• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

With Oda's more frequent breaks this was bound to happen. It is a shame since the manga REALLY takes off around this time if they had 1 to 1 pacing.

This could have mostly been avoided if Toei had the foresight to do a long filler arc before Dressrosa.

I do. I was doing both but watching this stops now

At this point, the only tolerable way to watch the anime anymore is by marathoning arcs or watching One Pace.

upandaway

Yeah I'm not really sure what's going on there now. They're going a bit too far.

I'm probably going to give it a break too, if things don't stabilize then I'll just Youtube the good scenes

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Toei just needs to pull a studio pierrot and do a filler arc in the middle of canon

You know, if they were smart they'd go ask Oda for a basic outline for a couple of filler arcs to put between the cannon arcs. Just a couple of characters and some story beats to kill time between the main arcs.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
If anything they should do something based on the cover arcs but figure a way to have some SH members get involved even if only on the peripheral of the story

Cwarrior

nobody really posted anything about the special that airs next week so I'll have to do it.

Note there's meant to be some sort of surprise at the end of the TV special apparently some sort of character that has not appeared yet not even the manga.....not sure what that means maybe it's like the whole coby & helmpo making there debut time skip designs in episode of luffy??

One piece 3D2Y tv special

Staff list revealed

Fuji TV has updated the production staff informationon their official website for the upcoming anime special, “3D2Y: Overcome Ace’s Death. Luffy’s Vow to his Friends!“

Screenplay 「脚本」:

「上坂浩彦」 Hirohiko Uesaka
「中山智博」 Tomohiro Nakayama
「田中仁」Hitoshi Tanaka

Planning 「企画」:

「高木明梨須」(フジテレビ) Alice Takaki (Fuji TV)
「狩野雄太」(フジテレビ) Yûta Kano (Fuji TV)

Producer 「プロデュース」:

「櫻田博之」(東映アニメーション) Hiroyuki Sakurada (Toei Animation)
「寺本知資」(東映アニメーション) Tomosuke Teramoto (Toei Animation)

Director 「演出」:

「伊藤尚往」 Naoyuki Itô

Production adviser 「製作担当」:

「藤岡和実」 Kazumi Fujioka

Animation director 「作画監督」:

「渡辺巧大」 Kōdai Watanabe

Art Setting 「美術設定」:

「河野次郎」 Jirô Kôno

Art director 「美術監督」:

「本田修」 Osamu Honda

In addition to the regular Straw Hat voice actors, the website names the voice actors for Silvers Rayleigh, Portgas D. Ace and Boa Hancock among the cast. Burndy World’s voice actor has not been revealed yet. The special will air Aug. 30 at 9 p.m. on Fuji TV.

Director Naoyuki Itô

It's nice to see they've given someone else the chance to direct one of these tv specials, Naoyuki Itô is a long time one piece director, the last episode his directed was smoker vs law it explains why his been absent his been busy working on this, his also directed Strong world episode 0 ova.

Animation director Kōdai Watanabe

Kōdai Watanabe hasn't been around for too long his made name for himself working on toriko thanks to his excellent animation directing of toriko episode 22 and key animation in toriko vs igo president.

it's his first time being in charge of animation directing on a one piece work previously he was the animation director for taken drilland 100.

Spoiler-ish Interview with 3D2Y Assistant Producer Teramoto

The official One Piece website has released a special interview with the assistant producer of the upcoming “3D2Y” anime special, Tomosuke Teramoto.
What follows are a compilation of Teramoto’s answer based on Kappei Yamaguchi’s questions and comments, so keep in mind that while the contents can be taken as such, they’re not direct quotes!

Q: Until last year the 2 hour specials were part of the “Episode Of” series, right? Nami, Luffy and last year even Merry I believe. This time you’re changing directions to “3D2Y?”
A: We used to work on stuff like the Episode of Nami or Merry but this time we started off from the idea that we wanted to try something new in that we wanted to work on a part that wasn’t made clear in the series itself and to which we could add Luffy’s 2 year “3D2Y” period.
And so we exchanged ideas amongst each other on how we could make it rival the “Episode of” series, and with a bit of luck maybe even surpass it.
The “Episode Of” series has its good parts, but we wanted to make a special episode with an “original story.” We thought about it a lot but the producers and script writers came to the idea that nothing had yet been pictured from Luffy’s 2-year training period. We then asked the people in charge at Fuji TV and Shueisha and had meetings to start the first stage of the production process.
After asking Oda-sensei if he was okay with the idea we had, we got his approval, and since it’s appearing on Saturday night prime time, it was decided to make it into a story revolving around Luffy.

Q: If it’s a Luffy centered story, then what about the other Straw Hats?
A: This one’s a Luffy-centered story, but Usopp and the others will also be making an appearance!
But as I mentioned before, the story this time starts from the point where Luffy starts his training, when Luffy was in a state where it wasn’t sure if he’d be able to get over the death of Ace at the Paramount War. After reminding himself that he’s still got his crew mates, the 2-year training with Rayleigh begins and then the original character becomes important to see how he’ll get over Ace’s death.

Q: Oh, A new character?
A: The new character’s name is Burndy World and was drawn by Oda!
He’s one of the prisoners who escaped from Impel Down’s level 6. We can’t reveal a detailed drawing of World just yet, but his back was shown in the main visual (for the 3D2Y special). World’s a very strong enemy who’s going to be getting in Luffy’s way, so while Luffy’s overcoming Ace’s death and thinking of his crew, World’s going to be antagonizing him. And this time we experienced the difficulties of an original anime episode: deciding on whether to write a story related to the original work or one independent from it.
So we asked Oda to draw “the biggest enemy ever” World’s design and to have him look at the script.

Q: Since it starts during the Paramount war there’s a lot of characters going to make an appearance; Kizaru, Akainu, etc… it’s really just like one exuberant “festival!” But talking about One Piece, one of the high points are its action scenes, so what about for this special episode?
A: To make up for the parts where the Straw Hats aren’t appearing, instead there’s some other uncommon characters that are going to be participating in the episode.
Right! The guest characters appearing this time are amazing!
And there’s (also) a lot of action scene highlights this time!
Because of Luffy’s two-year training, one of the must-see parts of the special is the gradual process of acquiring the Armament Haki during battle, as well as battling Hancock, who hasn’t really been portrayed fighting for long periods of time.

Q: And Buggy’s also working hard this time, right?
A: Right! Buggy’s really a character that doesn’t sit still. The main part of the story is Luffy and World but Buggy’s going to liven up the story quite a bit. In order to bring out that “Party Mood” Oda-sensei talked about, Buggy and Hancock will be playing an active role in particular.
 Also, the Straw Hat crew will be appearing a bit each, but besides that, their respective voice actors all helped doing the animal voices et cetera, so….

Q: And in the end?
A: Right! There’s also a surprise character making an appearance at the very end.
Yamaguchi: It really feels somewhat like a different world from the “One Piece” we see in the original story. Definitely take a look! After you’ve seen this special episode you might feel different when watching One Piece.

Character design of the main villain Brundy designed by Oda himself

wn0tMP4.jpg

EYwLDdP.jpg

One piece 3d2y tv teaser 2
One piece 3D2y tv teaser 3

Dugna

sucks that the TV special will never leave Japan....wouldn't mind if it took up a week or two in the current season just to show it....

Since it’s appearing on Saturday night prime time, it was decided to make it into a story revolving around Luffy.

Really, what's wrong with people? I can already barely understand not being interested in the cover arcs characters, but not even the non-Luffy straw hats? :(
Well, let's see what "appearing" means (I bet they are only in flashbacks :/ ).

Though I guess some things would also spoiler possible tricks each crewmember learned during the 2 years, especially Zoro's training might spoiler stuff if Oda would actually tell them.

Dugna

Really, what's wrong with people? I can already barely understand not being interested in the cover arcs characters, but not even the non-Luffy straw hats? :(
Well, let's see what "appearing" means (I bet they are only in flashbacks :/ ).

Though I guess some things would also spoiler possible tricks each crewmember learned during the 2 years, especially Zoro's training might spoiler stuff if Oda would actually tell them.

Woah we might even see why Zoro basically lost his eye.

jbug617

Banned
Funimation is going to simulcast the One Piece special on August 30th.
http://wp.me/p4csXA-3BH

Here is the release. Warning of spoilers for people who don't know about that time period.

FUNimation has announced that they will be simulcasting the ‘One Piece 3D2Y’ special, officially entitled
Overcoming Ace’s Death! The Oath with Luffy’s Crewmates!
, on Saturday, Aug. 30, at 12 a.m. midnight (Eastern) / 11 p.m. (Central) for the North American audience. As for the Japanese audience, the special will air at 9 p.m. (JST) on Fuji TV.

The story focuses on Luffy who rediscovers the importance of his crew mates after losing his brother, Ace, during the Paramount War at Marineford. He overcomes the grief in order to learn Haki, and undergoes a 2 year-long harsh training session with Rayleigh on the Island of Rusukaina

No you don't, I'm serious. Did you like having (Marineford)
Ace and Whitebeard die
spoiled for you? Because this is on par with that.

mhh, ok fine, you convinced me. But it's not the thing with
Sabo still being alive and showing up in the current arc
, right? Because that I already got spoiled on
although I always knew he was still alive so I'm not too bothered with it.

Anyway, nice to have an official simultaneous release. Episode of Merry took like 5 months to get an English sub... somewhere.

The special was great. A real breath of fresh air with decent animarion and paxing. Nice to see some other characters get the spotlight and Oda played a role in making the villains.

Jaroof

Just finished the special. It was great!
I don't think Luffy should have been able to win that final fight, though.
They built that dude up like he was an unstoppable monster.

Also, I saw the spoiler at the end.
It is pretty big, but at the same time, it's something I expected... which is a first for me - I never predict what's going to happen in OP correctly!

Cwarrior

One piece 3D2Y
TV special

Just finished 3D2Y and I haven't too say it turned out much much better then I expected, it really caught me off guard how well fleshed out & excuted burndy world & his bothers back story were, really touching stuff that did good job giving us insight on how brundy turned out the way he is(props to the writers).

God damn at how brutal burndy was to luffy, he really ridiculed him both physically & mentally, the scene with them in the weapons room where brundy proceeded to ether luffy by handing him weapons....this my reaction to the scene
ilpe0t9ywghax.gif

they don't call him burndy for nothing

At the the end he still manage to go out like a boss, fireing his man cannon, that's one of many aspects I love about one piece the serise tend to show there villains the respect they deserve.

Great special Brundy maybe best original villian to feature in a one piece movie beating Z, shiki and gaspardo.

Soriku

The special was pretty good. Byrnndi repeated "you can't protect anyone!" WAY too many times though. I felt bad for his brother. Nice to see more of Hancock though.

The latest episode was great, but so sad :( Doflamingo better get torn to smithereens. LOL at the abdication news completely messing up the resistance group. After hearing the backstory too, Usopp, Franky, and Robin must feel so broken haha.

If we can have these flashback episodes, why can't they animate the manga cover stories? I thought the argument was that people don't like watching episodes w/o Luffy. Doing a frame narrative could include more Luffy than in this episode...

3D2Y special was pretty awesome btw! Although I didn't get why
Hawkeyes felt the need to protect the Navy&Akainu. Because it's his duty?

Cwarrior

One piece 659-660

This flashback has been fantastic,both episode have had excellent direction especially 660, am loving the black,red, gold visual silhouettes motif (reminds of that donkey kong country returns level a bit hehe).

What a tragic nightmare for king riku,his men & the people of dressrosa.

Donfalmingo is truely a magnificently evil and cunning sonofabitch!

Koriandrr

Hey guys,

I used to be a huge fan of One Piece. Watched it from Ep.1 until maybe the time they aired the episode where
Ace died. /cry
I was too heartbroken to keep on going, then a year later decided to go back to it and there was SO MUCH to catch up on, so I read the mange until like Shirahoshi escaping with Luffy and then stuff happened and I forgot to read/watch it again.

Now I want to get back at it, possibly the anime, I just wanted to ask you guys where to start from and which episodes to skip, as I'm not much into fillers. I want to see how the characters have changed and evolved :D

Squalor

Doflamingo is a dick, but he's so cool at the same time, haha.

That special was awesome. The end-of-credits scene had me freaking out. I'm hyped up for what's to come.
3D2Y special was pretty awesome btw! Although I didn't get why
Hawkeyes felt the need to protect the Navy&Akainu. Because it's his duty?
Hawkeye can pretty much do anything he wants, but the moment he receives a call from the World Government, he is under its command. Since he was there, it was his duty to provide support for the Navy.

Can we get a better name for this thread?

One Piece Anime Thread |OT| - Even lowered expectations are too damn high

One Piece Anime Thread |OT| - 1:1 equals fun in the sun

One Piece Anime Thread |OT| - Shinning, Running, Forever!

One Piece Anime Thread |OT| - How about that One Pace?

One Piece Anime Thread |OT| - Now's a good time to read the manga

|OT| - Where the meat at?
|OT| - Everybody do the Buggy kart
|OT| - CAPTAIN BUGGY WE WILL FOLLOW YOU AAAAAANYWHERE
|OT| - Now with 70% bigger breasts & muscles
|OT| - It's okay to cry
|OT| - What about the eye though?
|OT| - Big reactions inbound
|OT| - Read the manga instead

Top Bottom