• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ouch. It's official, Mike Williams got screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just to preface this, I hate the NCAA. It has bullshit rules. They are a disgusting group of people.

That said, Williams knew the rules. He shouldn't have hired an agent and dropped out of classes. He failed those classes from which he withdrew, and had an agent hired, both worthy of losing eligibility. If he hadn't hired an agent, I would be much more pissed off with the NCAA (as basketball rules allow for a player to declare eligibility for the draft and come back as long as they don't hire an agent)

marko

Ah, he will still be a top draftpick next year, and will not have any worries about injury, play sliding off , etc. Still, a crappy decision, but he'll be ok.

DMczaf

10-19-03%20Illona%20Crying%20Worships.jpg

Uh oh! Here comes the Konex tears!

NFLLogo.gif

Just more proof that you don't fuck with the shield!

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Yeah. And once it was overturned he wanted to give back all the money anyway.

I like that the NFL's ruling was upheld, but the NCAA keeping Williams out was bullshit. He left only after the court ruled in Clarett's favor. It's not like he was with Clarett pioneering the whole thing. Court changes their mind, and Williams is the one left to be hung out to dry.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Cloudy, in a situation like this, where the competing interests of the NCAA and NFL are stacked up against the player, you take every precaution to ensure that your ass is covered. Like Archaix said, in basketball you can go back to school as long as you don't hire an agent, and it would be easier to let him back in if he hadn't made that choice...but this still is a shame, for him.

And for the record, the NCAA is the worst kind of cartel in sports today.

Dilbert

First disclaimer: I am a UCLA fan, but that has NOTHING to do with this.

Second disclaimer: I also hate the NCAA.

With all that being said...Mike Williams screwed up. The NCAA rules are VERY clear -- if you want to keep your eligibility, then you a) keep passing classes and b) don't hire an agent. He chose to leave school and break those rules, even though he MUST have known that there was a chance the legal situation wouldn't go his way. So now that his risk wasn't rewarded, we're supposed to feel sorry enough to ignore the rules and let him back in? Hell no.

He kind of had no choice but to hire an agent. I mean Jesus Christ, the decision to overturn the court's ruling of letting underclassmen in the draft was the FRIDAY before the draft. What did you want him to do, wait till the day of the draft to hire an agent? I'm glad the decision to not let underclassmen in the draft was upheld, but the NCAA, which already has plenty of PR problems, just made another huge mistake.

i disagree with this ruling, i think its terrible

but, word coming out is that the NFL stressed to mike williams BEFORE the draft that they were going to challenge the courts ruling, and that if they won he would not get into the nfl this year no matter what and he would most likely not be allowed back into college. mike williams took a gamble and it back fired. it sucks for him, and it shouldn't have happened, but he should have NOT hired an agent until he was 100% officially drafted by an NFL squad. of course, hindsight is 20/20

p.s. um why do you need an agent BEFORE the draft?? most rookies aren't signed until july anyways.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
FrenchMovieTheme said:
p.s. um why do you need an agent BEFORE the draft?? most rookies aren't signed until july anyways.

dude, haven't you seen Jerry Maguire?

Koosh-lash, Koosh-lash, Koosh-lash

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Why are y'all angry? The NFL told him they were actively trying to get the ruling overturned, and every legal expert says it was 50/50 at best whether the original decision would stand. Any 1st year law student could tell him about the inevitability of the appeals process.

Knowing that, and knowing that the NFL would get the best legal representation money can buy, it was ridiculous to drop out of his classes and accept money from an agent. All he had to do was cover his ass for a few months by going to class and not getting an agent until the Court of Appeals ruled. That's not too much to expect.

The NCAA also screwed over Jeremy Bloom. They have refused to allow him to play college football since he gets endorcement for snowboarding. They made him chose between snowboarding or football. What a terrible set of rules the NCAA has.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
EarthStormFire said:
The NCAA also screwed over Jeremy Bloom. They have refused to allow him to play college football since he gets endorcement for snowboarding. They made him chose between snowboarding or football. What a terrible set of rules the NCAA has.

That is something that really pisses me off. He got endorsements to pay for olympic training, but he got fucked over by the NCAA. They allow players to be paid for other sports, but skiing doesn't pay. The actual money is in endorsements. They didn't even want him to choose between two sports, they wanted him to choose between THE FUCKING OLYMPICS and college football. Bullshit. There, now I'm pissed off at that fuckass Miles Brand. Are you happy?

Pimpwerx

The NFL is protecting its employees. I don't agree with it, but I guess they're trying to avoid what's happening to basketball. I don't know why.

But the NCAA are just pricks. The timing was bad for Williams, and they should really have made an exception for him. Oh well, I hope USC fans boycott or protest or something to the NCAA. It's a load of crap, and it'll affect his money next year. He'll go 1st round still, but his stock has been dropped by the NCAA. It's pretty fucking petty IMO. PEACE.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Pimpwerx said:
The NFL is protecting its employees. I don't agree with it, but I guess they're trying to avoid what's happening to basketball. I don't know why.

But the NCAA are just pricks. The timing was bad for Williams, and they should really have made an exception for him. Oh well, I hope USC fans boycott or protest or something to the NCAA. It's a load of crap, and it'll affect his money next year. He'll go 1st round still, but his stock has been dropped by the NCAA. It's pretty fucking petty IMO. PEACE.

Actually, there are people who think this is better for him. He had a pretty bad forty time for a high draft pick receiver last year, and now he can spend a hell of a lot of time working on just his 40 yard dash and other combine drills. Teams are already confident in his skills on the field, but his stock was dropping because of his combine performance. This way he doesn't risk injury, he doesn't expose possible weaknesses, and he can devote time to fixing the weaknesses perceived.

Cloudy

Banned
but I guess they're trying to avoid what's happening to basketball.

In basketball, the high-school kids picked early have been waaaaaay better than most of the hyped 4-year guys over the years. Besides Kwame Brown, what hyped high-schooler has been a bust? I certainly can't think of any right away. If KG, Kobe, Tmac, Bron and JO are bad for hoops, I dunno what's good :p

PS: Fuck the NFL!

how the F is this the NFL's fault konex? they've said all along they don't want people this young in the NFL. it's their league dude! most 21 year olds in the NFL don't start for at least another year (that year being spent with an NFL franchise and training the pro way). most 18 year olds in the NBA aren't physically in danger because the NBA isn't a dangerous contact sport.

the NFL made the 100% correct choice in NOT allowing Williams/Clarett etc, into the league. the NCAA made a bullshit ruling in NOT allowing williams back in.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Cloudy said:
In basketball, the high-school kids picked early have been waaaaaay better than most of the hyped 4-year guys over the years. Besides Kwame Brown, what hyped high-schooler has been a bust? I certainly can't think of any right away. If KG, Kobe, Tmac, Bron and JO are bad for hoops, I dunno what's good :p

Yes, and with the exception of Lebron, they all took multiple years to get anywhere near good. Each and every one of those players couldn't even come off the bench half the game in their rookie year. You don't think they'd be a hell of a lot better if they'd have gone to school for three years? The quality of the product would be much better.

And maybe we'd be able to put together a team of stars who could actually play fucking basketball in Greece if they all had to play team basketball in college. :D

Cloudy

Banned
Archaix said:
Each and every one of those players couldn't even come off the bench half the game in their rookie year. You don't think they'd be a hell of a lot better if they'd have gone to school for three years? The quality of the product would be much better.

And maybe we'd be able to put together a team of stars who could actually play fucking basketball in Greece if they all had to play team basketball in college. :D

Why not check how many minutes they got, especially JO and Kobe who were on perennial contenders so they weren't needed to step in right away. Kobe was schooling NBA players in the summer a year before he was even drafted and would have put up insane numbers if he got 40 minutes a game (like Bron) as a rook. And no, I don't believe the best players (Bron excluded for now) in the league can be "a hell of a lot better" lol.

What if they went to college and got hurt while being whored for NCAA profit? Fuck college sports...

PS: Let's talk about how many 4-year college players are even anywhere near as good as the guys above. Better grab a snickers first... :D

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Cloudy said:
Why not check how many minutes they got, especially JO and Kobe who were on perennial contenders so they weren't needed to step in right away. Kobe was schooling NBA players in the summer a year before he was even drafted and would have put up insane numbers if he got 40 minutes a game (like Bron) as a rook. And no, I don't believe the best players (Bron excluded for now) in the league can be "a hell of a lot better" lol.

What if they went to college and got hurt while being whored for the NCAA profit? Fuck college sports...

The hell of a lot better comment was in reference to their early years, not their peak value.

Jermaine O'Neal played for Portland in his first four years and started a grand total of twenty games.

Garnett started about half his games in the first year, and then started to produce in his second. Averaged a double double in his fourth year, though, after a significant amount of experience.

Kobe didn't start a full season until his fifth year.

McGrady was practically considered a bust in Toronto, and surprise surprise, in his fourth year he actually became a good player.

Have you actually looked at their stats?

edit: I didn't say players should go four years in college. I said they are more prepared when they play in college. As for an example of that? Tim Duncan started every game and averaged 20 points in his rookie year. Yeah, that college career clearly hurt him.

Cloudy

Banned
Jermaine O'Neal played for Portland in his first four years and started a grand total of twenty games.

And playing behind Rasheed Wallace on a contending team had nothing to do with that?

Garnett started about half his games in the first year, and then started to produce in his second. Averaged a double double in his fourth year, though, after a significant amount of experience.

He "produced" and made the All Star team before his 4th year...

Kobe didn't start a full season until his fifth year.

And that proves what? He made the All star team his 2nd year while averaging like 16pts. Again, team situation and personnel had more to do with it that than his "readiness". And he was a starter since his 3rd season. WTF are you just looking up stats to argue with me? :lol He broke his hand and missed many games in one of his early seasons. And just so you know, the 1999 season was like 50 games long :D

McGrady was practically considered a bust in Toronto, and surprise surprise, in his fourth year he actually became a good player.

It's hard to get PT behind VC, dude...

Have you actually looked at their stats?

Do you actually watch hoops?

I said they are more prepared when they play in college. As for an example of that? Tim Duncan started every game and averaged 20 points in his rookie year. Yeah, that college career clearly hurt him.

Duncan started cos they needed him to start. Just like Bron started cos they needed him to. If Tmac and Kobe got to start and shoot whenever they felt like it, they'd have put up similar numbers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom