• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outer Wilds physical release is a complete fuck up

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Outer Wilds is one of the most special games I've ever played. I played the base game through PS+, and when I saw a complete physical release (all updates + DLC on the disc) was on the way I had to preorder it. I held off on getting the DLC because I knew it would be included on the physical copy.

Well, now it's here, and what we've got on the disc is version 1.0 and no DLC. Annapurna and/or iam8bit have completely fucked this up. They have acknowledged this, and their solution right now is to offer DLC download codes in exchange for proof of purchase. This is not acceptable. This is not what I purchased.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I've already shared my thoughts on this whole fiasco in the physical games thread. But, man they need to make this right and offering voucher codes with the DLC is just not enough. They need to 1) recall all the misprintended discs; 2) do a reprint with all the updates and most importantly with the DLC on the disc.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
It looks like iam8bit will reprint Outer Wilds for PS5 and this time around they'll make sure that it's the up-to-date version and with the DLC included on the disc.

Source - iam8bit twitter

GW0n0xoWIAE510g

I understand your pain but you’re fighting a losing battle. Physical is all but dead in terms of collecting.

Especially with day one patches, constant new patches, and things like this, it’s near impossible to get a final version with all DLC, latest version, etc. on clean box art.

Fbh

Damn that sucks to hear.
It's one of my favorite games of all time and I was actually thinking about buying the physical edition (mostly just to own it, since I already have it on Steam and it's not really a replayable game) .
At least from the image posted above it sounds like they will be reprinting it.

I understand your pain but you’re fighting a losing battle. Physical is all but dead in terms of collecting.

Especially with day one patches, constant new patches, and things like this, it’s near impossible to get a final version with all DLC, latest version, etc. on clean box art.

I think this is different thought because it's not a new game, it's a 5 years old digital indie game that already got what the devs called the final major update.
The whole point of these late physical releases of indie games is to give fans a way to own a complete (or as close as you an get these days) physical version of a game they love. If you are just going to put an unpatched version of the game with no DLC on the disc then 95% of the target audience for such a release has no reason to buy it.

Last edited:

Doom85

Physical is all but dead in terms of collecting.

The Rock Sunglasses GIF

The Baldur’s Gate 3 physical release begs to differ. They had to make major delays as they ended up with way many more orders than they realized.

I’m not saying it is what it once was, but physical is not dead for the collector’s market specifically.

The Rock Sunglasses GIF

The Baldur’s Gate 3 physical release begs to differ. They had to make major delays as they ended up with way many more orders than they realized.

I’m not saying it is what it once was, but physical is not dead for the collector’s market specifically.

Will It have the latest major patch?

Doom85

Will It have the latest major patch?

No, and? When people use the phrase, “physical is dead”, they’re talking about sales. I was countering the claim of “physical is dead” by pointing out the BG 3 physical release and the demand for it; the lack of the latest patch on the disc is irrelevant to how well it sold.
P

No, and? When people use the phrase, “physical is dead”, they’re talking about sales. I was countering the claim of “physical is dead” by pointing out the BG 3 physical release and the demand for it; the lack of the latest patch on the disc is irrelevant to how well it sold.
P

I said in terms of collecting.

Doom85

Demand can be there all it wants but it’s not viable for collecting.

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

I don’t even know what you’re trying to say. If they made sales, they made sales. Therefore, the physical release of Baldur’s Gate 3 was a success. Going, “but did it have the latest patch?” is irrelevant to the outcome.

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

I don’t even know what you’re trying to say. If they made sales, they made sales. Therefore, the physical release of Baldur’s Gate 3 was a success. Going, “but did it have the latest patch?” is irrelevant to the outcome.

Most physical games are nothing more than license keys. Some don’t even have the full game on it.

Furthermore, most games have day one patches. Or they require multiple patches afterwards. Then there’s additional DLC.

Some people collect games (or at least used to). Collecting physical games is basically dead because of the above. You can rarely get a pure, complete copy.

Like Spyro Trilogy, only one game is on disc and the rest are downloaded through codes that come in the box.

It’s a big difference than what it used to be when buying games on PSX, etc.

Hence why, collecting physical copies is basically dead in this day and age.

Doom85

Most physical games are nothing more than license keys. Some don’t even have the full game on it.

Furthermore, most games have day one patches. Or they require multiple patches afterwards. Then there’s additional DLC.

Some people collect games (or at least used to). Collecting physical games is basically dead because of the above. You can rarely get a pure, complete copy.

Like Spyro Trilogy, only one game is on disc and the rest are downloaded through codes that come in the box.

Okay, your phrasing was throwing me off. “Physical is dead” has LONG been the term people use referring to sales of physical media, not the content itself. So you can understand my confusion, especially when you followed the sentence up with “in terms of collecting” which made it sound like the collectors weren’t buying it anymore. “Physical is all but dead in terms of the disc content” would have been a less confusing way to put it.

mrcroket

The thing is that none of that is true, most games come complete on the disc, in cases where the retail version has too many bugs or DLCs you can always buy the GOTY version that usually comes updated and with all the DLCs.

There is a lot of misinformation about this, and many of you keep repeating the same mantra, there are cases of games that do not come complete or require activation, but they are by far a minority.

Gambit2483

I picked the physical edition up on Switch. It's not a license key and has all of the content as advertised.

People shouldn't use this one gaffe as a reason to dismiss physical 🙄. Owning your game will always be better than being at the mercy of licenses and digital storefronts (at least on console)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I picked the physical edition up on Switch. It's not a license key and has all of the content as advertised.

People shouldn't use this one gaffe as a reason to dismiss physical 🙄. Owning your game will always be better than being at the mercy of licenses and digital storefronts (at least on console)

The Switch version is also a bit lacking from what I've read, as it doesn't include the latest patch that significantly improves performance. Not as bad as the entire DLC missing of course, but still, this was supposed to be the complete package and require no downloads at all.

cireza

Gold Member
Hard time believing this is an accident.
They announced that the DLC was supposed to be on disc/cartridge. This is what the listings tell on amazon for example. So probably a mistake yes.

People should definitely ask for a physical replacement.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

How is it dead? That’s the point of collecting, also probably the physical version is way more expensive now than equivalent digital version. This is not a Day 1 game, this is a physical print that happened months and years after the game’s release.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

A 1.0 disc version will be ALWAYS infinitely better than a 0.0 when servers will inevitably goes offline.

Digital future baby, it's going to be pawsome.
Cat Reaction GIF

/s

About the current case, I'm so disappointed they fucked it up, I'm going to send back this bad release and wait for new pressing.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
They announced that the DLC was supposed to be on disc/cartridge. This is what the listings tell on amazon for example. So probably a mistake yes.

People should definitely ask for a physical replacement.
I just want you to imagine you work for a software company. You’re getting reading to print your program on a disc. Are you going to check it at all before you send it off for mass production? Or just drag and drop the files onto a USB stick and throw it in the mail?

Gambit2483

The Switch version is also a bit lacking from what I've read, as it doesn't include the latest patch that significantly improves performance. Not as bad as the entire DLC missing of course, but still, this was supposed to be the complete package and require no downloads at all.

Oh, I hadn't noticed. It runs pretty good on Switch. I did notice a few framerate hitches in the beginning but so far it's been a (mostly) smooth experience.

Glad to hear they re-issuing the PS5 physical version to be content complete.

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
I just want you to imagine you work for a software company. You’re getting reading to print your program on a disc. Are you going to check it at all before you send it off for mass production? Or just drag and drop the files onto a USB stick and throw it in the mail?
This is very definition of a mistake.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh, I hadn't noticed. It runs pretty good on Switch. I did notice a few framerate hitches in the beginning but so far it's been a (mostly) smooth experience.

Glad to hear they re-issuing the PS5 physical version to be content complete.

Yeah, but you probably have the patch, as it would be downloaded automatically. But the point is that, for game preservation purposes, there should be zero downloads necessary.

Top Bottom