• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd. Box Office April 11–13, '08 - 'Prom' crowned, others lose their heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

sxd3jm.jpg
30vmxig.jpg
r0ba05.jpg
30vg3tk.jpg
105bo80.jpg

rotten watch box office:
29vz4ec.gif
14% Prom Night
aa86io.gif
30% Street Kings
2u4iq2f.gif
32% 21
2irke2o.gif
48% Nim's Island
2qn0do4.gif
53% Leatherheads
14tq6fn.gif
48% Smart People

metacriric:

*click pic(s) for source(s)*

Audiences make a date for 'Prom'. Horror remake slashes competition at box office

Sony and Screen Gems' remake "Prom Night" terrorized the competish at the weekend box office, grossing an estimated $23 million from 2,700 theaters and scoring one of the best bows for a horror pic in recent months.

"Prom" is the highest bow since Lionsgate's "Saw IV," which opened to $31.7 million last October.

Fox Searchlight and New Regency took the No. 2 spot at the B.O. with Keanu Reeves-Forest Whitaker cop actioner "Street Kings," which grossed an estimated $12 million in its debut from 2,467 runs, according to Rentrak. Pic, distributed by 20th Century Fox for Searchlight, was directed by David Ayer and co-written by James Ellroy.

Miramax's Sundance buy "Smart People"--the weekend's other new wide release--only placed No. 7, grossing an estimated $4.2 million from 1,106 runs. Dramedy's cast includes Dennis Quaid, Sarah Jessica Parker and Ellen Page.

Among holdovers, Sony's gambling drama "21" played another strong hand in its third frame, coming in No. 3. Pic declined a slim 28% to an estimated $11 million from 2,736 runs for a cume of $62.3 million.

Both in their second weekends, Fox-Walden's adventure fantasy "Nim's Island" continued to outplay Universal's period screwball laffer "Leatherheads."

"Nim's" declined only 32% to an estimated $9 million from 3,518 runs to place No. 4 for the weekend. Cume is $25.3 million.

"Leatherheads," directed by and starring George Clooney, fell 51% to an estimated $6.2 million from 2,771 runs for a cume of $21.9 million. Film came in No. 5.

On the specialty side, Overture's "The Visitor" nabbed the highest per screen average of the weekend at $22,000. Pic grossed an estimated $88,000 from four locations in New York and Los Angeles.

Fox Searchlight's feel-good docu "Young @ Heart" posted the second highest location per average of the frame. Film grossed an estimated $52,312 from four locations for a per screen average of $13,078. Pic's five day cume is $63,606.

Nothing, however, could stop the box office from continuing to slide. Weekend was down a hefty 19.6% from the same frame last year, according to Media by Numbers.

*click pic for full list/source*

Anyone go see Smart People?

Damn, Run Fat Boy Run has a low theater count. That explains why I haven't seen it anywhere.

castle007

Banned
I still haven't seen a single commerical for Prom Night. I didn't even hear about it until my sister came back from watching it.

Tamanon

Banned
Wait what? They made that stupid Prom horror movie a PG-13? I guess they had to to make back the costs of it.

And I refuse to watch Smart People, it just screams "douchebag 'intellectual' movie"

Ceres

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Well, Ellen Page is in the movie so its definitely that kind of movie

But Sarah Jessica Parker!

I would think the loss of IQ from that alone negates any "intellectual" aspect.

Tamanon

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Well, Ellen Page is in the movie so its definitely that kind of movie

Yeah, I had just been going by the commercials and then later on saw she was in it, and was not surprised.

I love how shitty horror films like Prom Night get multi-million dollar advertising budgets, but the studios won't push stuff like Doomsday or The Ruins and then they wonder why they flop.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Man, every single Jr. High student in the tri-state area was at the theatre on Friday night, for what I assume was that shitty Prom movie.

Ceres said:
But Thomas Haden Church!
fixed, and yes he's pretty damn funny in it (think Sideways). I don't know if I'd pay to see it, though.

Ceres

Banned
Ford Prefect said:
fixed, and yes he's pretty damn funny in it (think Sideways). I don't know if I'd pay to see it, though.

I quite enjoyed Sideways
along with Wings & even a little of Ned & Stacy
so I have no problems with him. I've never seen anything with SJP I enjoyed where she had a main role. I mean, she was basically in a bunch of stupid campy movies prior to Sex and the City.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Blader5489 said:
She really is ugly. Do people honestly find her attractive?

I've never met a man who thinks she is attractive. The only people that say it are women who are fans of Sex and the City. And I think even then, they are more in love with her lifestyle and personality on the show more than anything.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Chamber said:
The media tries to sell her as attractive but I've never met anyone who thinks so.

She's being seen as attractive because it makes the common woman think she too is capable of reaching Hollywood level beauty (a horse).

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
It's amazing how most teens can smell out shitty movies like Prom and swarm to them like flies, yet I'll have no idea they were even being released.

Also: fuck what ya heard, SJP is hot in Striking Distance.

Grizzlyjin said:
I've never met a man who thinks she is attractive. The only people that say it are women who are fans of Sex and the City. And I think even then, they are more in love with her lifestyle and personality on the show more than anything.

She wasn't bad in Hocus Pocus:

F_200708_August09tv_354568a.jpg

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom