• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Open Questions regarding the "new" PS2

I have to say that this product announcement has left a bad taste in my mouth. The system looks great and will no doubt boost lagging sales, however, what's with the complete lack of details?

1) They absolutely will need to make a comment regarding the future of the HDD. We're all basically sure it's dead, but they have to give us something. I know it won't matter to Joe Public, but gamers, retailers, and media need to know.

2) What games are incompatible? We know FFXI will be without the HDD, but what else? And WTF would they introduce incompatibilities?

3) I'm assuming that this system still has the IR port, but they haven't stated it in the release. And I haven't spotted it in the images, but I might have just missed it. Anybody know for sure?

4) Why not show the accessories? I mean we got the stand, but that was it. What about a screen? Obviously, there are connetions in the back for it, so why not show it? And when they do, I personally want it to be larger than the PSOne screen. I think this gen of games requires that.

5) ???

I'm hoping one of the media outlets will get an interview with Kaz, Chris Deering, or Mr Kutagari himself.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
2) What games are incompatible? We know FFXI will be without the HDD, but what else? And WTF would they introduce incompatibilities?
Where did you hear about the incompatibilities?

3) I'm assuming that this system still has the IR port, but they haven't stated it in the release. And I haven't spotted it in the images, but I might have just missed it. Anybody know for sure?
It has the IR port. It's located right next to the cooling 'gills'.

4) Why not show the accessories? I mean we got the stand, but that was it.
Stand and new multitap. I'd assume the only new accessory left would be the screen.

Btw, I think at least 50% of the PS2 games wouldn't looks very good on the LCD screen, especially on something that you'd look upclose.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Marconelly said:
Btw, I think at least 50% of the PS2 games wouldn't looks very good on the LCD screen, especially on something that you'd look upclose.
I don't know much about different LCD technologies, but this remark made me remember playing GT3 at a demo kiosk equipped with an LCD screen and being disgusted at how terrible it made the game look, especially with regards to jaggies.

Again, I don't know if this is something that would be fixed with a better LCD screen, but if it's indicative of how many PS2 games would look on a screen like that, I'd rather just leave it at home and play on a normal TV.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know much about different LCD technologies, but this remark made me remember playing GT3 at a demo kiosk equipped with an LCD screen and being disgusted at how terrible it made the game look, especially with regards to jaggies.
You probably don't want to see something like DMC on such screen, then...

Again, I don't know if this is something that would be fixed with a better LCD screen, but if it's indicative of how many PS2 games would look on a screen like that, I'd rather just leave it at home and play on a normal TV.
It's very indicative, and there's nothing you (or anyone else) can do about it except limiting yourself to play games that support progressive scan.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
sonycowboy said:
No different than when the PSOne was launched, they simply said there would be incompatibilities and said they'd give more details later, and eventually they did.

Scott

sonycowboy said:
Someone else on the ignorant "Only FFXI uses the HDD!" bandwagon, eh?

All of the titles that require the HDD, obviously, won't be compatible. This includes the half a dozen Final Fantasy XI releases (stock game, expansions, all-in-one packs), Front Mission Online, Ambrosia Odyssey, Nobunaga's Ambition Online, Minna no Golf Online, and probably some more that I haven't even heard of.

And they could also be including PSOne in this "incompatible" list. As most everyone knows now, some games glitch when ran on a PS2, and some don't play at all. Why would that change here? If anything, the redesign may introduce even more compatibility issues in this area.

DCX

DCX
I'm going to get one for my bedroom, by now most of the gaming community has a PS2 and IF they buy the TWO, it's going to be an additional console VS a stand alone PS2 so really would it matter? I'm going to use it to watch DVDs in my room, play the occasional game when i'm sick/lazy and play some music for the laddies ;) IR is important because of the laziness factor :) HDD? Well, i don't think Sony is going to get rid of the original model IMO, i just think they'll have 2 PS2's on the market...each console targeting a different type of gamer...i hope.

DCX

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
To be honest... The main draw for me is the size. I can slide it into my briefcase and play games on the plasmas here at my office without a sore shoulder.

Sony is going to get rid of the original model IMO, i just think they'll have 2 PS2's on the market...each console targeting a different type of gamer...i hope.

It's replacing the OG PS2.

DCX

DCX
DaCocoBrova said:
To be honest... The main draw for me is the size. I can slide it into my briefcase and play games on the plasmas here at my office without a sore shoulder.

It's replacing the OG PS2.
Well then that sucks for the future of PS2...oh well, i got me an OG model anyway :D

DCX

Mrbob

Lack of HDD support is baffling. Built in online is nice though. But for those games requiring a HDD it is a big F U.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Hoenstly, my only need for the HDD is to backup games. I won't sit here and front like I wanted to play FFXI etc.

RiZ III

Smaller ps2 = smaller fans = more heating problems = lots of broken pstwos = people having to buy pstwo more than once = $$$ for sony ~ Sony = Scumbags :D

RiZ III

Im still bitter about my ps2 breaking down. I'll slander that bastard company whenever i get a chance.
mad.gif

WarPig

They'll save on a lot of heat by moving the power transformer out of the case -- if you look at the back, it's obviously gonna use an external transformer like the PS one or a laptop computer.

DFS.

Miburou

I'm glad I actually bought a PS2 already.

I really can't see the appeal of the new PS2 to consumers. Sure it's smaller, but with the AC adaptor being external, it seems to be actually more cumbersome to move around. Then there's the loss of the HDD (and if they release an external one, you're going to have an even bigger mess with all the components lying around).

Maybe if it looked at least as neat as the PSone.

DarienA

Miburou said:
I'm glad I actually bought a PS2 already.

I really can't see the appeal of the new PS2 to consumers. Sure it's smaller, but with the AC adaptor being external, it seems to be actually more cumbersome to move around. Then there's the loss of the HDD (and if they release an external one, you're going to have an even bigger mess with all the components lying around).

Maybe if it looked at least as neat as the PSone.

....I could have sworn the PSOne had it's AC adapter external as well.... fortunately/unfortunately most folks won't miss the loss of the HDD.

Pimpbaa

DarienA said:
....I could have sworn the PSOne had it's AC adapter external as well.... fortunately/unfortunately most folks won't miss the loss of the HDD.

It did have an external AC adapter. Have it external is a good thing considering how much heat they generate.

neptunes said:
I don't think any of the next gen consoles will come with an HDD included.

Neptunes, glad you're here. After Marconnelly asked me about the incompatabilities comment, I looked back through the board. The ONLY reference to incompatabilites was based on a post you made that said:

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?p=393742#post393742

neptunes said:
It's rumored that a couple games (not much I suppose) will be incompatible with the new unit.

I cannot find ANY other references to this on this forum or any other, or in any Sony releases.
Where did you come up with this?

DarienA

sonycowboy said:
I cannot find ANY other references to this on this forum or any other, or in any Sony releases.
Where did you come up with this?

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/549/549938p1.html

What's particularly interesting about the new SCPH-70000, however, is that it cannot use the Hard Drive (HDD) needed for games such as Final Fantasy XI, and well, Final Fantasy Xi's expansion packs. It has also been confirmed that some software will not be compatible with the new unit, but what those titles are have not been revealed.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Personally, I like when the AC adapter is external, and I hope that all future consoles follow this route. It lessens the likelihood of overheating, and it allows the console to be a neat, compact design.

Miburou

The Faceless Master said:
i still remember a few years ago when everyone was cursing the cube for having an external ac adapter...

On this forum? I don't remember there being much fuss about the GC's or the PSone's external adaptor. The only thing I know is that I forgot to bring the GC's adaptor with me when I got back my GC from my brother, and had to buy a new one. I'm so used to the power cables for my PS, PS2, DC, Saturn, XBOX etc. being interchangeable.

...and it allows the console to be a neat, compact design.

Two small components, or one larger one? I prefer the latter.

Top Bottom