• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula 1 British GP thread (qualifying, race...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinobi

Been going on for a bit now...Webber has early pole. My boy Kimi was fast as hell yesterday (one of two drivers under 1'19), so I hope that translates to today's session. There's a threat of rain, so everyone's hoping to get their laps in before it falls.

Couple other F1 notes...Webber is said to have signed a deal with Williams, while Ralf Schumacher officially signed a three year contract with Toyota a few days ago.

Oh yeah, I'm going to the Toronto Molson Indy right after this finishes...got myself a three day pass, so I'm able to watch all the qualifying and support races. It's my first time attending any sort of race, and seeing and hearing those cars in person for the first time completely opened my eyes (and ears)...the speed, sound and grip on the Champ Cars is absolutely frightening. I used to think that had life been different, I could've done this sort of stuff for a living...heh, not anymore.

Dekajelly

:D He'll get blitzed in the race. :D

Trev-Low-Fuel.jpg

Shinobi

lol.gif
It might not matter...if it pours down tomorrow, everyone will have to dive into the pits early for rain treads anyway. Still, it's obvious he was running very light...to make up over a quarter of a second in the last sector is pretty ridiculous.

Shinobi

LOL @ Speed Channel..."The good news is that Kimi won the pole. The bad news is that we now have to listen to him talk about it."
lol.gif
I love Kimi, but even I can admit he's far from the best interview in the world.

Don't have the full grid yet, but I guess it's Kimi, Rubuens (remember the battle these two had at the same race last year? Let's hope that's resumed), Button and Schumacher in the top four. It's hard to get a gauge on anything with the weather being as unpredictable as it is. It looked like it was gonna rain for sure during the qualifying session, but it managed to hold off. Anyways, it should be fun stuff...Kimi was the fastest driver all week, so pole is the least he deserves after such a horrible year driving that prior piece of shit.

BTW, Jenson Button's girlfriend is a hottie...Louise Griffiths is her name. Guess the Brits will be familiar with her.

Pimpwerx

How'd I know you'd start this thread this week? ;) Great lap by Kimi. The new Mac should have been brought to Canada and Indy as DC said. They couldn't have lost anything with it, and from the look of things, they're back on pace. Not Ferrari pace yet, but good enough.

Anyway, should be a good race. It boggles the mind to think that Silverstone is constantly under threat by the FIA despite it producing a good race every year. WTF is wrong with Bernie and Max? Spa and Silverstone prove that you can have good races even today, we just need to stop running all these mickey mouse kart tracks with their overabundance of chicanes. F1's management is ruining the spectacle, not the formula.

In any case, I see the human chicane, Trulli, jumping Michael on the start. Michael would be wise to throw a healthy chop his way to keep him at bay. Everyone else should get away clean. Ferraris will emerge at the front by the end of first pitstops. Button will probably finish right where he started, in 3rd. Should be interesting. I really hope it rains. Not just b/c Michael will win it easy :D but it will make for the best show overall.

BTW, Q1 sucked ass. What a total waste of time. And it's ironic, b/c had the teams oked the qualifying rules changes, we could have had the best qualifying session of the year here. Instead, we got a farce followed by another hour-long snoozefest. Really, I don't see any reason for someone new to motorsports to enjoy F1. They can't be drawing new fans with such a dull spectacle. If you're not a stat nut or core fanatic, there's very little appeal left. :( PEACE.

Shinobi

Here are the qualifying times...

BRITISH GP GRID

1 RAIKKONEN McLaren 1m18.233s
2 BARRICHELLO Ferrari 1m18.305s
3 BUTTON BAR 1m18.580s
4 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 1m18.710s
5 TRULLI Renault 1m18.715s
6 ALONSO Renault 1m18.811s
7 COULTHARD McLaren 1m19.148s
8 MONTOYA Williams 1m19.378s
9 SATO BAR 1m19.688s
10 WEBBER Jaguar 1m20.004s
11 MASSA Sauber 1m20.202s
12 PANIS Toyota 1m20.335s
13 GENE Williams 1m20.335s
14 DA MATTA Toyota 1m20.545s
15 KLIEN Jaguar 1m21.559s
16 PANTANO Jordan 1m22.458s
17 HEIDFELD Jordan 1m22.677s
18 BRUNI Minardi 1m23.437s
19 BAUMGARTNER Minardi 1m24.117s
20 FISICHELLA Sauber no time

Shinobi

Pimpwerx said:
BTW, Q1 sucked ass. What a total waste of time. And it's ironic, b/c had the teams oked the qualifying rules changes, we could have had the best qualifying session of the year here. Instead, we got a farce followed by another hour-long snoozefest.

I was thinking the same thing...why say you're for the same set of rules, then put on such a stupid show? I guess they've gotta look out for their own asses at the end of the day, but they should've just voted the new rules in which helps alleviate potential problems like the one seen today. Then again this is the same circuit that puts a driver ten spots back on the grid for getting an engine replaced, so common sense isn't exactly the backbone of this organization.

I don't want to see Silverstone go...but I gotta admit, I'm intrigued at a British GP in the streets of London. Problem is that street races are notouriously difficult to pass on (the Toronto Indy race I'm going to this weekend is no different), while Silverstone at least provides those opportunities. Hell, maybe they should give Britain two races...I think the US had two races back in the day, which is incredible to think about considering how apathetic they are about the sport these days.

Pimpwerx

Shin: What do you think of Kimi's chances tomorrow? I think he's low on fuel, but this is no fluke. He's topped the sheets all in 3 or 4 practice sessions. Looks mixed on the weather. Kimi says he hasn't run the Mich wets yet this year. I don't remember how he is in the wet. PEACE.

Shinobi

Again, the weather kinda messes everyone up...well save for Schumy, who's a god in the wet. That's what he'll be hoping for, cause he hasn't had nearly as much success at this track as the others. I like Rubuens to win...he was incredible last year, barely missed pole today, and the Ferrari package and their incredible pit strategists (last week's race was just genius work) should have him at or near the front all day (unless Ferrari fucks Rubes over again, heh). I like Kimi to compete for a podium spot...he was pretty good in that ridiculously wet Brazil race last year, and probably would've won had he had an extra lap. Gonna be tough beating Rubes and Michael though. And Jenson's gonna want to impress at his home circuit as well. Anyway, I think Rubes will finish first, with Michael second and Kimi and Jenson fighting for third spot.

Going by last year's race, here's hoping that this years GP will be another cracker!
Great to see Kimi on pole for a change. I just hope he finishes the race and in the points, let alone get on to the podium finish. And yeah, as much as I like the fella, I can never understand a word the guy mutters lolz.

PS: Glad to hear that the move of my boy Webber to Williams is gaining momentum. Jaguar has been holding him back. If he does go, as expected, he'll win a Drivers Championship in a year or two's time mark my words. :)

LusDekkar

Shinobi said:
LOL @ Speed Channel..."The good news is that Kimi won the pole. The bad news is that we now have to listen to him talk about it."
lol.gif

Hahaha, Still it's good to celebrate the return to form of maclearn hopefully they can salvage the rest of their season now.

Qualy1 was so bad, but it was funny how schumi and barrechello say that they spun or went off on purpose! At least they tried to make it look like they stuffed up unlike Montoya et al...

Shinobi

Fun race...not nearly as good as last year's, but it at least it was relatively close all the way till the end (though it took a pace car to put Kimi back in touch with Michael). All I've wanted to see all year is Michael get pushed, and Kimi's one of the few drivers on the circuit that has the talent and the guts to do that. He just needed the equipment, which he hasn't had until the last couple races. Were it not for some bad fortune getting stuck behind a couple lap cars behind the last restart, he probably would've at least passed Michael, though it would've been tough holding him off towards the end. Either way, the new car is defintely for real. As for Michael, I gain more respect for him with each race...his ability to get fast laps when everyone else has pitted first is just a remarkable trait, as well as the genuine joy he expresses after he wins a race. Anyway, now that McLaren appears to be back, I'm actually looking forward to the rest of the sched.

Oh yeah, Molson Toronto Indy weekend was a lot of fun as well...I'll try and post about that later today.

Pimpwerx

Yeah, I too want some pics Shin. I feel like such an idiot for balking at the Miami Grand Prix. I'm gonna try going to the next one.

Anyway, the race was good enough. Driver of the day was Fisi IMO. From the back to 6th, that's good. And he clocked the 5th fastest time of the day in a Sauber. Awesome job by Fisi, and it wasn't all pit strategy either. He was dicing with a lot of cars. Definitely deserves the Williams/Renault seat he'll hopefully get next year.

Michael ran another excellent race, and was going full-tilt on that first stint. I think he eased up after that. I think once he emerged in front of Kimi after stop 1, he must have known the race was his with his 2-stopper. Wouldn't have had to push as hard. Near the end, I think he tried to sandwich Kimi between himself and Rubens to maybe help Rubens get around him. Rubens drove well enough, but still came up short. His strategy relied on him getting pole and running clear, but Kimi threw a wrench in the works with a great qualifying lap, and an even more spectacular first lap. That McLaren looked like it was strapped to a rocket coming off the line. I don't know if it helped or not, but Kimi had done a pretty good burnout on the formation lap, and left some heavy rubber behind. I'm trying to figure out if that had to do with his amazing start. PEACE.

EDIT: Oh yeah, someone better step up quick and win a race. This has become beyond embarassing to watch. :(

Shinobi

I did take a whack of pictures from all three days...I'll try and post the best ones in due time. Also got a whack of pics from the auto show that I still need to throw up.

If anyone needs motivation to attend a race, just realize that there isn't a better place on earth for seeing hot chicks. By the third day seeing them had almost become passe...I saw one group being photographed in underwear, another chick being photographed next to the Panoz prototype in swimwear, and I got a bunch of signatures from the Miss Molson Indy girls, including last year's winner Lynne Kush...

ssg.jpg

...and one of this year's contestants, Sammi.

ssg.jpg

For a straight male, it doesn't get much better.

It was also fun being able to meet one my favourite drivers Ron Fellows a couple times (he actually recognizes me now, which is amazing in itself). He had a great drive in the Trans Am race finishing third, despite only having a couple days in the car. I was hoping Tommy Kendall would have a better drive...he's a legend in the series, and I've really enjoyed watching him in the various test drive shows on Speed Channel. The cool thing about both these guys is that they both took the time to say goodbye to all the members of their pit crews before departing for the evening, not unlike Michael Schumacher and his appreciation for the Ferrari mechanics and crew. Stuff like that is just neat to see.

Shouta

I really should get into watching Pro racing. I`m all hyped up after watching Cyber Formula (yes yes, I know you despise anime Shinobi, or was that drohne). @_@. Can you give me a rundown on what exactly is F1 man?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom