• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old school Nintendo Magazine covers

SantaC

Swedish Nintendo Magazine had some really cool covers back in the day. This is great nostalgia. I still have many issues saved at home :D Thanks to http://members.chello.se/spelbetyg/omslag.html for the compilation!

NM-1990-01_m.jpg

First ever cover of Nintendo magazine. 1990-01

NM-1990-02_m.jpg

1990-02

NM-1990-03_m.jpg

1990-03

NM-1990-04-05_m.jpg

1990-04/05

NM-1991-01_m.jpg

1991-01

NM-1991-02_m.jpg

1991-02

NM-1991-03_m.jpg

1991-03

NM-1991-06-07_m.jpg

1991-06/7

NM-1991-08_m.jpg

1991-08

NM-1991-10_m.jpg

1991-10

NM-1992-01_m.jpg

1992-01

NM-1992-02_m.jpg

1992-02

NM-1992-03_m.jpg

1992-03

NM-1992-04_m.jpg

1992-04

NM-1993-01_m.jpg

1993-01

NM-1993-03_m.jpg

1993-03

NM-1993-11-12_m.jpg

1993-11/12

Then there was Super Power:

SP-1993-01_m.jpg

1993-01

Which later became todays Super Play:

SP-1998-11_m.jpg

1998-11

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh now that gives me flashbacks! I used to do Pro's Corner and Box Mario back in the day, starting from 1993. The best issues ever, however, were 1992-4 (Super NES blowout), 1990-1 (Double Dragon II, Fester's Quest, test pilot searched for GB). The PowerPlayer section in 1991-06/07 was awesome, too.

whoops, meant thanks SC! Any chance of scans of the pages? I have all of the mags down in the basement, but would be more convenient online. Too bad they killed the official mag.

u_neek

Nintendo Magazine was also released in Denmark..

In 1994 they changed the name to Power Player

..in 1996 it closed down..

and in a month Super Play launches in Denmark ;) .. great magazine BTW!

SantaC

Chittagong said:
Oh now that gives me flashbacks! I used to do Pro's Corner and Box Mario back in the day, starting from 1993. The best issues ever, however, were 1992-4 (Super NES blowout), 1990-1 (Double Dragon II, Fester's Quest, test pilot searched for GB). The PowerPlayer section in 1991-06/07 was awesome, too.

whoops, meant thanks SC! Any chance of scans of the pages? I have all of the mags down in the basement, but would be more convenient online. Too bad they killed the official mag.

Cool! You are swedish I guess then? I have them in basement as well. if I find scans of them i'll tell you.

Solid

SantaCruZer said:
Many? I only remember Metroid Prime and Zelda Wind Waker.
I meant Cube games but okay. Anyway, Sonic Mega Collection and MGS: The Twin Snakes got 10s as well. Here is every game that scored a perfect 10.

Final Fantasy VI / PSone
Final Fantasy IX / PSone
Halo / Xbox
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / N64
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask / N64
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker / NGC
Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past / GBA
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes / NGC
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty / PS2
Metroid Prime / NGC
Perfect Dark / N64
Shenmue / Dreamcast
Silent Hill 3 / PS2
Sonic Mega Collection / NGC

Sidenote: OoT scored 100/100 before they changed to 1-10.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Are you sure those are magazines? Cause I have these Nintendo comic books that use the exact same cover. Yes, I said COMIC BOOKS

SantaC

Wario64 said:
Are you sure those are magazines? Cause I have these Nintendo comic books that use the exact same cover. Yes, I said COMIC BOOKS

100% sure. I even own some of the magazines.

SantaC

Wario64 said:
Hah, I guess they just reused the same covers for both. Lazy bastards

They had some of the comics in them as well. But it was mainly a magazine which reported news, reviews, guides, previews etc. It was brilliant imo.

NM-1991-11-12_m.jpg

Look closely under the Nintendo title and you can see the swedish word: magasinet

you can also see SHADOWGATE. I doubt there was any nintendo shadowgate comic at that time.

nubbe

You had to subscribe on the magazine to get the “Power Play” with section reviews and such. (or whatever it was called)
In its standard kiosk form it was a comic.
They also released a few adventure books.

SantaC

nubbe said:
You had to subscribe on the magazine to get the “Power Play” with section reviews and such. (or whatever it was called)
In its standard kiosk form it was a comic.
They also released a few adventure books.

Exactly it was combined. I subscribed on the magazine with PP section, but you could buy the comics ONLY as well.

Drexon

Banned
Hehe, I remember reading that magazine, and the Sega one, wich constantly bashed the Nintendo mag to such an extent that they would've been banned a million times over if it was the present time... on the internet... here.

The rewiews were absolut(e) suckage back then. They often used slang and simple language to apply to the (real) young generation, think 10 yrs old. "This game like totally rocks and totally blows away <previous installment> and <sega game>. The rewievs them selfes rarely were longer than this post. Lots'a purdy pictures too.

SantaC

Drexon said:
Hehe, I remember reading that magazine, and the Sega one, wich constantly bashed the Nintendo mag to such an extent that they would've been banned a million times over if it was the present time... on the internet... here.

The rewiews were absolut(e) suckage back then. They often used slang and simple language to apply to the (real) young generation, think 10 yrs old. "This game like totally rocks and totally blows away <previous installment> and <sega game>. The rewievs them selfes rarely were longer than this post. Lots'a purdy pictures too.

indeed but I was a little kid back then, so I thought everything was so cool even though the reviews were kinda meh :D

nubbe

Well I certainly never read the reviews

I just looked at the pictures and the score… just as I do now.

I have an old special edition Nintendo Power, with Mega Man on the cover, but the cover is silver, and it's over the regular, color cover. It's awesome.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
How popular was Nintendo magasinet at the time? Over here virtually every kid I knew either subscribed to Nintendo Power or borrowed copies from someone else.

Top Bottom