• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Optical Camouflage (for real)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otaking

I read about this before. They use a coat made with special material that can pick up a projected image from a projector projecting the image from a video camera placed behind the wearer. Of course....that was a while ago. They could have made advancements that do not necessitate the camera technique. I've never seen that other video with the guy walking around in front of the TV. hmmmmm

yoshifumi

Banned
i saw a video of something like this about a year ago (i think it was actually posted here), but this looks like they've improved on it quite a bit.

IJoel

That video r0x.

metalgearbox-player.jpg

I didn't expect we'd be that close to something useable - hell it is usable right now. It's just not MGS2/Ghost in the Shell quality yet. Damn, that's crazy.

LakeEarth

Yeah, the colour isn't perfect but still, it's awsome. But I don't see any camera on the jacket. Is the camera somewhere else?

LakeEarth said:
Yeah, the colour isn't perfect but still, it's awsome. But I don't see any camera on the jacket. Is the camera somewhere else?

I think it might be in the hood, but I could be wrong. It looks like there's something in there.

LakeEarth

From the diagram on the site, it looks like the camera is completely seperate from the actual jacket, which is kinda dissapointing, but I'm sure they'll come up with a solution eventually.

I don't see how this is really all that great yet. It's cool to see, but since it requires a constant projection of what the camo is in front of, it's not really up to letting Snake jump off a bridge.

I can't see how they solved the moving image probalem either. They must have recorded what was playing on that TV already and are playing it back with the projector synched.

LakeEarth said:
From the diagram on the site, it looks like the camera is completely seperate from the actual jacket, which is kinda dissapointing, but I'm sure they'll come up with a solution eventually.

That's what I was thinking as well. Still pretty impressive, though.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah now you can sneak into CIA headquarters.

as long as they don't see the 400 pounds of cameras, mirrors, projectors and 1 human operator you are creeping around with.

scola said:
Yeah now you can sneak into CIA headquarters.

as long as they don't see the 400 pounds of cameras, mirrors, projectors and 1 human operator you are creeping around with.

They'd be so busy watching all that shit move around...

They totally wouldn't see you, dude !

BojTrek

Banned
Shoot the guy in the trench coat before he gets in the warehouse... he will be holding an invisible brick and likes to spin it...

This is cute and all, but it require a projector. What do you plan to do, constantly carry one around with you?

*YouÕre sneaking around in some base*

"Oh crap, here comes a guard!"

*You quickly place a projector on the opposite wall, and hope that the guard doesn't notice the light it's emitting as it projects the image on you.*

This is cute, but it's not practical for any type of personal stealth-camo.

LakeEarth

The Promised One said:
This is cute and all, but it require a projector. What do you plan to do, constantly carry one around with you?

*YouÕre sneaking around in some base*

"Oh crap, here comes a guard!"

*You quickly place a projector on the opposite wall, and hope that the guard doesn't notice the light it's emitting as it projects the image on you.*

This is cute, but it's not practical for any type of personal stealth-camo.

See, I don't get how it's a projector. You don't see any reflection on the guys face or his tie, or anything else that isn't made of that silvery material.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
LakeEarth said:
See, I don't get how it's a projector. You don't see any reflection on the guys face or his tie, or anything else that isn't made of that silvery material.
IT is emitting a specific image that isvisible when reflected by the material on the coat.

Similar to those secret code things where when you cover it up with a red film you can read what is written. The image is not visible until it is modified, in this case relfected by a certain material, if it were projected normally you would get a far better correction on the colors etc.

Chrono

Banned
LakeEarth said:

Because they're only projecting the image(s) on the jacket/material.. maybe =\

LakeEarth

It has to be the material. Cause when you see the mirror one, and he flips the mirror around, there's no image even though it's not like the projector stopped or something.

My interest in this has kinda decreased. We need some ultrafibre optics coat action going here!

scola said:
IT is emitting a specific image that isvisible when reflected by the material on the coat.

Similar to those secret code things where when you cover it up with a red film you can read what is written. The image is not visible until it is modified, in this case relfected by a certain material, if it were projected normally you would get a far better correction on the colors etc.

Bingo. It's neat, but not practical. Still, at least it's a start towards something better.

Otaking

Still, my dream of having stealth camo to sneak around into certain places and do certain things to certain people is one step closer to reality.

LakeEarth

Otaking said:
Still, my dream of having stealth camo to sneak around into certain places and do certain things to certain people is one step closer to reality.

certain people = his sister
certain things = ...

Otaking

LakeEarth said:
certain people = his sister
certain things = ...
Hahahahah...actually I don't have a sister. I'd probably do the same thing you people would do with stealth camo. Admit it. I could see a few of you using it to chase after a few celebrities out there.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom