• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overlooked @ E3? Brothers In Arms

I don't know how many of you remember seeing this game during the E3 hoopla back in May, but it's a neat little WWII tactical FPS that I seem to have missed. There's one hell of a video demonstration hosted over at GameTrailers that really shows off some of the game's merits.

For one the game has a great visual sheen. It seems to have some sort of video filter applied to it that gives it a wave of WWII nostalgia. The facial animations are impressive, and definitely take the chibi Link-style expression system up a notch.

The gameplay is what seems to make this game stand out above other WWII shooters. Your teammates work together, cover eachother, and don't appear to have any fatal lapses in judgement unlike so many other shooters' "AI".

It's also amazing to see your teammate check on a fallen ally to see if he's still alive. It's not often that you feel loss when one of your comrades dies on the battlefield in these types of games, but for just a second it seems so real. Definitely more effective than any cut-scene could achieve.

I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm surprised I haven't heard more about it, but perhaps that has something to do with it's being pushed back into 2005.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_brothersinarms_e3_2k4_demo.wmv
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_brothersinarms_e3_2k4_demo.mov

element

it was awesome at E3. The only problem was they didn't have it setup to play on many booths (perhaps 2), and then there was the main theatre. So it got overlooked.

Rhindle

It was great at E3, and had another good showing at GSL in London earlier this month. It was running on a bank of plasma screens and looking just gorgeous. It outshone the 27 other Vietnam/WW2 console games on display by a mile.

There's going to be Live as well, though it looks like the focus will be on SP.

Some shots from UBI's site:

17555.jpg

17557.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Looks good. CoD still holds the crown. That game was very immersive. I attribute that to the sound. Amazing stuff.

Falch

Impressive. I like how they try to incorporated some tactical elements, by being able to command 2 different teams.

Brothers In Arms stands a chance of one upping Call of Duty...I mean come on, Gearbox has done some high profile stuff in the past...I'm really looking forward to this original project from them.

AeroGod

I think they had a demo of this on one of the Xbox discs. I remember I played it about a month ago. It had a terrible framerate.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
AeroGod said:
What was that game? It was a WW2 game

There are a million WWII games, man.... I played that one too and it did indeed suck so much ass that I forgot the name, but rest assured, that was not Brothers in Arms.

Top Bottom