• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One thing I don't get about Digital Cameras...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Why are we not given the option to use them as web cams? I don't get that. I'm about to get the Sony DCRHC40, and will be heated if I'm not able to at least use that for my web cam needs...

Are there any digital cameras out there at can be used as web cams?

Fatalah

I've been harping about that same idea since last year. Its got to be possible right? I mean, a digital camera on movie mode...could essentially be a pretty damn good webcam.

What's questionable is how quick the picture information is sent over your USB cord.

I know that when I connect my Sony DSC-50 (2-3 years old) to my television, its pretty cool to see what's happening on the screen--like a camcorder.

Maybe there's software available?

DaCocoBrova

I tend to think USB 1.1 is the issue. One would think current cameras would be USB2 at least, or have a firewire option.

8bit

Knows the Score
It shouldn't be, I still have an old stick digicam that doubles as a webcam, and it's 1.1.

I think it's more likely a webcam that takes still images(and short video clips), but nonethless it does work.

IJoel

It probably has to do with the interface to USB. Video cameras send the information directly to the USB port, while digital cameras send it to the memory device and the USB accesses this port.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
^Yup.

It's probably more of a software thing..
..my friend's FujiFilm dCam doubles as a webcam - I wish my Canon did, then I wouldn't have had to buy a webcam.

DaCocoBrova

So some work, some don't.

Is it a WDM driver thing? I found some Canon drivers that gave you the ability to use the A70 as a web cam. It didn't work, but I didn't exactly know what I was doing either. In theroy, I can use the AV cord that came w/ my canon and put it into my TV card/Capture card's compsite input.

I'll try that when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom