• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Music Stores: Which do you think is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaaaa0

What do you think is better? (I'm talking about legal music only.)

The "Napster-ish Listen to Anything You Want for A $9.95 Monthly Subscription" model, or the "iTunes-style Buy Individual Tracks for $0.99" model?

I've tried both, and I've decided I actually like the subscription model better.

- I rarely use a portable music player, and I listen to most of my music on my PC(s).

- All my PCs have broadband Internet connections. At work and at home.

- I tend to listen to a CD a lot for two weeks or so, then I rarely want to hear it again.

- I'm not really picky about the audio quality. As long as it's decent, it's good enough for me.

So all I have to do to make the subscription model cheaper is discover a good CD every two weeks on the service.

If I find one CD a week I want to listen to, that's only $2.50 a CD.

So as long as music I want to hear shows up on the service... it works out that the subscription is better for me.

I'm not sure I'd ever pay $0.99 each for downloadable songs, for something that I can only have on a few (5) computers at once, plus isn't the original CD quality, plus has those annoying DRM limitations.

If I like something enough that I want it permanently, instead of buying the downloadable track, I'd much rather pay the $15, go to the CD store down the street, and get the originals on a real physical CD, rather than buy a digital version on iTunes.

Frankly, if I could copy tracks onto an MP3 player using Napster's $9.95/month plan (you can't right now, without buying the tracks for $0.99 each), I don't see any reason to even consider iTunes. (Even if they DRM the tracks when you copy them onto the MP3 player, I don't really mind.)

The only disadvantages with Napster right now are the selection (it doesn't seem to be as good as iTunes), the audio quality (not CD quality), and the mentioned inability to copy tracks to a portable player (not that I use that).

What do you guys think?

aaaaa0

There are two options to get music on the new Napster:

1. You pay $9.95 a month, you get unlimited downloads and streaming that lasts for as long as you maintain your subscription. If you cancel your subscription, your downloads expire. These tracks you cannot download to MP3 players or burn to CDs, they stay on the PC you downloaded them to. On the other hand you can stream to any computer that you can log into Napster with.

2. You can buy a track for $0.99 or a CD for $9.99. These downloaded files you keep forever, but you can only copy them to 3 computers, or burn them to CD 5 times I think. You can also download these tracks to MP3 players.

I never use option 2. I always just stream or download subscription tracks only, cause I don't think it's worth paying $0.99 to download permanent tracks -- I'll just go buy the real CD from a real CD store.

I use iTunes and I love it. The rights are a lot looser than Napster too. Plus they provide songs in AAC which is nice and better than MP3.

SFA_AOK

I think I like the subscription model better but then again, I'm not sure I download 10 tracks a month regularly enough to warrant it.

aaaaa0 said:
Frankly, if I could copy tracks onto an MP3 player using Napster's $9.95/month plan (you can't right now, without buying the tracks for $0.99 each), I don't see any reason to even consider iTunes. (Even if they DRM the tracks when you copy them onto the MP3 player, I don't really mind.)

Actually, you can turn the tracks into MP3s. This will take a little longer, but just record the songs as you listen to them on your PC. Your PC will record them as wave files and then you can change them to MP3s. If you have a Creative sound card, just change the Recorder setting to "what u hear." You can also do it without a Creative card, I just can't remember the exact name of the setting in the Windows recording option. But I used to do it back on my old Dell with a Turtle Beach card too. Sure, you will have to physically listen to the entire song (almost like recording songs off the radio in the old days) but heck, if it turns out there's only a few songs you like anyway then it's probably worth it, especially with regards to price. And as you say the sound quality isn't a factor for you, then it should be perfect. And actually, once it's a wave file, you can even try to tweak the sound with a wave editor. Altough if these guys aren't using CD quality sound, then the results wouldn't be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom