• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

FMT, first and foremost, I know it's a wrap, but I wanted to say a few things about your process...

On my first point, you elude to "tactics" that I use without any concrete examples (i.e. descriptions, videos, etc.) to support your point. I don't know how many games we've played over the years, but you've seen my style, and it's the same one everyone else gets. I can categorically debunk bogus claims from the DCXs and Livewires of the world easily, but I guess my ability to eloquently make my arguments has turned into a bad thing all of a sudden.

Two, you really need to stop this veil of anonymity you extend to conniving individuals. Anyone can talk shit about someone behind closed doors when they know there's no repercussions or the possibility you'll see a flip side. Being a top (and formerly brash) player has its disadvantages, and it's easy for folks to make up bullshit theories like "L running" and give other people fodder to continue a smear campaign. Despite painting a clear picture (supported by facts) of what happened in my case with Livewire, I don't even get the benefit of having a conversation with you about it before you send me that dismissive PM? That was disappointing.

Three, I can take a loss. Ask LJ or Sableholic about the ass whoppings they gave me earlier this year. Hell you even gave me one in the playoffs one year too. This charge is especially insulting because it has implications on how people view me for other leagues.

That's all I got to say. I want to protect my reputation, and as much as I respect you, you're making bullshit claims about my game and character (e.g. "Will do anything to win", "whatever it takes" etc) that aren't founded in actual experience, but rather, rumor and conjecture that I didn't get a chance to fully learn of or confront in an open or closed environment.

Nightz

popcorn.gif

This is better than a soap opera.

DCX

DCX
Shawnwhann said:
FMT, first and foremost, I know it's a wrap, but I wanted to say a few things about your process...

On my first point, you elude to "tactics" that I use without any concrete examples (i.e. descriptions, videos, etc.) to support your point. I don't know how many games we've played over the years, but you've seen my style, and it's the same one everyone else gets. I can categorically debunk bogus claims from the DCXs and Livewires of the world easily, but I guess my ability to eloquently make my arguments has turned into a bad thing all of a sudden.

Two, you really need to stop this veil of anonymity you extend to conniving individuals. Anyone can talk shit about someone behind closed doors when they know there's no repercussions or the possibility you'll see a flip side. Being a top (and formerly brash) player has its disadvantages, and it's easy for folks to make up bullshit theories like "L running" and give other people fodder to continue a smear campaign. Despite painting a clear picture (supported by facts) of what happened in my case with Livewire, I don't even get the benefit of having a conversation with you about it before you send me that dismissive PM? That was disappointing.

Three, I can take a loss. Ask LJ or Sableholic about the ass whoppings they gave me earlier this year. Hell you even gave me one in the playoffs one year too. This charge is especially insulting because it has implications on how people view me for other leagues.

That's all I got to say. I want to protect my reputation, and as much as I respect you, you're making bullshit claims about my game and character (e.g. "Will do anything to win", "whatever it takes" etc) that aren't founded in actual experience, but rather, rumor and conjecture that I didn't get a chance to fully learn of or confront in an open or closed environment.

I got a fact for you my friend. MLB 2k7, you were the Angels i was the Indians i believe. Seventh inning ( league game BTW ), up 11-3 you decide to steal bases. Now its insulting to me because im done, lost, ready to just end the game..your response, and i quote " Man you never know with this game, i can't just turn it off, you can't assume victory until the final out " Really? Really??!?! Fuck that, stealing bases in that situation in the majors earns you two baseballs upside the head. Carry on wayward son, see you in NBA.

DCX

Striker

dskillzhtown said:
Same here. The Lions need all the help they can get with Stafford gone. :lol

Since we are asking questions out in the open, is there a real rule against passing to your RB 25 times a game? I ask because I have really avoided it in my games as to be fair, though I don't have the best WR corp in the league. Early on in the season there was alot of talk about it, but now it seems there is only one RB in the top 10-15 of receptions in the league.
Thankfully the passes to HB has died down. The stuff early on was really frustrating to defend, especially with a weaker team.

I enjoy passing to my wideouts, anyway, so I don't have to force my hand at the HB or FB in the flats, as much.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
SMH

Why bother playing defense at all. Might as well just let the game pick the play, if you are taking more and more away.

AirBrian

So no showing blitz anymore? Have there been a lot of complaints about that? It's pretty easy to catch the D off-guard is someone is doing that a lot.

Lonestar said:
SMH

Why bother playing defense at all. Might as well just let the game pick the play, if you are taking more and more away.

what is being taken away that you use? bluff blitz?

i've just heard complaints about it. i've never actually played anyone who used it and i dont use it.

can anyone comment on the cheapness of this? i know it was ridiculous a couple years ago (we actually had a specific rule banning it)

AirBrian

I don't really use it, but how are you going to enforce this though? Sometimes the AI will just automatically have the LBs show blitz. How will you know if it was the AI or the human player showing blitz?

AirBrian said:
I don't really use it, but how are you going to enforce this though? Sometimes the AI will just automatically have the LBs show blitz. How will you know if it was the AI or the human player showing blitz?

hmmm, ive never seen it when they weren't blitzing. i know you can manually make them show blitz.

can someone who actually uses it comment?

DCX said:
[/B]
I got a fact for you my friend. MLB 2k7, you were the Angels i was the Indians i believe. Seventh inning ( league game BTW ), up 11-3 you decide to steal bases. Now its insulting to me because im done, lost, ready to just end the game..your response, and i quote " Man you never know with this game, i can't just turn it off, you can't assume victory until the final out " Really? Really??!?! Fuck that, stealing bases in that situation in the majors earns you two baseballs upside the head. Carry on wayward son, see you in NBA.

DCX

That game you're referring to, MLB 2k7, had a chornic problem with home runs. IIRC. I hit five HRs in a row on a game against Konex in a league game.

Btw, I understand why your wife left you now. You've got issues that require professional help. Either that or you secretly have a man crush on me with the amount of times my name stays in your mouth.

Lonestar

FrenchMovieTheme said:
what is being taken away that you use? bluff blitz?

Yes, I use it occasionally. Usually as part of strategy of whether or not I'm bringing the heat. Even when I don't use it, the idea is given, and the look of another formation (like the 46) could present problems, if they believe I'm blitzing or not.

But this is moot now, as I'm now stepping out of this thread....

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
hmmm, ive never seen it when they weren't blitzing. i know you can manually make them show blitz.

can someone who actually uses it comment?
You can tell because all LBs will move up at the same time. When they automatically show blitz, they do it in their own individual patterns.

Now, whether it's used cheaply all depends on things we can't see such as audibling in and out of blitzes.

Personally, I think line spread is a more pressing issue.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
most frustrating game ive ever fucking played. Count your lucky fucking stars that you won that shit bob

and if you wanna start banning shit for no reason fmt i might as well put the pntroller down and let the computer play D konex style. thats bullshit. next your gonna ban using safetys. trying to keep me down!

CB3 said:
most frustrating game ive ever fucking played. Count your lucky fucking stars that you won that shit bob

and if you wanna start banning shit for no reason fmt i might as well put the pntroller down and let the computer play D konex style. thats bullshit

give me some input instead of complaining

FrenchMovieTheme said:
give me some input instead of complaining

new rules look good to me, was #7 something people were actually doing in this league? I hadn't heard of any problem with show blitz, but meh whatever. I've used it a couple times just to fake blitz when I'm doing a zone, but other than that not a huge loss.

Birdman02

I used show blitz (usually when I was zone blitzing) a handful of times in my last game against LJ, so he might be able to tell you if he noticed any problems with how the offensive line reacted.

i think my main concern with the fake blitz is its effectiveness against both the run and pass.

in other words, in past maddens, "bluff blitz" was kind of the best of both worlds. if you passed, the guy still got back for coverage. if you ran, he was there with excellent AWR that it was going to be a run, so you were basically fucked both ways. there should be some risk-reward, and maybe there is, but i need to see what people are saying who have used it

Rorschach

Birdman02 said:
I used show blitz (usually when I was zone blitzing) a handful of times in my last game against LJ, so he might be able to tell you if he noticed any problems with how the offensive line reacted.
By itself it's not really broken, I'm pretty sure. You'd kinda have to know what you were doing. You can do it accidentally, but not consistently.

CB3

its not cheap. i used it all the time against everyone (except rors apparently) and its never been a problem. Like said before maybe in combination with that DE Spread, but not alone. and i always just use it as that. Its not a problem

Mrbob

Hester!

Poor CB....I returned my first two kickoffs for TDs this year back to back. I don't even think I got an offensive possession in the first quarter....returned the opening kick for a TD. CB had a long drive....then I returned his following kickoff for a TD. It was ridiculous.....

Here is the second one....the first one isn't available. :( It was 101 yards too, the game only capture 70 yards!

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/9790654

Those two scores alongside with a decent offense was allowing me to hold off CBs aggressive passing attack. I couldn't do much to stop him. I was trying to play ball control on offense to keep my d off the field, and it was working. I had the game in hand with a minute and 30 seconds left. Note to self, I am never running the damn ball again when I have a chance to ice the game away. :lol I am taking knees and kicking the FG! 1:30 left, 1st and 10 at the 15 up 35 to 28, I run it with Forte and decide to try to go to the ground right away to avoid a fumble. CB dives at the same time and strips Forte! Eagles recover! :( Karma just struck me in a big way for those two kick returns for tds!

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/9790606

So the eagles get the ball back, CB completes a couple passes. I know I can't prevent the entire way again, so I get a little aggressive and force a 4th and 2. He calls his play, I call mine. I don't like my defense so I call a timeout. We go again, he doesn't like his play and he calls a timeout! Oh the drama. The ball is snapped and for the first time this game Tommie Harris makes a play!

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/9790671

A measurement is made, and westbrook is a couple inches short of a first down. My D does just enough to hold on to what was probably the craziest madden game I've played in ages!

AirBrian

I thought line spreading was banned anyway...?

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i think my main concern with the fake blitz is its effectiveness against both the run and pass.

in other words, in past maddens, "bluff blitz" was kind of the best of both worlds. if you passed, the guy still got back for coverage. if you ran, he was there with excellent AWR that it was going to be a run, so you were basically fucked both ways. there should be some risk-reward, and maybe there is, but i need to see what people are saying who have used it
If you catch the LBs showing blitz, even if it's a zone the TEs are usually wide open (maybe for only a second or two, but still -- it's pretty easy to beat).

CB3

that 4th and two was ridiculous. your 3 (4 guys with urlacher i think) somehow beat 6 of my guys to get me a yard short. you should never drop someone for a 1 yard game in quarter fucking defense.

Shit

Lonestar

FrenchMovieTheme said:
ok, so is it a consensus that d-line spread is broken still? maybe that is the issue

What about using the DE and running outside as the snap happens and rushing back in once you clear the Tackle?

Lonestar said:
What about using the DE and running outside as the snap happens and rushing back in once you clear the Tackle?

are you saying running AROUND the tackle at the snap or are you saying taking the DE off the LOS and then rushing him in (as if he was a LB)?

CB3

Mrbob said:
True...maybe that was karma for getting the fumble when the game should have been over???

Karma? You mean after your two kick off returns, atleast 2 dropped user int's, some white boy DT running like he was Hester to catch a Duck throw, and Sheldon standing there like some bitch while the ball goes over him to #80 for a TD?

yeah i got that fumble but lets be honest here, your got more than the share of breaks in the game.

Lonestar

FrenchMovieTheme said:
are you saying running AROUND the tackle at the snap or are you saying taking the DE off the LOS and then rushing him in (as if he was a LB)?

As the snap happens (or right after), not before.

Mrbob

CB3 said:
Karma? You mean after your two kick off returns, atleast 2 dropped user int's, some white boy DT running like he was Hester to catch a Duck throw, and Sheldon standing there like some bitch while the ball goes over him to #80 for a TD?

yeah i got that fumble but lets be honest here, your got more than the share of breaks in the game.

HesterCutler_inside092709.jpg

LJ11

Birdman02 said:

Nah, I have no issues with it at all. I can see how someone can exploit it by showing an 8 man front right at the snap with a blitz, which would give the LB's a running start to press the gaps.

Many people don't have the 46 formation in their PB, so it's hard to bring an 8th guy down to stop the run without having to manually control the safety.

Most zone blitzes have a safety playing a short zone/hook zone. By bringing him down into the box, he'll effectively cover a TE or the slot man and maybe even get a chuck on the receiver if press coverage is called. If he stays high, you won't get any chuck and he'll probably just stand there and leave the seam open.

While we're talking rules, can you pick up a DE pre-snap and use him as an LB (no manual rushing obviously and you would control him as an LB)?

LJ11 said:
Nah, I have no issues with it at all. I can see how someone can exploit it by showing an 8 man front right at the snap with a blitz, which would give the LB's a running start to press the gaps.

Many people don't have the 46 formation in their PB, so it's hard to bring an 8th guy down to stop the run without having to manually control the safety.

Most zone blitzes have a safety playing a short zone/hook zone. By bringing him down into the box, he'll effectively cover a TE or the slot man and maybe even get a chuck on the receiver if press coverage is called. If he stays high, you won't get any chuck and he'll probably just stand there and leave the seam open.

While we're talking rules, can you pick up a DE pre-snap and use him as an LB (no manual rushing obviously and you would control him as an LB)?

this is ok i believe. there are some plays in my playbook (i use tennessee now that im 4-3) where its a zone and the DE's drop into coverage. i haven't had anyone complain about it yet. are you having issues with that?

also, lonestar, if the guy is taking the DE and simply trying to speed rush around the tackle i dont see a problem with that unless im misunderstanding the scenario you're talking about

Rorschach

LJ11 said:
Drop him back into coverage? That's fine.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
thats what you get for using dirty ass vick as a decoy. line up in a mans formation and get the first down instead of using your fairy tale gimmick plays
:lol
I was just reading "shitmydadsays", so I read that in an old man's voice. Came out perfectly.

AirBrian said:
So no showing blitz anymore? Have there been a lot of complaints about that? It's pretty easy to catch the D off-guard is someone is doing that a lot.

I showed blitz once against you to see what would happen since you were destroying me, my D got to your QB before you could hand it off

I guess its pretty effective

bluemax

Banned
I think I stopped using show blitz a season or 2 ago because it always left my guys out of position.

When I did use it I was trying to get my opponent to panic with the presnap read and switch out of a run to a pass.

LukeSmith said:
If I have someone's IM I may let them know, but generally if I'm inside the my opponents 40 on 4th down - I am going for it. AVin has a limp noodle for a leg.

At this point this is probably going to be my strategy. I can't hit from over 45 yards and I've lost too many games this season where I had to give up on a drive that was 4th and short in the maroon zone. If it's less than about 9 yards and more than a 45 yard FG attempt expect me to go for it.

Nightz

So after trying to play with the Cowboys for the first time ever and looking at the rest of the schedule, I'm predicting 0-7 the rest of the way. :\

GCQuinton

Rorschach said:
ph33nix/GCQ are you guys in contact? What's up?

pheeniks told me last night he was going to drop from the league (not sure if he meant for good or not) so until he officially does so I can't play the game against the CPU. Last I checked he hadn't done so yet.

GCQuinton said:
pheeniks told me last night he was going to drop from the league (not sure if he meant for good or not) so until he officially does so I can't play the game against the CPU. Last I checked he hadn't done so yet.

oh goddamnit i just realized i didn't drop it even though i totally thought i did after sending you that message last night. my bad...i'm going to go do it right now

btw i intended to drop only for last night---we made plans and my friend had called me like at 7:58 no joke. i'll rejoin once you're done though

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Interesting couple of developments:

1) I use show blitz primarily in the red zone for a few reasons. I wouldn't have missed it if it was banned because I use the Eagles D playbook so I get 46 D, but it helps against guys lining up in 3/4 wide sets in the RZ and running it up the gut on me.

2) Fuck I should have used DLine spread but I didn't know it was unbanned.

3) Regarding fourth downs, there have been a number of times when I've been on AIM with my opponent or I msged them through XBL on questionable 4th downs and have said that I am going for it and if they are cool with it - CB a couple of times in the past and most recently against Smokey. I don't know why I am saying this but I guess as long as your opponent is cool with it and knows whats up I guess the 4th down rules can go out the window...?

4) I drop Tuck into coverage all the time against guys that love their TEs or love running screens/HB flats passes. Plz don't take that away!

5) The improvements of the pocket this year virtually eliminate looping around the RT for me. Further, if you have good right stick control, you'll get to the QB way faster through the blocker.

6) Bob thanks for beating CB. :D

7) Nightz: You will be 1-5 with the win coming over me in week 13. :(

Top Bottom