• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old PS1/N64 Game Recommendations?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I've been happily buying some used games recently, but have gotten to the point where I've bought most of what I know I wanted to buy, and am unsure what other titles might give me sufficient enjoyment for my money. I just finished Majora's Mask, and have to say the final boss is kind of a joke if you have the right mask.

For the PS1, I have most of the obvious titles, i.e. all FFs, MGS, GT, a couple various fighting games. I'm wondering which of the other RPGs are worth it. I have Wild Arms, Breath of Fire 3, Lunar 1, Chrono Cross, and just picked up Legend of Dragoon today. Lunar 2 I wish to purchase, but it is still $28 used, so I'm hoping maybe I'll run across a new copy someday and just pay the extra cash to have the full package. Are there any decent RPGs I haven't listed in there, or anything else that is just outstanding, regardless of genre?

My N64 pile is kind of small by comparison. I think I can name them all off the top of my head as I sit here typing: Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Rogue Squadron, SSB, RE2, Zelda: OoT, Zelda: MM, Star Wars: Ep 1 Racer. I know the RPG genre was almost non-existant for the the N64. Was Paper Mario for N64 or GC?

And one last thing: is there any decent store online for used games, or am I just better off continuing my current routine and going to B&M stores where I can at least open them up and make sure they aren't scratched to hell (which is what so far has prevented me from purchasing Kartia, the game with one of my favorite OSTs, as the disc was not only scratched horribly, but had a Blockbuster disc shield plastered all over the disc).

For PSX... I'd check out Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile and Persona 2. All good RPGs, in my opinion.

N64 was the one with Paper Mario. Good game. I also love Blast Corps and Doom 64 is surprisingly good. You can find both really cheap (I got mine at Gamestop recently).

Redbeard

Banned
N64:

Ogre Battle: Person of Lordly Caliber (something like that, it was great)
Rocket: Robot on Wheels (sweet physics-injected platformer)

PS:

Suikoden II
Vagrant Story
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

DarthWoo

Thanks for all the quick recommendations. I guess I'll go try out Legend of Dragoon for now. I noticed that whoever designed the back layout really favored CG over actual in-game screens, but hopefully that's not too much of a bad sign.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Conker's BFD is a must on N64<<<

Not anymore.

HAOHMARU

N64-
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Excitebike 64
GoldenEye 007
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros.

PSX-
Castlevania:SOTN

AniHawk

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Rogue Squadron, SSB, RE2, Zelda: OoT, Zelda: MM, Star Wars: Ep 1 Racer.

N64:
Space Station Silicon Valley (great, often overlooked platformer)
Ogre Battle 64 (the only SRPG on the system)
Paper Mario (Only really good RPG on the system)
SUPER MARIO 64 (absolutely awesome, must-have)
Rayman 2: The Great Escape (unless you have it on the DC)

PSX:
Chrono Cross (confusing and a little harsh on the eyes at first, but I really enjoyed it, you might like it too)
Xenogears (an incredibly long game which the story doesn't really start until about 30 hours in [I played the game for 72 hours], but satisfying if you need an RPG which really lasts)

Tortfeasor

PS1 - Um Jammer Lammy
Tomba
Tomba 2
Jumping Flash 1 & 2
Ghost in the Shell

The tomba games are RPG style action platformers made by the guy who made the original Mega Man games. They are fantastic and still hold up when played. Tomba 1 is 2d and Tomba 2 is psudo 3D but plays as if 2D.

jarrod

Banned
Tortfeasor said:
The tomba games are RPG style action platformers made by the guy who made the original Mega Man games. They are fantastic and still hold up when played. Tomba 1 is 2d and Tomba 2 is psudo 3D but plays as if 2D.
Wasn't it actually the guys behind the Ghouls N' Ghosts games? Megaman's creator (Inafune) is still heading up his own studio at Capcom.

Tortfeasor

jarrod said:
Wasn't it actually the guys behind the Ghouls N' Ghosts games? Megaman's creator (Inafune) is still heading up his own studio at Capcom.

Yep... your right. I stand corrected!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
speaking of tomba, what ever happened to whopee camp? did they do anything after tomba 2? ps2 tomba 3, or something along similar lines, would go down a treat. i ought to track down tomba 2 at some point...i was a huge fan of the original, but the sequel's HIDEOS graphics put me off.

DarthWoo

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been wanting to get Super Mario 64, but I wish that the used copies weren't still $16.99 at Gamestop. They have a few of them sitting around, so you'd think they could mark them down a little. I'm thinking that Paper Mario and Ogre Battle are probably a bit more rare, and thus expensive. One of the clerks was telling me that their price on Suikoden II was around $60 used.

Top Bottom