• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online connection needed to play HalfLife2 SP

DSN2K

Valve have decided to go even further then the typical CD-Key stuff and make people connect to Steam to play the single player.

going to go down very well :lol

pirate copies screwed ?

epmode

DSN2K said:
pirate copies screwed ?
not for long.

and to clarify, you'll need an internet connection to play the game for the first time. after that, you can play offline as much as you want.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Where is this posted? There had better be a big "INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED" warning on the box.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
The Fuck!?

This better be a one-time connection. I mean it won't hamper playing the game at all (on cable, always on) but still.

EDIT: I mean Valve themselves confirming it to be one time connection.

Celicar

Banned
Sounds fine to me. I won't be downloading. I actually already preordered it at outpost and I preloaded it. Haven't decided which I'll go with yet.

It does sound like a ripoff to charge so much extra to play Half-Life source and those other games using the source engine. It's like $90.

bitwise

Banned
If in the end this helps them curb piracy it will become a standard with other companies as well

hopefully it is just a one time connection though.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
a lot of software apps requre unlocking now. most allow you you to "unlock" it by calling in a serial as well as going online.

If they are smart, the process will be easily taken care of with out a net connection, not because anyone playing this won't have a connection, but because people love to fucking bitch about everything.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Counterstrike:Source is already cracked (and playable on Valve servers). What's gonna make this uncrackable?

Why does it require an online connection anyway?

TheDuce22

Banned
Everything these companies do to prevent piracy seems to accomplish nothing other than pissing off the people who actually paid for the game. Why do they even bother, it will be cracked within hours either way.

Mashing

I think this should only be required for people who use Steam to get the game. If you buy in a store or something this shouldn't be required. Why? Because 1) your connection could be down for one reason or another (maintenence), 2) you don't have a internet connection and 3) it really is a futile effort.

To be clear it doesn't bother me much, mainly the reason I download fixed .exe's is because I don't have to be bothered with making sure the cd is in the drive (I could do the same with deamon tools or something, but that locks up my computer for some reason.

Top Bottom