• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nethack Thread

NLB2

Banned
Pheonix recomended Nethack in this thread Best Time Wasting Games Ever.

I decided to give it a try and I'm hooked. The game is easily one of the deapest pieces of software I've ever played. Every new game is set in a randomly generated cavern. Each of the hundreds of items feature multiple uses that arise realistically from their natural attributes. One of the best aspects of the game is discovering item's uses. During one attempted game, I happened upon a towel. Deciding that it might come in handy later I picked it up, though I had no clear sense of what it could do. Later in that game I broke into some gnome's home which upset the poice quite a bit. I was killing them with my magic missles pretty well but one of them blinded me by throwing a cream pie in my face. Unable to see my attackers, I quickly lost hp. But then I remembered that towel I picked up. I used it to wipe my face clean which unblinded me and allowed me to escape from the pie throwing police.

I'm still quite the newb at Nethack, but I've enjoyed it so much so far that I wanted to post this thread were all discussion of nethack can be had.

One quick question. There are many games were I find myself stuck. I cannot discover the path to the downward stairs. What are ways to search for paths short of using magic mapping?

Oh yeah, you can download the game here for free.

NLB2

Banned
Its a D&D based game in which you choice from one of 13 different types of characters and then explore a dungeon with randomly generated levels. There's not much of a plot - you must find steal some amulet from some wizard for your patron god - but that's not what the game's about. Its basically the best dungeon hack game of all time. Think turnbased Baldur's Gate with a complexity level of complexity multiplied by one hundred. Check out the game, its only about a 1.5 megabyte download. www.nethack.org

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Towels are also a great substitute for blindfolds... slightly more cumbersome to use but handy enough when dealing with floating eyes (and the intrinsic they give if you eat the right eye corpse...).

dog$ said:
Towels are also a great substitute for blindfolds... slightly more cumbersome to use but handy enough when dealing with floating eyes (and the intrinsic they give if you eat the right eye corpse...).

A geek-developed game with a useful towel? Nooooo.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Man I just had a great game, 350K and new hi-score on this machine.
Wished for Grey Dragon mail. Got Cleaver. Successfully raided Ludious.
Then I was at the Medusa level and got killed -twice- (thanks, Amulet of LS) by fucking eels pulling me in the drink.
Fucking eels.

Lesson: never be too cautious around water.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Capital W, for Wear. Lowercase w is for wielding a weapon.

You can't wear armor over cloaks, and always be weary of wearing gloves when you have rings on (because if the gloves are cursed you won't be able to remove anything on your hands).

In general, be weary of isolated gloves and shoes you find on the ground. Sometimes they're OK but to me they're more often cursed pieces of crap.

Top Bottom