• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Options for hooking up a system to a PC monitor

En-ou

if anyone knows, can you provide some options out there that i could use to hook up my system to my pc monitor? are there video cards that have a video input on them?

BenT

Some video cards have Composite and S-Video in, generally cards with "TV" and video capture features. In my experience the picture quality for video games is poor, though YMMV.

The next option is a cheap (no more than 50 bucks) VGA converter made specifically for game systems. You can increasingly find these in Radio Shack and such. Traditionally the picture quality from these has been weak, since Composite and S-Video just don't look great when piped to a nice, clear VGA monitor. I've heard there's at least one that accepts Component input now, which sounds interesting.

The final, most expensive and highest-quality option is to get a VGA upscan converter called the XRGB-2. It's a Japanese device that can be obtained from a few importers such as NCSX.com. This device can take pure RGB or Component as input, so the PQ is very good. I have one and it's been a lifesafer since I've been between TVs for more than a year. However, it'll set you back at least $200, and probably more.

Vieo

The XRGB-2 is expensive, but the good thing about it is that fact that you'll most likely be able to use it with future consoles.

epmode

if it's current-gen, get a progressive scan to vga converter. the picture quality is stunning. course, the games have to support prog-scan. this isn't a problem for xbox and gamecube, but the ps2 seems to have trouble with this..

the xrgb2+ is great for older systems that have component out, but don't support progressive scan.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so the xrgb2 is an upscaler? Does it also do straight through progressive-VGA for progressive supporting games?

If so, that'd be a pretty good solution for a mixed setup (progressive/interlaced).

Another option is buying a TV tuner such as the leadtek winfast and using DScaler to display the image on your monitor. Won't look nearly as nice as it does on your TV though..

For progressive scan games, the best options are the VD-Z3 or XBlaster. Only problem is that those devices will not work with interlaced games...

Uncle Dukey said:
Another option is buying a TV tuner such as the leadtek winfast and using DScaler to display the image on your monitor. Won't look nearly as nice as it does on your TV though..

For progressive scan games, the best options are the VD-Z3 or XBlaster. Only problem is that those devices will not work with interlaced games...
Depending on the characteristics of your monitor, the VD-Z3 may display 480i games with the mode 2 switch enabled. It's basically just a compatibility option for setting up XB dashboard etc to display in progscan, and not really intended for playing games with.

Top Bottom