• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

8wOytPw.png

Is this good?

I don't think you want the "enhance precision" enabled but I could be wrong.

BigDug13

It takes longer to aim on a controller, but I seriously doubt that's actually a huge problem. The problem with aiming on a controller (in my experience at least) is that it's tough to track targets and the default button layout requires you take your thumb off the right thumb stick and seriously hinders your ability to jump and shoot, and your overall not as accurate. But against a turret, none of that really applies. Lvl. 2 turrets can wipe out 200 HP characters quickly, but against a D.Va, Winston, and Zarya, they are pretty much toast. Widowmaker despite being hindered on console can still take out turrets reliably, so can Pharah and Hanzo.

I'm still not seeing a reason to nerf him, and if the nerf to turrets does come on console I think they need to buff him somehow also. I'm not that good at this game, and I can take on a turret + Torbjorn using the correct counters. 6 Torbs, even 3? No. Again, limiting hero stacking to 2 similar to how it is on weekly brawl will do a lot I think.

If what you say is true about the controller not making a difference, why do Torb and Symmetra each have a 10% higher win rate on console than on PC?

Apathy

Why not make friends with some of them and form a group? (The competent folk anyway)

Because I like solo queuing? because this game is a stress release. Hell I don't even play with people from my wow guild that I've know for years. There is already a disadvantage to playing alone, communication is almost non existent. Why then are we punished further when we meet good players and get broken up just to be put with the dumbest people the game can find?

Every time I watch high level Overwatch footage, I get excited at playing the game again and improving in all aspects of the game. Then I play the game and remember that I can't don't have the luxury of getting into groups.

I think I am overlooking the global chat. Maybe I should ask people there to form groups and discuss strategies/picks. I just lost a game deliberately because I didn't change to Reinhardt; I don't care about winning anymore or being nice to people.

I even went back to CS:GO to prepare for hitscan characters, and then I can't even get a chance to pick them. I picked Widow twice, and some level 98 player picks her after me. I quit and join another game and someone picks Hanzo despite me picking Widow first (he later switched to another useless character). Yeah typical and I mentioned it a lot on this topic, but I just snapped today and got into a quitting spree which was hilarious (I was afraid of getting banned from quitting on character selection though).

I feel like I put a lot of effort to improve, and I did bring my winrate from sub 40% to 58%, but the scenario is almost always the same with picks and stuff. I don't mind getting smashed in groups/competitive, but at least I know we all tried.

Maybe I should add good players that I meet? Try to get into groups from Overwatch forums? I don't know what to do honestly; I want solo que to practice characters only.

Zaventem

If what you say is true about the controller not making a difference, why do Torb and Symmetra each have a 10% higher win rate on console than on PC?

Symmetra's turret isnt twitch snap onike torbs, her winrate is due to her teleporter. I play on console and even I sometimes can be a bit stubborn to switch. Defense is much easier to hold in pubs because it requires less coordination. Stacked teams most likely need stacked teams or high cordination to push and getting that on attack with randoms isn't happening. My 2 cents.

Every time I watch high level Overwatch footage, I get excited at playing the game again and improving in all aspects of the game. Then I play the game and remember that I can't don't have the luxury of getting into groups.

I think I am overlooking the global chat. Maybe I should ask people there to form groups and discuss strategies/picks. I just lost a game deliberately because I didn't change to Reinhardt; I don't care about winning anymore or being nice to people.

I even went back to CS:GO to prepare for hitscan characters, and then I can't even get a chance to pick them. I picked Widow twice, and some level 98 player picks her after me. I quit and join another game and someone picks Hanzo despite me picking Widow first (he later switched to another useless character). Yeah typical and I mentioned it a lot on this topic, but I just snapped today and got into a quitting spree which was hilarious (I was afraid of getting banned from quitting on character selection though).

I feel like I put a lot of effort to improve, and I did bring my winrate from sub 40% to 58%, but the scenario is almost always the same with picks and stuff. I don't mind getting smashed in groups/competitive, but at least I know we all tried.

Maybe I should add good players that I meet? Try to get into groups from Overwatch forums? I don't know what to do honestly; I want solo que to practice characters only.
you can use the chat or sites like masteroverwatch LFG or even play with gaf

Kito

Ulting Genji who runs head first into the other team without warning then calls me the worst healer ever for not healing him.

I usually dive into a solo ulting Genji or Roadhog or whatever and keep them on the brink of life as they kill everyone. Your name appears in their potg too. However, my play style is more a of risky pocket mercy then a safe backline mercy.

Been watching my friend play for the past our and hes been having a bad time and ranting/ cursing up a storm. He levels up, he predicts icons as usual and rants some more at how he never gets good stuff. Lucio voice emote pops up, I shit you not it was the "Why are you so Angry?" line. He hates Lucio. and im just over here, trying to contain all my laughter, an failing at it.

there's the spreadsheet in the OP. add people from there to your friends list.

I've been on the discord server for a bit today and didn't really see too many people looking for group. I thought it would be kind of rude to just start plopping people randomly from the spreadsheet. Is that truly the best way?

Ferga

I tend to do this every once in a while because widows and bastions somehow freak out and run away from their camping spot when I take tiny pot shots at them.

Yeah. I thought this was part of her design...?

Spray at a corner so snipers are too scared to come out. Who wants to willingly run into a spray of bullets anyway

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Man, haven't gotten shit in about 15 boxes. I think the "lets make this dumbass buy boxes" system kicked in but I ain't falling for it, Blizz! YOU CAN'T GET MY MONEY

8wOytPw.png

Is this good?

This is not good. They are the worst possible settings you could be using.

I don't say this to be harsh! Let me explain.

The 'pointer speed' option should always be at 6 in windows (the middle of the bar). That's because for some weird reason when you change it off that, it changes the sensitivity on the x and y axis to different levels. If you were to go into ms paint and draw a perfect circle on the mousepad with your eyes closed at the middle sensitivity, it'd look fine. If you were to do the same with the sensitivity pictured there, it'd look more like an oval shape so your lateral movements will have a different feel to your vertical movements.

'Enhance pointer precision' turns on something called mouse acceleration, which basically changes your sensitivity on the fly based on how quickly/forcefully you move your mouse. If you make a big motion, your sensitivity will be higher than if you make a small motion.

Neither of these things are good because FPS aim is 90% about muscle memory, and you can't develop muscle memory unless your cursor moves a consistent distance every time you move your mouse. Some gamers do use mouse acceleration, but it's done through highly controllable 3rd party software. The windows version sucks.

I'm also seeing there that you've got your sensitivity at the maximum setting, and I'm hoping you've got your ingame sensitivity/dpi turned down. When I was new to FPS games I made the mistake of thinking 'more sensitive = more precise!" and played on some ridiculous 3cm/360 settings for a bit.

You want to set your sensitivity to the minimum point where you can comfortably track someone jumping/around your head. The lower your sensitivity is the easier time you'll have hitting precise shots, but you don't want to have it so low that you can't keep up with people in close range.

Playing reinhardt
Win a defense match, get 3 golds and POTG

Bastion complains ALL GAME because I'm not afking in front of his little corner all match.

I swear reinhardt gets more team criticism than any other hero. Next time a bastion complains to me when I'm tanking I'll switch to Mei and wall them off. "This will protect you from the big bad hanzo you tool"

Playing reinhardt
Win a defense match, get 3 golds and POTG

Bastion complains ALL GAME because I'm not afking in front of his little corner all match.

I swear reinhardt gets more team criticism than any other hero. Next time a bastion complains to me when I'm tanking I'll switch to Mei and wall them off. "This will protect you from the big bad hanzo you tool"

or drop shield when they get near yall. dash away. lol

Is it at ALL possible to get PotG with Symmetra? Or at least get likes recognition at results screen? 40-60% shield time up, 47% teleporter time up, 17-25 kills.....and no one gives a like at results cause they hate her.

Feels bad man.....

I hope they never do a 1 hero limit. Double of the same hero is genuinely a good idea at times.
If by good idea you mean it's incredibly effective, yes. No one is arguing stacking doesn't win games. The contention is whether it is fun, fair and balanced.

Is it at ALL possible to get PotG with Symmetra? Or at least get likes recognition at results screen? 40-60% shield time up, 47% teleporter time up, 17-25 kills.....and no one gives a like at results cause they hate her.

Feels bad man.....
Don't get discouraged! I've only had about half a dozen Sym POTGs (here's one), but you'll appreciate them when they happened even more. It certainly helps if you aggressively go ham with a charged photon beam through several characters.

Now Zenyatta... that's a character I've never seen a POTG of while playing.

Feels bad man.....

The vast majority of my PotGs are as Symmetra, actually. Most of them usually come from hitting the enemy from a flank and getting triple-quadruple kills after my team has brought their health down. The real key with her is to completely forget that she's categorized as "Support" and play her like a flanking Offense character. And get really good at jumping around like a lunatic while keeping pointed in the general direction of the enemy. You'd be surprised how many enemies completely lose the ability to aim when somebody is right up in their face and jumping over their heads.

Actually took out a few Roadhogs as Symmetra tonight. Feels pretty damn good to have them hit their heal while keeping my beam trained on them, and STILL managing to out-maneuver and burn them to a crisp.

The vast majority of my PotGs are as Symmetra, actually. Most of them usually come from hitting the enemy from a flank and getting triple-quadruple kills after my team has brought their health down. The real key with her is to completely forget that she's categorized as "Support" and play her like a flanking Offense character. And get really good at jumping around like a lunatic while keeping pointed in the general direction of the enemy. You'd be surprised how many enemies completely lose the ability to aim when somebody is right up in their face and jumping over their heads.

Actually took out a few Roadhogs as Symmetra tonight. Feels pretty damn good to have them hit their heal while keeping my beam trained on them, and STILL managing to out-maneuver and burn them to a crisp.
Truth. A Gaffer posted this Sym clip that really highlights how dangerous she is with a charged gun, sentries and while jumping around like she's possessed. Easily one of my favorite Symmetra POTGs just for how much he worked for those kills.

The real key with her is to completely forget that she's categorized as "Support" and play her like a flanking Offense character. And get really good at jumping around like a lunatic while keeping pointed in the general direction of the enemy. You'd be surprised how many enemies completely lose the ability to aim when somebody is right up in their face and jumping over their heads.

I was about to mention this. It's really fascinating how people panic when you do that. And if you do this while hanging out near a bunch of your turrets, forget it. I've often taken out four or five people doing this.

Zocano

Easily one of my favorite Symmetra POTGs just for how much he worked for those kills.

I mean...

It's a cool clip but "how much he worked for those kills" is over exaggerating it to an extreme degree. Getting kills with Symmetra is pretty easy when the enemy team runs in like a train like that. And her gun hardly requires aiming.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I cry anytime I shot a rocket as Pharah in close range, I see it go through the enemy, I die, watch the skill screen and it never actually happens on their screen. I've gotten killed that way more times than I can count.

I love when I see a teammate pick Reinhardt because I feel like it opens things up for a nice double tank composition. Perfect time to pick Winston and then I pick Winston and the Reinhardt switches because some seem to think having 2 in the tank class is a bad idea. Ugh. Then I switch back to Roadhog because a single Winston isn't great for leading pushes and I am terrible with Reinhardt.

I cry anytime I shot a rocket as Pharah in close range, I see it go through the enemy, I die, watch the skill screen and it never actually happens on their screen. I've gotten killed that way more times than I can count.
This happens to me all the time as Reinhardt. I throw up my shield to block and get shot dead, replay shows me never putting up my shield. This is my biggest complaint about the game.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ah, the time has finally come. Took a little under 2 weeks but I've stockpiled 50 loot crates. Time for the opening.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I love when I see a teammate pick Reinhardt because I feel like it opens things up for a nice double tank composition. Perfect time to pick Winston and then I pick Winston and the Reinhardt switches because some seem to think having 2 in the tank class is a bad idea. Ugh. Then I switch back to Roadhog because a single Winston isn't great for leading pushes and I am terrible with Reinhardt.

I just tell them to go back to their first pick and explain my reasoning in chat. They usually do and things go well after. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom