• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

fr4nz

got this mail from playasia :
Dear fr4nz,

this e-mail is intended to give you an update about your recently placed
Nintendo DS Lite preorder (Order Number 25******).

Before reading further, we recommend you to check out today's Nintendo DS
Lite news update, which contains background information, image galleries
and more:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-17-71-8s-74-11a.html

As for every new hardware release, the situation for dealers such as
Play-Asia is never fully predictable in advance. Even though we are trying
hard to fulfill all preorders on or before release at the previously
announced price, availability and pricing are subject to final supply &
demand. The very first Nintendo DS Lite units were offered to us within
the last 2 days at prices ranging from US$ 250 to US$ 300, leaving us no
choice but to further keep an eye on the market situation during the next
few days until prices will go down to reasonable levels.

Nintendo has announced to ship a total of 450,000 Nintendo DS Lite units
during the month of March, along with 200,000 old Nintendo DS models. Even
though prices are high, they have constantly been dropping during the last
2 days and indications were given that units will be priced significantly
below the US$ 200 mark in the following week.

We will automatically start shipping all preorders once supply is
available to meet our current preorder price. All orders will be shipped
on first come, first served basis. The earlier you have preordered, the
higher will be the chance to receive a shipping notification e-mail
already during the very next couple of days. If your order is not ready to
ship within the next week, we will send you another e-mail update
explaining the current situation.

We understand that some customers might feel frustrated or annoyed by the
situation (so are we!), but we appreciate patience brought along for a few
days until the market situation has cooled down. Of course, cancellations
are possible at any time. Customers who paid by credit card are able to
carry out cancellations online in their customer account. If you have
already paid your order (by PayPal, bank payment, etc.), please approach
our customer service for details.

Once again we apologize for the unforeseen situation and hope for your
continued support.

Your Play-Asia Customer Service
http://www.play-asia.com

:S

Mojojo

I want to hear horror stories about DSes lite covered with dead pixels ...
The DSes in the pictures are always perfect, but I know I am doomed to get a faulty one :(

crazy-ds-launch.jpg

And I for one welcome our new japanese overlords!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
lancubap said:
Nintendo has shipped only 80.000 Nintendo DS Lite ??????

I hope that they will ship the million promised by the end of the month, or people will destroy himself for the frustration !!!
A million by the end of the month? Did you miss this?
Nintendo has announced to ship a total of 450,000 Nintendo DS Lite units during the month of March, along with 200,000 old Nintendo DS models.

so i go to the store with my preorder slip in hand, and they're like, uh, you preordered too late (mid february is too late??), so we'll call you when yours actually comes.

bastards.

I hate the DS alarm. I use it all the time, but that tone is horrible. I was secretly hoping for some Nintendo themed wake-up sounds.

Somebody has took £94 out of my bank account.

My order at Play Asia is £94.

Should I be excited? Or do those bastards just take the money as soon as you order (as I did yesterday)?

Edit: nvm. I just read your post. You should call PA. They didn't take anything from me yet :s

BTW, I want to order screen protectors from PA for the DSL. Any recommendations?

ant1532

Banned
Lik-sang jacked prices up 20 bucks, not too bad, im paying it. heres the email they're sending out...

This email contains important information about your Nintendo DS Lite preorder. Please reply so that we know how to process your order.

Nintendo DS Lite was formally launched in Japan today. While Nintendo published an annoucement on their Japanese web site overnight to apologize for the shortage, Japanese gamers were lining up already early in the morning to grab what was made available in Japanese retail stores.

Nintendo DS Lite Price Correction

---------------------------------

If you have been following videogame news in recent days, you will have realized by now that the demand for the Nintendo DS Lite is larger than what Nintendo can produce. After declaring production problems with the Enamel Navy and Ice Blue editions last week, Nintendo today published an announcement on their web site where they apologize for the shortage. Please read the following news for more information:

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3812

Due to the huge shortage, any shop with Nintendo DS Lite systems in Japan can sell their complete stock within 23 milliseconds for a premium price. Most shops don't even have any systems. These very same shops in Japan also know that one quadrillion import gamers want their system at launch date (everyone does!), and that they can earn much more by taking a bit of risk and by shipping their units out of the country. This, coupled with the pricey services that the courier companies and middlemen offer for getting the units out of the country, results into a higher price than originally hoped for. We believe that this situation will continue throughout the month and until April.

Please reply to this email and let us know if we can apply the new price of US$ 199.90 to your order. To compensate at least a little bit for the higher price, we will include a $10 Lik Sang Cash Coupon into your parcel.

When Will Your Order Ship:

--------------------------

We can currently not answer that question accurately, but you should prepare yourself for a waiting period of several weeks. The shipping date of your console heavily depends on Nintendo's production schedule and we will keep everyone informed through updates on our web site. Again, please read the following article with more accurate details on the shortage and when orders can be shipped:

Please especially note that even with the higher price of US$ 199.90, it may still take weeks until enough stock is available and your order can be shipped.

If You Want To Wait For A Lower Price:

--------------------------------------

We understand that you may be disappointed about the new price. Lik Sang would love nothing more than to ship all orders on release day, but unfortunately we are not in the position to do so. The price will definitely drop down, but to what level and how long it will take for that moment to arrive depends on Nintendo's production quantities and if the huge demand can be covered in a short time.

We will inform you of any price drops by email and you can then decide if you want your order to get shipped.

Should you decide to wait, we will definitely keep your preorder spot. We will also fully accept if you should decide to cancel. If you at any time decide to jump back on the bandwagon afterwards, we will put your order back into its original position in the waiting queue.

Please Reply With Your Decision

-------------------------------

To make a long story short, please simply reply with one of the following options:

(a) Apply the new price to your order and ship it once enough stock arrives.

(b) Keep your order and inform you of any price drops in the near future.

Should you decide to cancel your order, please feel free to do so fully automatically in your My Account section on the web site. Alternatively, you can also drop us a short note via reply to this email.

With best regards,

Your Lik-Sang Team
-------------------
Lik-Sang.com - Alternative Gaming Community

new article too

There were some questions on trends for DS game sales (which titles are going best today etc...) The below link to amazon.co.jp gives the topsales list for the past hour. No actual numbers, but it gives a reasonable indication anyways. (please ignore pre-orders...)

Top sales list past hour DS games only:
link

Top sales list past hour all platforms:
link

Due to the huge shortage, any shop with Nintendo DS Lite systems in Japan can sell their complete stock within 23 milliseconds for a premium price. Most shops don't even have any systems. These very same shops in Japan also know that one quadrillion import gamers want their system at launch date (everyone does!), and that they can earn much more by taking a bit of risk and by shipping their units out of the country. This, coupled with the pricey services that the courier companies and middlemen offer for getting the units out of the country, results into a higher price than originally hoped for. We believe that this situation will continue throughout the month and until April.

What a stupid explanation...

Xrenity

CurseoftheMods said:
I don't mind paying some extra money to get one early.
The problem is you won't know if you get it 'really early' when you pay a bit more... Shortages will still be around.

I'll be waiting, anyway.

you know that the reason those screens are as good as print?
its due to the yet to be announced add on.

a printer, that prints money.
:lol

Edit:- All this money the DS must be making Nintendo. Hopefully they'll spend it. And hopefully if Nintendo can get these franchises on the Revolution, i wonder if we'll see these types of queue's?

RaidenZR

Has anyone's play-asia order actually shipped? I got a Shipping Update email this morning that said basically the same thing as their website notice.

I need to know what the heck is up. They either have it or not.

the ds lite terrible
the ds lite is bad
the ds lite is awful

i do not need the ds lite
i do not want the ds lite
i do not desire the ds lite

oh look a cute puppy....

g460777_walkr.gif

Kroole

DS Lite:
Lowest Luminosity: 15-19 hours
Low Luminosity: 10-15 hours
High Luminosity: 7-11 hours
Highest Luminosity: 5-8 hours
Full Battery Recharge time: 3 hours

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Sorry for going OT a little bit, since I can´t make new threads yet.
Question, anyone have heard anything new/more about the DS game Detect Hacker?

They're waiting in freezing rain too ... which is just unbelievable.

Iwata should be at the Chinese factories yelling at people to make more :lol

Top Bottom