• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of HALO 2's new enemies finally revealed?

Sai

gal_gd2_006.jpg

:O

LINK

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
to bad its not colored, kinda hard to tell if its a covenant or not... the armor looks fairly similar, and i guess the plasma rifle is a bit of a tip off huh?

Sai

Yeah, since it has a Plasma Rifle, I'm going to assume it's part of the of Covenant. This is probably the incredibly agile, wall-scaling enemy we were told about through the Updates.

... It's also possible that it can fly. :eek:

op_ivy

Drexon said:
What's that sticking out of his ass? :/

it actually looks like a split tail sort of thing (note there are two things coming out of its ass :p)

Yeah, the feet seem very Bungie in design...Similar to the Elites hands.

Can anyone find the quote in the updates that talks about the enemy scaling walls or whatever?

GhaleonEB

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it almost looks like water could be it's native habitat - the way it's streamlined, the split tail for propulsion, the toes that would extend back like flippers.....okay, I'm done with random speculation.

But I've always wanted to see what that gunboat from Halo that was cut would look like in action (can anyone find the concept sketch?). Frankie mentioned in one update that Halo 2 had four different kinds of water, and I'm hoping that one of them is one you do combat in. :D

Edit: The image file for the ship is down, but here's the story it once linked to:

http://halo.bungie.org/oldnews.html?item=3274

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yeah, it does look like something that would live in the water. didn't some bungie developer make reference to underwater physics or sound effects in a really old halo 2 article? you could be on to something there.

GhaleonEB

Lakitu said:
This really isn't a massive spoiler is it? :( Could it be part of the covenant?

Technically, anything story-related that Bungie does not want released is a spoiler, so yes this probably is. That said, since this guy is holding a Plasma Rifle I'd say it's pretty safe to say it's a new member of the Covenant.

I don't think it's a big spoiler, since we knew there were going to be new Covenant species well in advance. It's not like we know what it's called, where we meet it or how they play into the Covenant hierarchy and overall story.

GhaleonEB

drohne said:
yeah, it does look like something that would live in the water. didn't some bungie developer make reference to underwater physics or sound effects in a really old halo 2 article? you could be on to something there.

Two quotes from the June 2003 OXM exclusive:

The first time we ever saw Halo on the PC it featured realistic underwater physics...Will sea be added to land and air? Bungie won't say a word, but we can still dream. Glug.

Page 25, bottom of the page.

Mike Salmon trickily asked Bungie's sound department what bullets sounded like underwater. They said, "awesome," then got chastised for saying too much.

Page 30, bottom of the page.

I hope I'm not reading too much into all that, but water-based battles is one of my secret wishes for Halo 2, ever since Halo came out.

Oh, and in the Halo 2 doc that the Discovery Channel ran, which can be found over at HBO, Bungie had a huge Blood Wake poster on the wall. And they said they've brought in teams from outside of Bungie from other Microsoft game studios to help with 'vehicle physics and handling'. They were talking about the Warthog, but I'm hoping......

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I hope they dont make it control like Blood Wake.. Jesus that would suck.

Underwater battles would be cool.. so would flying and/or wall scaling enemies.

Shompola

Banned
OMG that looks awesome. Are the toys out yet? Anyone know a good online shop that ships them international? thanks in advance.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
looks like a gecko to me...really big gecko (that would support the walking on walls theory)

BuG

GhaleonEB said:
But I've always wanted to see what that gunboat from Halo that was cut would look like in action (can anyone find the concept sketch?). Frankie mentioned in one update that Halo 2 had four different kinds of water, and I'm hoping that one of them is one you do combat in. :D

Edit: The image file for the ship is down, but here's the story it once linked to:

http://halo.bungie.org/oldnews.html?item=3274
http://web.archive.org/web/20031215194506/http://halo.bungie.org/conceptart/artpages/humanboat.html

op_ivy

i guess someone at HBO posted scans from the wired article... and it *gasp* has some new shit (flamethrower?). anyone know where to find them?

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:
i guess someone at HBO posted scans from the wired article... and it *gasp* has some new shit (flamethrower?). anyone know where to find them?

Holy crap, I just saw that. I'll do my rounds....

AlphaSnake said:
Hahaha. It's a skeleton with spikes! IT'S GOOD ART!!
No fucking kidding. It looks like something with the head of the boss in Sonic Adventure (1) and the body of a generic Ninja Turtles and/or Power Rangers villain. Hell, that could turn out to be an original sculpt for a Ninja Turtles villain action figure and I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Man, that would be fucking hilarious if that's all it was.

op_ivy

GhaleonEB said:
Holy crap, I just saw that. I'll do my rounds....

no luck here... damn, that guy doesnt have an email listed at hbo either...

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:
no luck here... damn, that guy doesnt have an email listed at hbo either...

None here either. Looks like they were pulled fast. Where do you go for....important matters such as this? :)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
actually, changed my mind, its more like a cameleon (built in active camo)

cameleon.jpg
gal_gd2_006.jpg

Same forhead ridge, same eyes, 2 feet

op_ivy

GhaleonEB said:
None here either. Looks like they were pulled fast. Where do you go for....important matters such as this? :)

um, just various forums... nightly.net, richeswillrust, gamefaqs (shudder), b.net (...)

looks like i'll have to find a newstand tomorrow to try and track this down. damn nazi print police at HBO ;)

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:
um, just various forums... nightly.net, richeswillrust, gamefaqs (shudder), b.net (...)

looks like i'll have to find a newstand tomorrow to try and track this down. damn nazi print police at HBO ;)

Two things - this is just hitting subscriber boxes now, so I wouldn't bother looking at newsstands. Two, check your PM.

op_ivy

GhaleonEB said:
Two things - this is just hitting subscriber boxes now, so I wouldn't bother looking at newsstands. Two, check your PM.

yeah, i checked wired.com, and they still are featuring the sept issue (this s the oct issue w/ the halo 2 info). damn. good luck in finding the scans :(

ced

op_ivy said:

I havnt seen that, but the guy from nightly.net and richeswillrust, who is pretty much comfirmed to be legit talked about a "Desintigrater". From what he described it was like an electric flamethrower, wonder if its the same thing.

op_ivy

op_ivy said:

still no sign of the scans, but heres a bit more on whats in the article...

from HBO's ctishman
Well, I got my Wired for the month about ten minutes ago. Within lie descriptions of yet-untold (to me, at least) wonders that lurk ahead for us.

-Apparently, not only can you jack vehicles, but you can jack weapons, too. This is evidenced in Joe Staten's mini-interview, when it says he's recording dialogue for just such an event.

-There's a picture of some presumably-human device. I think it's a gun, and I haven't a clue what kind, on the weapons design page. It's green, has painted 'shark teeth' and eyes like a WWII fighter, a red power button, and a fuel guage. Maybe it's a vehicle. Perhaps the ATV we all thought was scrapped? In any case, it looks badass.

-The snow-hog is still in the game. Eric Arroyo dropped that hint. Also, there's apparently a vehicle with a chassis rusted by sea salt.

-There's also a really cool two-page spread of what looks like either earth city on a really, really bad day, or perhaps a ruined Halo. It's very much larger-than-life.

sounds like the flamethrower may in fact be making a return :D

Top Bottom