• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

I personally don't want "show blitz" to get removed. It happens in real life for a reason...to confuse the defense.

And as for the whole Shawn fiasco, some of you guys really need to man the fuck up and stop secretly pouting after you lose. Yeah you might've gotten beaten on some repetitive plays that you thought were 'abuse' ... well, call a better defensive play. Everything can be stopped. Or MAYBE your players just aren't good, and rating wise, cannot keep up.

Unless of course that accuser has their definition of "cheese" in mind which I'd love to hear.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
ph33nix said:
And as for the whole Shawn fiasco, some of you guys really need to man the fuck up and stop secretly pouting after you lose. Yeah you might've gotten beaten on some repetitive plays that you thought were 'abuse' ... well, call a better defensive play. Everything can be stopped. Or MAYBE your players just aren't good, and rating wise, cannot keep up.

Unless of course that accuser has their definition of "cheese" in mind which I'd love to hear.
Using short, high punts every punt to try and cause a fumble is one repetitive play that I think is abuse especially since the window to call a fair catch has been shortened this year.

DenogginizerOS said:
Using short, high punts every punt to try and cause a fumble is one repetitive play that I think is abuse especially since the window to call a fair catch has been shortened this year.

i was talking about the show blitz rule earlier. the post you quoted didn't mention punts. are you accusing me of something?

Rorschach

Wellington said:
Anyone want to play tonight when I get home, I am trying to get some reps in for my matchup with TheCrow.
I'll try if you want, but I'm bailing out if the connection's bad in the first. I won't waste your time!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
We gotta do firefight tonight ck.

Bob when do I have totake you and your garbage internet connection on

TheCrow

Wellington said:
Anyone want to play tonight when I get home, I am trying to get some reps in for my matchup with TheCrow.

I guess I need to put in some work in my game too. If only DeSean was healthy, only one more week to go. :(

LiveWire said:
Actually, more than that if sable's stats are correct (receptions are the 2nd column):

Larry Fitzgerald Arizona Cardinals 10 69 1139 16.51 113.90 312 6
Adrian Peterson Minnesota Vikings 10 57 700 12.28 70.00 297 6
Joseph Addai Indianapolis Colts 10 53 529 9.98 52.90 273 4

Dallas Clark Indianapolis Colts 10 51 708 13.88 70.80 209 5
Josh Morgan San Francisco 49ers 10 51 566 11.10 56.60 230 3
Greg Olsen Chicago Bears 10 51 595 11.67 59.50 185 2
Matt Forte Chicago Bears 10 50 452 9.04 45.20 158 3
Devin Hester Chicago Bears 10 48 632 13.17 63.20 304 8
Antonio Gates San Diego Chargers 10 47 900 19.15 90.00 330 8
Jeremy Shockey New Orleans Saints 10 45 601 13.36 60.10 217 1
John Carlson Seattle Seahawks 10 45 484 10.76 48.40 198 1
Frank Gore San Francisco 49ers 10 43 418 9.72 41.80 188 1
Ryan Grant Green Bay Packers 10 42 549 13.07 54.90 305 4
Reggie Bush New Orleans Saints 9 41 490 11.95 54.44 233 2

5 backs in the top 15 with over 40 receptions.

And FYI, Portis had 25 receptions in 9 games (10th game he might have had a few more, not sure why these stats didn't show).

As for the Show Blitz commentary, has anyone ever considered what happens if the offensive player snaps the ball before the defensive player audibles out of All Blitz?

So pas to RB or TE = profit
I count 6 TE's.....

Mrbob

I do agree with Denogg about a punting rule. Doing those low directional punts are bullshit.

So pas to RB or TE = profit
I count 6 TE's.....

No Olsen either i am failing this season. :(

But thats because I have WR to hit now! Hester on the list! :D

In response to the replies since my last message, I'd like to thank everyone that stood up for me and spoke truth to power.

Aside from the disappointment of not having my shot at GAF-Madden history with a perfect season, my biggest fear from this fallout was that my legacy would be linked to the likes of some of the more infamous characters that have come and go. After reading FMT's PM this morning, lacking specificity and all, I started to wonder if I really was "that guy." But because of your overwhelming outpouring of support on the thread, IMs, and PMs this morning/afternoon, I know that I'm not the caricature that some people make me out to be, and that's all I'll need as the book closes on me here.

