• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok...so I'm using mozilla...

Status
Not open for further replies.
..and I really like it. However, I can't get over some admittedly small issues. Namely viewing issues of some of the sites I visit. For instance on my site, clipunderground, all the hyper links display in bright blue by default. That shit gets under my skin. A: because that's not how it's suppose to look and B. people viewing my site will see it wrong as well if they are using Mozilla/Netscape etc...

Anyone know why mozilla does this by default? Also, is there anyway to fix it so it can be viewed properly in Mozilla as well as IE? If I can get to the bottom of this problem, I'm ready to dump IE and make the switch...

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
your style setup is the following on that site:

<!--
A:link { text-decoration: none; color:"#CCCC99"; font-weight:none }
A:visited { text-decoration: none; color:"#CCCC99"; font-weight:none }
A:hover { text-decoration: none; color:"#000000"; font-weight:none; background=#666666 }
-->

try adding

a { text-decoration: none; color:"#CCCC99"; font-weight:none }

and see if that fixes it

Hrm, I'll give that a shot. thanks.
Complaints aside, I'm loving this browser. It's running MUCH better then the last time I used it and has a ton of features...

See, I told ya. Glad you decided to give it another go. Mozilla really had improved since a few versions back. Oh, and did you go with Mozilla or Firefox?

sefskillz

im bored so i played around with it a bit. if you just take the quotes out from around the rgb hex values of the style then it will work in mozilla browsers and ie

so it should look like this

Code:
A:link { text-decoration: none; color:#CCCC99; font-weight:none }
A:visited { text-decoration: none; color:#CCCC99; font-weight:none }
A:hover { text-decoration: none; color:#000000; font-weight:none; background:#666666}

oh.. and firefox owns

damn. thanks man! I appreciate your help! I'll let my woman know (she's the one who takes care of the site believe it or not).

btw- what makes firefox better then mozilla?

xsarien

daedsiluap
clipunderground said:
damn. thanks man! I appreciate your help! I'll let my woman know (she's the one who takes care of the site believe it or not).

btw- what makes firefox better then mozilla?

It's just the browser portion of Mozilla. There's nothing *terribly* special about it, but not having the two linked together makes me, feel, I dunno, more secure I guess. I call it Windows Syndrome, wherein the less data put in jeopardy when a program crashes, the better. ;)

Now you have to start downloading extensions.

xsarien said:
It's just the browser portion of Mozilla. There's nothing *terribly* special about it, but not having the two linked together makes me, feel, I dunno, more secure I guess. I call it Windows Syndrome, wherein the less data put in jeopardy when a program crashes, the better. ;)

Now you have to start downloading extensions.

ok...

gimmie a list then buster! Don't just say I need extensions and not tell me which ons!! :p

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/

Just go there and get what you want. You need to get IE View, Adblock, maybe Flashblock, and uh autoscroll.

If you're going to Firefox get the download manager upgrade and everything mentioned above. Everything else, just pick what interests you and what you feel you need. I also have refresh every and nuke anything. I use Mozilla though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
CSS2 specifications state that quoting keywords is illegal, and I suppose hexademical color values counts as such.

In other words, your CSS was broken, not Mozilla.

SickBoy

Mozilla really had improved since a few versions back.

It really is impressive how much Mozilla has improved from 1.0 to 1.7.

I think even 1.0 was better than IE, but 1.7 is a significant upgrade.

-SB

Ok, so I'm at work now and I'm trying firefox. Good stuff. But yet again some pages I go
to are totally busted in this browser. My friends website looks like it went through a food processor in firfox. It's moments like these that make me sad. It's otherwise a great program, but with the hassle of having to use IE anyway for certain pages(that I frequently go to), is it really worth it? :(

clipunderground said:
Ok, so I'm at work now and I'm trying firefox. Good stuff. But yet again some pages I go
to are totally busted in this browser. My friends website looks like it went through a food processor in firfox. It's moments like these that make me sad. It's otherwise a great program, but with the hassle of having to use IE anyway for certain pages(that I frequently go to), is it really worth it? :(

First, tell your friend to fix his damn code. He is not using web standard, and is programming his site for IE. Thats his fault, not Firefox's.

Secondly, oh sweet merciful baby JESUS its worth it. Especially with ad block, I never look at shitty flash ads anymore. With the built in cookie manager I don't accept any cookies except certain whitelisted ones. I also like the extension foxamp or fireamp or whatnot, which is kinda neat in that I can control my winamp with firefox now.

ConfusingJazz said:
First, tell your friend to fix his damn code. He is not using web standard, and is programming his site for IE. Thats his fault, not Firefox's.

Secondly, oh sweet merciful baby JESUS its worth it. Especially with ad block, I never look at shitty flash ads anymore. With the built in cookie manager I don't accept any cookies except certain whitelisted ones. I also like the extension foxamp or fireamp or whatnot, which is kinda neat in that I can control my winamp with firefox now.

How my friend or anyone else codes their site is not the issue here. The issue is Firefox has trouble viewing various sites I visit frequently, and it shouldn't. The one thing I can say about internet explorer is I never EVER have compatibility issues. All sites work the way they're supposed to for me. ALL of them.

Its very counter productive to have two different webbrowsers open just to look various sites, don't you think? This is the main issue I have with Mozilla etc.. When is it gonna be just as compatible as IE?>?! Why can't it be now? Surely the developers are aware of some of the problems by now right?

"How my friend or anyone else codes their site is not the issue here. The issue is Firefox has trouble viewing various sites I visit frequently, and it shouldn't."

That's because a lot of web designers code for IE and not web standards. As your site did. Also, "All of them work in IE" is a damned lie, because of IE's crappy CSS support.

calder

ConfusingJazz said:

100%. I was patient with little sites that were using IE only code for a few years because I assumed the owner didn't know better... but it's 2004. If your site is browser specific in this day and age it's just plain not worth reading - if a page doesn't work in Firefox I almost never even consider opening IE just to check it out now.

When I first started using firefox (way back when it was called phoenix), I did have a few problems, but nowadays, I really have no problem reading any sites. The only major site that has a slight bug is ESPN's article title's don't wrap around, but I usually don't even care about that. The only other problem is when I had a hotmail account, it was kinda bitchy about it, but that was really only because of my cookie settings.

Seriously, besides your friends webpage, what sites are you having problems with?

Mostly just friends and band sites, theres a lot of music related pages I visit that have issues too. Nothing major, just slightly irritating. My friends site (mentioned above) is by far the worst though. The thing that sucks is I go there all day long at work to chat with my friends on his boards.

I think most major sites are fine. It's mostly the average joe websites that have the problems. Sure, they should make their site compatible with all browsers but they don't.
Which means IE is sometimes the only choice for proper viewing. It just sucks that IE, which is clearly the primitive browser in all other areas, is seemingly compatible with everything. :(

sefskillz

its not so much that its compatible, its just that all these sites were designed and checked with IE as they were in development. I design and check all my sites with Firefox, but then I typically have to go back and fix it to work in IE and Firefox together. It's a pain, yea but standards in web development are just now taking hold. bless you w3c.

i'd recommend snagging a plugin for firefox called IE view or something along those lines, essentially it just lets you right click and select "view site in IE" and it opens an ie window with that site loaded.

Tre said:
"How my friend or anyone else codes their site is not the issue here. The issue is Firefox has trouble viewing various sites I visit frequently, and it shouldn't."

That's because a lot of web designers code for IE and not web standards. As your site did. Also, "All of them work in IE" is a damned lie, because of IE's crappy CSS support.

By the way, my site works with all browsers. I just launched it the other day so there are few very minor issues with hyperlink colors and thats about it. Also, I have yet to go to a site that has issues in IE. I've hit about 5-10 today alone in Firefox. Just saying...

sefskillz said:
its not so much that its compatible, its just that all these sites were designed and checked with IE as they were in development. I design and check all my sites with Firefox, but then I typically have to go back and fix it to work in IE and Firefox together. It's a pain, yea but standards in web development are just now taking hold. bless you w3c.

i'd recommend snagging a plugin for firefox called IE view or something along those lines, essentially it just lets you right click and select "view site in IE" and it opens an ie window with that site loaded.

Yeah, just added that one a little while ago. It only works on links though, which is slightly annoying. It would be cool if it worked with bookmarks. Anyway, yeah, I understand the reason why many sites work with IE more often then firefox etc.. I'm just bitching because I like firefox and I want it to be prefect. :p

Gonna have my woman test out your code in a few minutes sef... I'll let you know how it goes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom