GBC games.

I was going to wait until I finish my GBA backlog before moving on to the DS but there's no way I'm doing that after seeing the comparison pics in this thread.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Kobun Heat said:
Well, shit. Good thing I preordered the day they went up, at least.

so did I, until I changed my mind on the color twice!

i'm going to go find someone to cradle me.

drohne

good lord. the screens look almost as if they're images printed on paper. i want a white one now.

drohne

Xellotah said:
The screens look bright enough to play metroid prime hunters properly.

the screens are so bright that prime hunters stops being a submediocre nst-developed fps blasphemously bearing the metroid name? :eek:

Top Bottom