Thanks again everyone!

the only time i do low punts is when im trying to kick it out of bounds (i hate punting to certain guys who can't get tackled). the lower arrow makes the kicking angle more clear

Mrbob

ph33nix said:
the only time i do low punts is when im trying to kick it out of bounds (i hate punting to certain guys who can't get tackled). the lower arrow makes the kicking angle more clear

Yeah in this scenerio I can see it working better....but when an opponent is at their own 15 they should never be able to do this type of punt.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
BigJonsson said:
Passing to the TE is way too effective in Madden
I used to get shit all the time for passing so much to Shockey but what was I supposed to do he was my highest rated player. Now Kevin Boss is like an afterthought for me even though he is my highest rated receiver at 83 OVR. :(

Also, to be fair, if you combine the receptions of both of my top two RBs, I would be in the top ten receptions with my super back. I don't really go to the flats that much tho, moreso towards the middle of the field.

DCX

DCX
Shawnwhann said:
In response to the replies since my last message, I'd like to thank everyone that stood up for me and spoke truth to power.

Aside from the disappointment of not having my shot at GAF-Madden history with a perfect season, my biggest fear from this fallout was that my legacy would be linked to the likes of some of the more infamous characters that have come and go. After reading FMT's PM this morning, lacking specificity and all, I started to wonder if I really was "that guy." But because of your overwhelming outpouring of support on the thread, IMs, and PMs this morning/afternoon, I know that I'm not the caricature that some people make me out to be, and that's all I'll need as the book closes on me here.

Thanks again everyone!
Abe-Simpson-walking-in-and-out-the-simpsons-7414427-320-240.gif

DCX

LiveWire

ph33nix said:

Since everyone seems to think I'm the only one responsible for Shawn getting the boot (which, btw, I never asked for), I don't know why I am bothering to post this cause it seems the haters' minds are already made up. But whatever.

Call a better defensive play? Really? Really? I have the 2nd best passing defense in the league, behind only Rorschach (who universally gets credited for being the best Madden player), tied for 3rd best turnover differential, lead the league in forced fumbles and fumbles recovered, almost all of my INTs are from my defensive schemes, not from user picks or people making hail mary throws at me because I'm up by 35 points. If there's one thing I do right in Madden, it's defense. I've had plenty of practice over the years with my horrible passing skills combined with Brunell and Campbell's noodle-arming everything and setting me up in all sorts of tough defensive positions.

So when I say that he was "cheesing" offensively, I'd like to think I'd get a little bit a credit for knowing what to do defensively in most situations. But of course, I don't, likely because I play the Redskins, and I've had nothing but losing records in the GAF Madden leagues in the past. I guess there's no way I could possibly have gotten better, I must be complaining because I suck and need help from the commish to win games or get rid of any competition.

For most of the game, even with his line-drive punting down the sidelines, going for it on 4th down then waiting to see if I would call a timeout to stop him, etc. I put up with it.

But he was shut down the entire game, and IIRC his only play of more than 20 yds was when I hit the player switch button at the exact moment Romo threw to Crayton, pulling off Horton who was in perfect position to make a deflection or pick. That happens, so I wasn't too concerned since I was shutting him down all day.

But when it came down to the wire, when I took a 13-10 lead with under 5 minutes to go in the 4th, on 3rd and 2, Shawn blatantly took advantage of L-running to give himself a go-ahead touchdown late in the game. Flat pass to Barber almost immediately after the snap to the right, and didn't even try to move up the field to gain two yards for the first. Beeline to the yard marker. Not head-turned forwards going slightly diagonally forwards trying to find a hole behind his blockers (there were none on that side of the field), head towards the bench running the the boundary, and then stop on a dime turning and running ahead. I still got my player to him, cause I knew he was going to do it, but he broke a tackle and was wide open to the endzone. This isn't an issue of me not knowing how to playcall defensively, or not knowing how to tackle. I called flats coverage with the CBs and my DEs and even put Orakpo in a right side of the field zone coverage just in case.

Some of you will say, tough shit, it happens. I think it just goes to show his mentality. I think Shawn believes he is playing fairly, but there's just a little too much at stake for him. He even posted before the game "but I'll be damned if Livewire is the one that's going to bring me down. FUCK. THAT. :D" Well, that's exactly what was going to happen before he had to resort to anything to win.

It seems obvious that I'm alone on this, and if so, so be it. I think I've put up with far more losses than anyone and have a good understanding of what's fair and what's not given the limitations of EA's programming and the good sportsmanship we try to uphold. But I stand by my perception that Shawn doesn't play in that spirit.

Hell, I'll even put my money where my mouth is.....I offer myself up if you really think I'm in the wrong and am bitching for no reason. If more people in the league think I'm a less sportsmanlike player than Shawn, I'll ask FMT to put him back in (recall again that I did not ask for Shawn to be booted from the league) and you can kick me out.

Smokey

Shawnwhann said:
Everyone,

Well, I just got a PM from FMT alerting me that I've been booted from the league. Outside of being called out by two guys, I hadn't personally received a complaint about my game this season, even from a variety of regulars I play in unranked scrimmage games. Apparently some folks complained to FMT behind the scenes (about what, I don't know) in some of the dominant games I've won, and now I've earned the ban hammer, so to speak.

While FMT mentioned that he didn't have a problem with my game, I can understand the position he's coming from. He has a league to run and he has to make decisions that he feels will benefit the league.

If there is one thing my scenario should teach everyone, I hope my situation encourages people to communicate more honestly and transparently post-game. If someone is doing something that you interpret as being nefarious, let them know. Since I first started playing in leagues here, I've tried to exhibit an ability to self-correct and play/conduct myself in a way that just allows me to fit in with everyone. I've never apologized for wanting to win dominantly, and I suppose playing in a Madden tournament for the first time and sharing that experience didn't help the perception that has been peddled by some of my more passionate detractors.

While I have no doubt that this development will trigger opinions on both sides of the proverbial coin, but I'm done with being a focal point of controversy. Deep down, I know I played the game with integrity, and I'm good with knowing that the only thing that could derail me was back-room politicking.

Big ups to FMT for the privilege of playing in his leagues and to the guys I've had some real wars with over the years. Many of you have pushed me to learn and develop in ways I never thought I could. Whether it's Bob's brilliant use of his tight ends and Wellie's mastery of d-line play to LJ's sophisticated blitzes and CB's effective running, there's things I picked and pulled to bring my game to the next level. Though I'm gone, I hope we can continue to go toe-to-toe for many years to come.

Good luck with the remainder of the season, and may the best man win.

-Shawn

wtf are you serious?

so now i get to look forward to playing against the cpu in week 14, which i built up as my game of the year? really? :(

i guess i can see where fmt is coming from. lord knows i have to deal with enough drama in the 2K leagues, but maybe a stern warning would of been better? you did a pretty good job explaining how your game against live wasn't cheese.

i don't agree with banning you personally. i think that if people have a problem with somebodys play they need to say it in here, or do it over a PM.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, Looking at his games this year, he's blown out the other player in 4 games:

GCQuinton 51-7
Chiefs (Malley or CPU?) 45-13
DCX 52-10 (deservedly so :p )
CoooooldBloooded 49-17

Then I figure 2 "almost blowouts":
Bluemax 26-7
BigAT 42-25

So which one of you...</witchhunt>

:lol :lol

Looking at recieving stats, I guess Shawn was a "TE/RB CHEESER"
47 TE receptions 763 yards 5 td compared to:
57 WR receptions 878 yards 7tds
38 RB receptions 629 yards 8 tds
12 who? receptions 113 yards 1 td

Wait...that doesn't add up.

(but it does tell me he likes to go to his RB's in red zone situation. 16ish yard average and a TD pass every 4.75 completions)

Here's mine:

73 WR receptions 1261 yards 9 TD's
45 TE receptions 722 yards 5 TDs
46 RB receptions 375 yards 1 TD

What the...that can't be right, I feel like I throw to Ben Watson every down.

Maybe it's something else.

DCX

DCX
I had a big write up on the Shawn issue, but i deleted it. I'll sum it up. Good guy, shitty sportsman. Doesn't cheese but tip toes the boundaries of cheese and rules and loves to blame it on " the flow of the game " " i'm just doing what i need to do to win "

Should he have been punted? Meh, but i'm glad i'm not the only one to bitch and notice things. I'm also glad the L running issue has come to light :D

DCX

DCX

DCX
Lonestar said:
Well, Looking at his games this year, he's blown out the other player in 4 games:

GCQuinton 51-7
Chiefs (Malley or CPU?) 45-13
DCX 52-10 (deservedly so :p )
CoooooldBloooded 49-17

Bluemax 26-7
BigAT 42-25

So which one of you...</witchhunt>

:lol :lol

Looking at recieving stats, I guess Shawn was a "TE/RB CHEESER"
47 TE receptions 763 yards 5 td compared to:
57 WR receptions 878 yards 7tds
38 RB receptions 629 yards 8 tds
12 who? receptions 113 yards 1 td

Wait...that doesn't add up.

(but it does tell me he likes to go to his RB's in red zone situation. 16ish yard average and a TD pass every 4.75 completions)

Here's mine:

73 WR receptions 1261 yards 9 TD's
45 TE receptions 722 yards 5 TDs
46 RB receptions 375 yards 1 TD

What the...that can't be right, I feel like I throw to Ben Watson every down.

Maybe it's something else.
Lets air something out, you seem awful hurt..err i mean upset by my game against you. Did i do anything gameplay wise that resulted in you feeling bad about my win or was it just the fact that i scored that last TD? and that is so happened to be a pass on third and short after two running plays that were blown up by your D?

I can see where it should have been a better option to just run a third time and kick the FG and move on..my bad...third quarter i just felt it was fine...especially after most of my points were due to ints ( field position etc ) Again my bad :(

DCX

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, the last TD sucked, and was too much (only thing I dislike in these leagues. When the game is obviously over, lets just it be over). But no, I'm playing with AWALT, and throwing tons of picks. A game of errors, that I just wanted over. Alot of those points scored were a result of my lack-of play.

I'm fine with the score of 42-10, midway through the 3rd, couple with my lack of almost any sort of offense, I wasn't "making a comeback". Towards the middle/end of the 3rd, you had the longer TD drive, coupled with the pass from the 10 yard line on 3rd down, well, it sucked. So, I stuffed you on 2 run plays. You averaged 5 yards a carry for the game. Big deal.

Then after the disconnect (which I didn't want to happen, but seemed to happen. I'm forced out, and you get to continue on against the CPU, which I said to do so). An extra FG afterward I'm gone, is a tacky thing to do (to me).

But I'm not going to whine and ask for you to be kicked. I might have thought about a reprimand to FMT (never did), but viewed the Falcons/Cowboys game with the same score, as a sort of schadenfreude :p

bluemax

Banned
Wellington said:
I used to get shit all the time for passing so much to Shockey but what was I supposed to do he was my highest rated player. Now Kevin Boss is like an afterthought for me even though he is my highest rated receiver at 83 OVR. :(

Also, to be fair, if you combine the receptions of both of my top two RBs, I would be in the top ten receptions with my super back. I don't really go to the flats that much tho, moreso towards the middle of the field.

No one ever gave me crap about Gates except about not throwing the out post as it wasn't covered by the AI a lot of times.

Honestly a lot of my throws to Gates and now to Carlson are simply me making a hot read because some of you assholes big blitz me all the time. If you guys want to send 8 men all the time I'm going to throw the quickest safest route that nets me some yards.

The rest are because those guys are among the best receivers on my teams so why the hell wouldn't I get them the ball?

Lonestar said:
Bluemax 26-7

His last TD came I think of a pick 6 during a desperation drive. So not a blow out.

DCX

DCX
Lonestar said:
Well, the last TD sucked, and was too much (only thing I dislike in these leagues. When the game is obviously over, lets just it be over). But no, I'm playing with AWALT, and throwing tons of picks. A game of errors, that I just wanted over. Alot of those points scored were a result of my lack-of play.

I'm fine with the score of 42-10, midway through the 3rd, couple with my lack of almost any sort of offense, I wasn't "making a comeback". Towards the middle/end of the 3rd, you had the longer TD drive, coupled with the pass from the 10 yard line on 3rd down, well, it sucked. So, I stuffed you on 2 run plays. You averaged 5 yards a carry for the game. Big deal.

Then after the disconnect (which I didn't want to happen, but seemed to happen. I'm forced out, and you get to continue on against the CPU, which I said to do so). An extra FG afterward I'm gone, is a tacky thing to do (to me).

But I'm not going to whine and ask for you to be kicked. I might have thought about a reprimand to FMT (never did), but viewed the Falcons/Cowboys game with the same score, as a sort of schadenfreude :p
my bad :(

DCX

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Sucks that Shawn got booted. I played him a couple of times in past seasons and never had a issue with his game.

Only people that really ever fucked up the madden leagues imo were the two douche bag brothers Ando and Birdshit.

Smokey

Matrix said:
Sucks that Shawn got booted. I played him a couple of times in past seasons and never had a issue with his game.

Only people that really ever fucked up the madden leagues imo were the two douche bag brothers Ando and Birdshit.

please elaborate

has anyone ever had madden rule the catch not a td inside two minutes and then the computer never reviewed the play? cause I just had that happen and it was pretty damn clear it was a td, nobody even touched the guy. fucking ea fucking madden

bluemax

Banned
Sigh I hate this game.

Just lost to the Vikiings, we played 3 times last night but it disconnected each time and each time it was tied.

Today? I fall behind 21-3 and never recover. Even when I cut it to two TDs late with a chance get back in, Percy fucking Harvin returns it for a TD.

I hate this game and I hate Percy Harvin.

Mrbob

You are so angry with this game. :D

Unfortunately sometimes you get hit by bad luck and can't do much about it. I had two straight quarters of dominating the cardinals and two consecutive disconnections, and then on the third game I had a bunch of bad luck plays happen all game. Not much you can do is look past and move on!

LukeSmith

Mrbob said:
You are so angry with this game. :D

Unfortunately sometimes you get hit by bad luck and can't do much about it. I had two straight quarters of dominating the cardinals and two consecutive disconnections, and then on the third game I had a bunch of bad luck plays happen all game. Not much you can do is look past and move on!

cheers-cast%281%29.jpg

greetings friends.

regarding shawn, here is the run down. a lot of people (vets included) did not want shawn in the league prior to this franchise starting. i disregarded that for a few reasons:

1. shawn is one of the more dependable players around
2. he is good competition

i'm disappointed it came to this but we can't have a league where a bunch of people are saying "hey next time i come up to play this guy just sim my game, i refuse to play him, etc".

now i talked to shawn prior to the season making it known that, right or wrong, he was going to be scrutinized during the season and watched closely. i've had issues in basically every season he has played in and i have always supported him or tried to work it out.

i told shawn this and i will say it here, he is the type of player that wants to win and will do anything to win. i think a lot of the tactics he has that people take issue with would not be considered "un-sim" in the NFL.

but i think the problem is that at times he forgets this is not the NFL. this is a videogame, and there are exploits. i'm not going to beat around the bush: shawn is a veteran player, he is clearly one of the top players around (and not just on gaf) and he knows what he is doing.

you can say the people complaining are only complaining because they lost. this does have some truth to it. my concern is when certain adverse situations arise what is going to happen? what is going to happen when he is playing someone and down by 7 late in the 4th with or without the ball? he's going to do "whatever it takes" to win.

well that's all well and good within the scope of the NFL, but this isn't the NFL. i just feel that it's not a good situation to have in the league. i want competitive games and for people to be interested, not for an "all bets are off" type of play when the chips are down, and that is the vibe i am getting and have always gotten from his end.

now this was a harsh decision and it is a difficult decision. i have always backed shawn and if this were a 2 person league with he and i in the league we wouldn't have a problem. but it's not. this was not a "well livewire complained, adios shawn!" type of deal. it's ridiculous to think i'm that fickle and that no thought went into this. there are other people in the league i have to consider and truth be told this has been a long time coming.

Top Bottom