• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Well, after checking out the video footage, I find myself interested in none of these games. This stems from the fact that they're all dreadfully slow, and, with the exception of The Last Ninja, overly simplistic.

I'll wait for a good C64 game to come. Whenever that may be.

Chairhome

Glad C64 is finally here, just waiting for the ones that I love... I think Europe (or Japan?) already has Summer Games 2 and Winter Games.

Princess Skittles said:
I'd love to see the first four Ultima games and the Phantasie trilogy on VC for C64.
I don't think you'll see Ultima. They'd either have to rework it or release a C64 Keyboard peripheral.

Edit: I'd kill to see a reworked/reimagined Ultima 3-5 as a SRPG.

So I went against better judgement and bought Last Ninja. Right now my initial impression is WHY WON'T YOU PICK ANYTHING UP ARRGGGGHHH. Other than the sword, whenever I try to pick something he just flails at it.
Edit: Oh shit I just picked up a pouch! Will this allow me to pick up other stuff?

Jiggy

In all fairness, I suppose I should applaud that there are two retro games I'll be playing this week.
Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest V :p

jaundicejuice said:
Not too excited about any of the titles but I like the volume. I hope future VC releases are as large.
Wouldn't that be nice. :(

after looking at some last ninja screenshots, i remembered playing it on dos, and it was terribleeeeeeeee. how on earth could noa agree to put out such a shitty game when there are hundreds upon hundreds of nes and snes games is beyond me. i guess they want people to buy the shitty fps. i am beginning to loathe wiiware. excuse the tirade.

Capndrake

tetrisgrammaton said:
after looking at some last ninja screenshots, i remembered playing it on dos, and it was terribleeeeeeeee. how on earth could noa agree to put out such a shitty game when there are hundreds upon hundreds of nes and snes games is beyond me. i guess they want people to buy the shitty fps. i am beginning to loathe wiiware. excuse the tirade.
Every version of The Last Ninja is terrible except for the C64 one. This guy's got videos of every single version of all three games to compare: http://www.youtube.com/user/laffer35

And Onslaught's awesome.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Capndrake said:
Every version of The Last Ninja is terrible except for the C64 one. This guy's got videos of every single version of all three games to compare: http://www.youtube.com/user/laffer35

And Onslaught's awesome.

The Commodore 64 version of The Last Ninja may be the best, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it a good game. At least, if the video footage is any indication.

Capndrake

pakkit said:
How's the turning speed?

I like how no one was amazed that we got FOUR games this week. When was the last week we got 3 Virtual Console games?
A bit slow, but not really bad. There's four different speeds to pick from, but I don't really notice a difference.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
pakkit said:
I like how no one was amazed that we got FOUR games this week. When was the last week we got 3 Virtual Console games?

If they can't bitch about it they won't say anything.

I was amazed.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Capndrake said:
And Onslaught's awesome.
Good to hear.
Can anyone confirm that gifting is region locked even if the game is available in both regions ? ie you can't gift onslaught from a US Wii to a UK Wii.

So next week will be three C64 games again? Two C64 and one from another platform? Hmm.

Certainly better than I expected at least(Course I always expect the worst so eh).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Soooooo... Not to shit on the C64, but it's probably my least favourite of the 80s computeralike consoles.

Here's what I want:
Amiga -- Cannon Fodder, Worms, IT CAME FROM THE DESERT, Virus, Populous, Lemmings, Out of this World, Flashback
ZX Spectrum -- Skool Daze, Elite, Manic Miner, Rebelstar
Trash 80 -- Zaxxon

come on wacky euro ip holders, i want to pay you for this stuff!

Somnid

PepsimanVsJoe said:
So next week will be three C64 games again? Two C64 and one from another platform? Hmm.

Certainly better than I expected at least(Course I always expect the worst so eh).

Unlikely. More like 1 C64 and 1 other VC game until the backlog is caught up with Europe, or until they run out of US releasable IPs. They could also do monthly burst releases but that seems less likely.

I really hope these developments get some more western publishers on board. This is about the only way the volume of releases is going to increase for us and these publishers are the most reluctant. Over 50% of the month to month games from Japan would have to be released as imports so we need more local content.

Iam Canadian said:
The Commodore 64 version of The Last Ninja may be the best, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it a good game. At least, if the video footage is any indication.

The game is great you piece of shit bastard!

Seriously, it is. But only if you played it back then; I doubt it's going to get anything but nostalgia downloads.

Stumpokapow said:
Soooooo... Not to shit on the C64, but it's probably my least favourite of the 80s computeralike consoles.

Here's what I want:
Populous, Lemmings, Out of this World, Flashback

If we do see these at all, they will be as SNES releases.

Also, all we need is the Vectrex for availabe System downloads and My childhood gaming upbringing will be complete.

Stumpokapow said:

Here's what I want:
Amiga -- Cannon Fodder, Worms, IT CAME FROM THE DESERT, Virus, Populous, Lemmings, Out of this World, Flashback
ZX Spectrum -- Skool Daze, Elite, Manic Miner, Rebelstar
Trash 80 -- Zaxxon

come on wacky euro ip holders, i want to pay you for this stuff!
Lemmings is Sony property no?

RobbieNick

@Onslaught: "That's why you're still a kid!"

SHUT THE FUCK UP!!

Seriously though, it's not bad. It's like a Japanese arcade FPS. Easy to control and play, but not much depth to it.

DeaconKnowledge said:
If we do see these at all, they will be as SNES releases.

Also, all we need is the Vectrex for availabe System downloads and My childhood gaming upbringing will be complete.

I'm still kind of upset about my mom giving away our vectrex years ago. Cosmic Chasm on the VC would be like an answer to a prayer.

Uhg man I hate to add to the constant negativity...

But after they added Mega Drive games to the lineup and started doing 1 MD game a week I thought "there is no way VC could get any worse". Then they go and add C64.

Who knows how many C64 only weeks we are going to go now. I'm sorry if some of you are nostalgic over C64 but coming from somebody who has never owned one the games look really bad. The press release is trying to play up the C64 launch in an exciting tone, instead I read that whole press release as bad news. Kind of like reading the obituary in the newspaper.

VC is becoming the very definition of frustrating to me.

Ranger X

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

But after they added Mega Drive games to the lineup and started doing 1 MD game a week I thought "there is no way VC could get any worse". Then they go and add C64.

Who knows how many C64 only weeks we are going to go now. I'm sorry if some of you are nostalgic over C64 but coming from somebody who has never owned one the games look really bad. The press release is trying to play up the C64 launch in an exciting tone, instead I read that whole press release as bad news. Kind of like reading the obituary in the newspaper.

They really don't get it obviously. They should always have a choice every week (aka 2 games minimum) and they should drop 3 games of a new system like that. I think more people would be appealed to take a look if there was at least a game for another console a the same time. The fact more people would be there gives more chances for them to buy the C64 games (I speak for people that didn't knew those games back in the days)

Also, when they launch a console they should but at least one allstar game.

poppabk

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

Well I have never owned any of the systems on the VC at all, so I win!
Honestly, Nintendo could release all the games you are waiting for tomorrow regardless of whether they have 5 or 30 systems available on the VC and likewise they could release none of them, even though they only released games for the systems you are interested in. Decrying them for making another system available just because you never owned it seems the worst kind of hubris and is totally misdirected.
Giving people a second chance to play games they missed is just as important as allowing people to play the games they loved back in the day.

I'm sure there are good C64 games but it doesn't look like any of these would be worth $5 except for already dedicated C64 fans. Last Ninja has great music and a cool opening cinema but based on the above impressions it sounds like the cheesy Videlectrix games on Homestar Runner would play better. One notable arcade conversion for the C64 (I know there's more, just using one example) is the New Zealand Story, but its visuals are really bland and grainy compared to the NES, SMS (supposedly the best) and PCE ports.

Anyways it's cool they at least got the ball rolling with three (if only they'd done that with SMS day 1 instead of just Wonberboy).

Onslaught sounds intriguing but I still refuse to download anything larger than NES, SMS, SNES, TG-16 or Genny titles until the SD fix.

Got Life Force last Wed, great version so far. Just need a friend to come over for some 2p simultaneous (last time was Gradius V which has great 2p sim except for the pool of shared lives). If only some VC games could be played online. I need a wingman to help me mow down some germs, space dragons and rogue organic material, ya know? :)

poppabk said:
Decrying them for making another system available just because you never owned it seems the worst kind of hubris and is totally misdirected.
It's not that, its just that C64 along with SMS just looks bad.

For example, the only games I ever owned on my Genesis were Sonic 1-3. With Virtual Console I have experienced Gunstar Heroes and Streets of Rage 2 for the very first times in my life. Wow, gaming couldn't be more awesome than discovering them for the first time.

But thats only because I looked at videos and they looked interesting enough to buy. I'm watching videos of games everyone is suggesting like MULE and they don't look fun. They remind me of the 8-1/2 inch floppy games I used to play in computer class to kill time while I wished I could be at home playing Mario 3.

Sorry C64 fans, but given the rate/way NoA likes to release VC games, I'd rather C64 not be supported at all.

Mar

ln1.jpg

Everyone download this game. Everyone. Yes, that includes YOU.

dave_d

INTERNATIONAL KARATE

Umm, ok why bother releasing this? I mean I played it on the Atari 8-bit back in those days and liked it and everything. However really the game is just a rip-off of Karate Champ and the only reason I got it was that there wasn't a home version of that game. (Well, until the NES came out here so why didn't they just release the NES version of Karate Champ? Is the C64 game better or anything?)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I just want some SNES love from the VC.

That system has been so neglected it boggles the mind.

poppabk

dave_d said:
Umm, ok why bother releasing this? I mean I played it on the Atari 8-bit back in those days and liked it and everything. However really the game is just a rip-off of Karate Champ and the only reason I got it was that there wasn't a home version of that game. (Well, until the NES came out here so why didn't they just release the NES version of Karate Champ? Is the C64 game better or anything?)
well what i don't understand is why they didn't just release IK+ which has the third fighter added.

Mar

poppabk said:
well what i don't understand is why they didn't just release IK+ which has the third fighter added.

Yep, wait for IK+. It is a much better game and still holds up today. As an example. During a gaming night with a 360, Wii, and a C64 a few months ago that a friend held. IK+ got more play time than any other game. I shit you not. Yes, more than Mario Kart Wii and Street Fighter Turbo.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
It's not that, its just that C64 along with SMS just looks bad.

For example, the only games I ever owned on my Genesis were Sonic 1-3. With Virtual Console I have experienced Gunstar Heroes and Streets of Rage 2 for the very first times in my life. Wow, gaming couldn't be more awesome than discovering them for the first time.

But thats only because I looked at videos and they looked interesting enough to buy. I'm watching videos of games everyone is suggesting like MULE and they don't look fun. They remind me of the 8-1/2 inch floppy games I used to play in computer class to kill time while I wished I could be at home playing Mario 3.

Sorry C64 fans, but given the rate/way NoA likes to release VC games, I'd rather C64 not be supported at all.
A good game is a good game, regardless of how it looks. You'd think Wii owners more than anyone would understand this. Would you also rather the NES not be supported?

2DMention

Banned
Pass on all that stuff.

Played Alien Crush Returns again. Fun game, but only if you play the 1st stage. 2nd stage is fucking boring, and the 3rd stage has terrible pacing and is too easy.

Nekofrog

Banned
I was just thinking a few moments ago as I pondered why Wiki looked so much like Data from Megaman Legends -- since everybody knows that the chance of a full-fledged Zack and Wiki sequel are not very good, how would you feel about a WiiWare "sequel"?

I think WiiWare would be the PERFECT service for further Zack & Wiki adventures; they don't seem like the type of game that would take up very much space in the "fridge".

Thoughts?

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
When I say looks, I meant overall not visually.
Well, that makes your position even worse. The SMS and C64 don't have the lineup strength of some of the other VC consoles, but it doesn't mean there aren't games worth playing on them.

Well I'm only telling you what I think when I watch videos of these games.

They look like the dull games I used to play in typing class back in middle school. Games I played just to kill time and had I the choice at the time, wouldn't be bothering with.

Watching weekly update after update go by getting batches of C64 games is only going to make the wait for the games I want that much harder.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Well I'm only telling you what I think when I watch videos of these games.

They look like the dull games I used to play in typing class back in middle school. Games I played just to kill time and had I the choice at the time, wouldn't be bothering with.

Watching weekly update after update go by getting batches of C64 games is only going to make the wait for the games I want that much harder.

More games = bad. Gotcha.

Mar

PepsimanVsJoe said:
If somebody grew up with the C64 and/or the SMS they'd think your NES was pretty crap. *shrug*

*Raises hand

I never really got the NES love. I owned one eventually. After playing and loving Super Castlevania and Super Metroid on the SNES, I bought a NES to play the original ones. But technically the NES looked and sounded terrible compared to the best on the C64.

If you can watch a video of Last Ninja and say technically it doesn't look and sound good, then I'd argue you are delusional.

DeaconKnowledge said:
More games = bad. Gotcha.
So I'm supposed to be happy that the wait for the games I want will be even longer while the fill the catalog with games I couldn't care less about? Quality > Quantity

PepsimanVsJoe said:
If somebody grew up with the C64 and/or the SMS they'd think your NES was pretty crap. *shrug*
Like I said, if your nostalgic about C64 then more power to you. I'm not, but yet I can enjoy a cool looking game without that nostalgia. For example on the NES I played River City Ransom for the first time and loved it. It looked cool in videos and I gave it a chance.

I'm not trying to piss any C64 fans off, sorry if I am. Again, this is just how C64 games look to me so I thought I'd vent my disappointment/frustration. I wouldn't think thats a crime in the VC threads. :lol

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
So I'm supposed to be happy that the wait for the games I want will be even longer while the fill the catalog with games I couldn't care less about? Quality > Quantity

Like I said, if your nostalgic about C64 then more power to you. I'm not, but yet I can enjoy a cool looking game without that nostalgia. For example on the NES I played River City Ransom for the first time and loved it. It looked cool in videos and I gave it a chance.
Oh, don't pull this bullshit. You're being really dismissive here, acting like SMS and C64 games can only be good if you have nostalgia for them.

I suppose it is an unfortunate turn of events that each and every VC game released isn't tailored to your specific wants and needs. I too wish that game release schedules were lined up according to whether or not they appeal to me personally, and that all games I am not interested in would simply vanish into the ether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom