• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out Run 2 question (spoiler)

Snowball

Banned
I heard it is possible to unlock the ORIGINAL OUT RUN ARCADE (1986).

A few questions about this:

1. I heard about a Saturn version and Arcade version: what is the one included in Out Run 2?

2. What's the Saturn version? Is it better than Original version?

3. Since I'm not able to beat the game at 100%, I was looking for a XBOX SAVE file 100% completed. In www.xbox-saves.com i was not able to find it? Can you suggest me a site that has a OR2 file with ORIGINAL unlocked please?

Thanks!
Snowball

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's in there, just beat arcade mode taking every path possible at least once and it appears in the gallery menu to play. I have no idea which version it is ported from, my first guess is that it is just the arcade rom.

Snowball

Banned
Brandon F said:
It's in there, just beat arcade mode taking every path possible at least once and it appears in the gallery menu to play. I have no idea which version it is ported from, my first guess is that it is just the arcade rom.

Please tell me one thing.
I beat the game in every path, then i go to gallery menu.
Will i find it as a NEW CARD or as a NEW ICON (there are the possible ICON to be played now)?

Thanks
Snowball

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It'll appear as a new 4th selection in the gallery menu(the first being to look at cards). You shouldn't miss it given how obvious the retro logo is.

Snowball

Banned
Brandon F said:
It'll appear as a new 4th selection in the gallery menu(the first being to look at cards). You shouldn't miss it given how obvious the retro logo is.

Sorry I don't get it.
That's what i do.

I press start.

I don't go for OUT RUN ARCADE but for the second one (i have it in italian and it is something like OUTRUN CHALLENGE).

Then I have 3 choiches (outrun mission - group mission - outrun race)
In this screen i press X to go to GALLERY

In GALLERY i have 3 icons: CARDS - RECORDS - INSERT CODES

You're saying that I should have a NEW ICON? Or you mean that I should enter in gallery and look for it?

P.S.
In gallery mode i have 122 cards unlocked. Not all of them.

THanks for help!

Snowball

BenT

It's an emulation of the arcade ROM.

I actually feel the Saturn version is far superior because it has a cool 60 fps mode, is in proper low-res, and has an options screen. The arcade emulation is stuck in a hard difficulty.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Brandon F said:

Do you mean just getting to A through E, or taking every possible branch combination to every possible goal? There's a hell of a difference. :p

Barnimal

Banned
just complete a race at every goal. a-e. thats 5 races. it will open up as the 4th option. it'll be like "mission, gallery, password, outrun" or something like that. its the arcade version but the resolution is all screwed up so it looks kinda weird. its as if the pixels are really big.

xexex

Banned
I haven't played the Outrun 2 version of original Outrun, but I can already tell you the Saturn version is the best because, as already mentioned, it has a 60fps mode. plus you can change the difficulty, region (which changes the order of stages) and you get a remade soundtrack as well as the original.

Barnimal

Banned
its an arcade port for god sake. do arcade games have split screens? it has system link...well...just like the....ARCADE!!!

Barnimal said:
its an arcade port for god sake. do arcade games have split screens? it has system link...well...just like the....ARCADE!!!

I figured they would go in and add split screen. My girlfriend was really looking forward to having an old school racing game we could play together. I have no friends with Xboxes, so system link isn't an option for me. Oh well, saves me $40.

Screenboy

distantmantra said:
I figured they would go in and add split screen. My girlfriend was really looking forward to having an old school racing game we could play together. I have no friends with Xboxes, so system link isn't an option for me. Oh well, saves me $40.

Xbots are pissed off now mate, you best tell them what you're guna spend that 40 bux on...

-SB

Screenboy said:
Xbots are pissed off now mate, you best tell them what you're guna spend that 40 bux on...

I'll use that $40 on food, rent, bills, etc. I'm a poor graduate student.

Anyhow, can someone recommend a fun arcade style racer that isn't Burnout 3 for the Xbox?

xsarien

daedsiluap
distantmantra said:
I'll use that $40 on food, rent, bills, etc. I'm a poor graduate student.

Anyhow, can someone recommend a fun arcade style racer that isn't Burnout 3 for the Xbox?

Outrun 2.

xexex

Banned
AGHH! :(

i just unlocked original OutRun in OutRun 2... it's all fucked up. it's totally pixelated and CHOPPY. I don't mean choppier compared to the 60fps mode in Saturn OutRun, no, I mean it's choppy compared to the arcade game, the arcade game emulated in MAME, the normal Saturn version at 30fps, the Dreamcast Shenmue II version, the Dreamcast Yu Suzuki Gameworks version, the Xbox Shenmue II version.. go try any one of those versions and compare it to the one in OutRun2. bad port job.

Shinobi

Yeah, the versions found in Shenmue 2 on DC and XBox smoke it. They should've included OutRunners anyway...that game never gets any respect.

xexex

Banned
I would like a port of OutRunners yeah, it's a wonderful game. though I'm not desperate for one cause I can always play it in Modeler or MAME. Turbo OutRun on the other hand.... really needs to come home properly... the best home version is on the FM Towns Marty but even that doesnt have true scaling effects... but more than anything, as far as OutRun, is we must get OutRun2 SP home, cause I wanna see those remakes of OutRun and Turbo OutRun stages, among other things.

Top Bottom