• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ohio judge in hospital after exchanging gunfire with assailant outside courthouse

MJPIA

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...urns-fire-at-attacker/?utm_term=.cbcac4fd1741
An Ohio judge was shot Monday morning outside his courthouse in an ambush attack that ended when the judge and a probation officer returned fire, killing the attacker, authorities said.

Police said a man apparently waiting for Judge Joseph J. Bruzzese Jr., who sits on the Jefferson County Court of Common Pleas, ran up to the judge and began shooting when he approached the courthouse. Bruzzese drew a gun and fired at least five rounds at the shooter, possibly hitting the attacker, Jefferson County Sheriff Fred J. Abdalla told reporters during emotional remarks Monday morning.

“This individual laid in wait for our judge,” Abdalla said, tearing up during his remarks. “It just hurts. First thing on Monday morning, you have a judge shot in front of his courthouse … This was an ambush and an attempted murder on our judge.”
The shooting occurred in Steubenville, Ohio, a city best known for a high-profile rape case involving high school football players. In a strange twist, the shooter was identified by authorities on Monday afternoon as Nathaniel Richmond, father of one of the two teenage boys found delinquent — or guilty — in 2013 as part of that rape case.

Jane Hanlin, prosecutor for Jefferson County, identified Richmond as the shooter, but she said authorities do not believe there was “any connection whatsoever” between Richmond’s son, Ma’lik, and the shooting on Monday.

Bruzzese had “nothing at all to do with that particular case,” Hanlin said during an afternoon briefing, noting that it was handled by a visiting judge from another area.
Bruzzese was taken into surgery after the shooting, police said. He was in stable condition Monday afternoon and is expected to survive, Hanlin said.

Richmond was struck three times and killed on Monday. Since a probation officer as well as the judge fired rounds at him, Abdalla said it was not clear whether one of Bruzzese’s bullets hit Richmond, who had fired five rounds.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...ed-rape-shoots-judge-killed-probation-officer
Records show Bruzzese was overseeing a wrongful death lawsuit that Nate Richmond filed in April against the Jefferson County Metropolitan Housing Authority. A hearing on a motion by the housing authority to dismiss punitive damages claims was set for Aug. 28. Messages were left for Richmond's attorneys.

Richmond had a few traffic violations in the past couple of years, and several years ago he was arrested on various domestic violence and assault charges, court records show.

The prosecutor said Bruzzese was shoved to the ground during Monday's attack. Courthouse video shows the judge and Richmond firing about five times each, Jefferson County Sheriff Fred Abdalla said.

Bruzzese was talking after being wounded, Steubenville City Manager James Mavromatis told WTOV-TV. The judge was flown to a Pittsburgh-area hospital. Republican Gov. John Kasich said he was told the judge would survive.

The attack had to be intentional because people know about the reserved spots where judges park, one of Bruzzese's judicial colleagues said.

Judge Joseph Corabi said he and the county's two other judges park in reserved spots next to the courthouse. Judges then walk a few feet down what's known as Courthouse Alley to a side entrance to the building, said Corabi, the Jefferson County juvenile and probate court judge.

"Everybody knows who parks there. That's why it's not an accident what happened. He was clearly an intended target," Corabi said.

Ma'Lik Richmond, now 21, is currently on the Youngstown State football team but isn't allowed to play in any games, the school said this month.
Did a search and found nothing, lock if old

Tagyhag

What a piece of trash. First you're angry that you're such a bad father that your son rapes someone, then, you decide to take it out on a random judge?

If there's a hell, I hope you're enjoying it.

then, you decide to take it out on a random judge?

Not so random.

Records show Bruzzese was overseeing a wrongful death lawsuit that Nate Richmond filed in April against the Jefferson County Metropolitan Housing Authority. A hearing on a motion by the housing authority to dismiss punitive damages claims was set for Aug. 28.

This story really shocked me. I worked in that courthouse for a few months about 5 years ago. Steubenville is such a nothing town and that courthouse was pretty slow. Glad it looks like the judge is going to make it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Jesus sounds like something ripped straight out of the "wild west". Genuinely surprised that this did happen in Florida.

SheHateMe

I'm super glad that the judge made it and he's going to be okay.

As a parent, however, I cannot see WHY you would attack the judge. He didn't do what your son did. YOUR SON did what he did.

Shoot at him.

Kinyou

I'm super glad that the judge made it and he's going to be okay.

As a parent, however, I cannot see WHY you would attack the judge. He didn't do what your son did. YOUR SON did what he did.

Shoot at him.
It likely had nothing to do with his son. That case was handled by a different judge

Bruzzese had “nothing at all to do with that particular case,” Hanlin said during an afternoon briefing, noting that it was handled by a visiting judge from another area.

Kin5290

Why would you shoot at a judge who is presiding over a wrongful death lawsuit that you yourself filed? That makes no sense.

Glad the judge is expected to survive.

My wife knows the judge who got shot. Her grandma works for the family.

Jefferson county is pretty fucked up.

Edit: the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a motherfucking judge with a gun.

peach

Which makes it even worse.

You just wanted to release your anger, I get it.

But not at people that had nothing to do with it.
I literally don't think this had anything to do with the rape case at all. I'm am almost certain that Ma'lik was adopted and this was his birth father (I could be wrong but I was born and raised around the area and followed the case closely).

jb1234

I'm surprised the judge is carrying a gun to begin with although I suppose in retrospect, I shouldn't be. It's definitely not high up on the list of safest jobs.

That is one badass judge. So glad he's going to survive. 👍

Most of the judges I know conceal carry and this is a reason why. Never know when some wacko or their family member from the past will snap and wait for you to be in the public.

Top Bottom