• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
gkbPuBw.png

Fully expecting a string of losses now.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Doesn't matter what I do tonight, probably some of my best overall performances and still holding all the L's.

eek5

This is not good. They are the worst possible settings you could be using.

I don't say this to be harsh! Let me explain.

The 'pointer speed' option should always be at 6 in windows (the middle of the bar). That's because for some weird reason when you change it off that, it changes the sensitivity on the x and y axis to different levels. If you were to go into ms paint and draw a perfect circle on the mousepad with your eyes closed at the middle sensitivity, it'd look fine. If you were to do the same with the sensitivity pictured there, it'd look more like an oval shape so your lateral movements will have a different feel to your vertical movements.

'Enhance pointer precision' turns on something called mouse acceleration, which basically changes your sensitivity on the fly based on how quickly/forcefully you move your mouse. If you make a big motion, your sensitivity will be higher than if you make a small motion.

Neither of these things are good because FPS aim is 90% about muscle memory, and you can't develop muscle memory unless your cursor moves a consistent distance every time you move your mouse. Some gamers do use mouse acceleration, but it's done through highly controllable 3rd party software. The windows version sucks.

I'm also seeing there that you've got your sensitivity at the maximum setting, and I'm hoping you've got your ingame sensitivity/dpi turned down. When I was new to FPS games I made the mistake of thinking 'more sensitive = more precise!" and played on some ridiculous 3cm/360 settings for a bit.

You want to set your sensitivity to the minimum point where you can comfortably track someone jumping/around your head. The lower your sensitivity is the easier time you'll have hitting precise shots, but you don't want to have it so low that you can't keep up with people in close range.

Thanks buddy. I turned acceleration off and lowered my sensitivity on windows to 6 and my mouse dpi to 800. My lifetime accuracy spiked today!

I7P7kgY.png

There will always be that level 10-15 player who always picks offense/Hanzo with disregard to team composition. Why do those players matchup with us in the first place? Is it some kind of punishment?

Edit: Just got streamrolled in two rounds with very leveled up players. The other team was full 30-90lvl players, and our team had an amazing level 13 Hanzo that never set foot in the objective. I got four gold medals/only card from our team; I am having such a shit day overall.

Edit2: He is going solo with Pharah in Nepal lol.

There will always be that level 10-15 player who always picks offense/Hanzo with disregard to team composition. Why do those players matchup with us in the first place? Is it some kind of punishment?

Edit: Just got streamrolled in two rounds with very leveled up players. The other team was full 30-90lvl players, and our team had an amazing level 13 Hanzo that never set foot in the objective. I got four gold medals/only card from our team; I am having such a shit day overall.

Edit2: He is going solo with Pharah in Nepal lol.

let him have fun and learn the game.

Ever since bumping down my in game sensitivity/DPI, my accuracy has shot up quite a bit too. (I think it's like 27.5% now). So I'm right there with you eek.

Also, grouping up with real life acquaintances has led me to appreciate how good/coordinated we've become PC Gaf. I forget that most of us have 80+ hours in by now compared to the level 30's that my irl friends are. Good thing I'm not concerned with my quickplay winrate.

Edit: we destroyed a 5 torb set up today pretty easily on PC. It's completely doable, you just need the right comp.

let him have fun and learn the game.

Why are they matching him up with us? Besides, our team was level 26, 45 and something like that, and that lvl13 Hanzo. Our enemy team was all 70, 80 and 30, 50. We had a back and forth match that we could have won, but that guy was obviously dragging us down; he was the only guy going solo and the first one to die as Pharah twice.

The other team has an insane Junkrat and an annoying Mei though. I stuck around because those were high level players and they made me work/think a lot more.

Yeah level 13 is what, 2 hours in?

If it's like a level 80 then maybe I'd be a little bit more concerned.

I came across those infamous level 80+ players who don't like objectives LOL.

I really don't get the matchmaking behind this game. It is obviously not random, but it isn't working properly if it matches me up with three good players, and two new players who are trying to get the hang of it. It feels like there is a good day, and then punishment camp with some low level players. I added some people from the GAF list on EU; looking forward to play with them tomorrow. I will leave solo que for practice only after I get familiar with some groups.

I'm sure this has been said several times over in this thread but...

Why do people just set up turrets or camp just far off enough to get kills but never close enough to actually wrestle away the point? I'm not great at overwatch I admit but at least I try to take the objective. We just lost 0-100 in 2 straights rounds because nobody on my team had any interest in, you know, trying to achieve the objective. Instead they just sort of stood around in the background trying to tally up kills while the point was never even contested. I'm running around as the only healer looking for people to heal and not one of them even stepped foot in the red square. Kill tallies don't matter in Overwatch. So damn aggravating.

LiK

LOL, got knocked off the map and kept falling into the void for a while. Was interesting to see the actual box that held the map. Saved the clip.

I'm sure this has been said several times over in this thread but...

Why do people just set up turrets or camp just far off enough to get kills but never close enough to actually wrestle away the point? I'm not great at overwatch I admit but at least I try to take the objective. We just lost 0-100 in 2 straights rounds because nobody on my team had any interest in, you know, trying to achieve the objective. Instead they just sort of stood around in the background trying to tally up kills while the point was never even contested. I'm running around as the only healer looking for people to heal and not one of them even stepped foot in the red square. Kill tallies don't matter in Overwatch. So damn aggravating.

I felt the same way at first, but you also have to look at it like this- if the entire enemy team is on the point, just running in would be suicide. If you weaken them first/built up your ult, you guys will have a much better chance of taking the point. You stand a much better shot at taking the point if one or two of them are down vs fighting 6v6 in their turf. I used to think playing the objective was everyone on the point at all times, but that just increases the chances of a team wipe.

Antiwhippy

I don't mind it if 2 people go out flanking, but goddamnit being the only person trying to hold down point is next to impossible.

And I don't mind if people spread out around the objective but at least be near it in case shit goes down and not some corner trying to chase down a tracer.

Why are they matching him up with us? Besides, our team was level 26, 45 and something like that, and that lvl13 Hanzo. Our enemy team was all 70, 80 and 30, 50. We had a back and forth match that we could have won, but that guy was obviously dragging us down; he was the only guy going solo and the first one to die as Pharah twice.

The other team has an insane Junkrat and an annoying Mei though. I stuck around because those were high level players and they made me work/think a lot more.

I came across those infamous level 80+ players who don't like objectives LOL.

I really don't get the matchmaking behind this game. It is obviously not random, but it isn't working properly if it matches me up with three good players, and two new players who are trying to get the hang of it. It feels like there is a good day, and then punishment camp with some low level players. I added some people from the GAF list on EU; looking forward to play with them tomorrow. I will leave solo que for practice only after I get familiar with some groups.

he's probably part of a group. the levels tonight been all kinds of weird for me as well.

I felt the same way at first, but you also have to look at it like this- if the entire enemy team is on the point, just running in would be suicide. If you weaken them first/built up your ult, you guys will have a much better chance of taking the point. You stand a much better shot at taking the point if one or two of them are down vs fighting 6v6 in their turf. I used to think playing the objective was everyone on the point at all times, but that just increases the chances of a team wipe.

I get it and totally respect your game. It's why I switched to Mercy so I could buff tanks to try and make a path of least resistance for the torrents. But even the tanks just messed around with no undertanding their role on the team. It was all just about gender kills.

mbpm1

I get it and totally respect your game. It's why I switched to Mercy so I could buff tanks to try and make a path of least resistance for the torrents. But even the tanks just messed around with no undertanding their role on the team. It was all just about gender kills.

Gender kills?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I will never tire of that Mensrights Reaper. Now if only the stars would align so he could get that Skeletor re-skin.

tfw when mechless dva is stronger and capable to kill. the other team just wasn't prepared to defend anubis because we just won the match in less than a minute lol

MUnited83

For you.
This is me when people use D.Va to shoot people at long range.

Facepalm-Meme-08.png

Unless they are actually trying to kill them, I don't see what is supposed to be the issue. Taking a few potshots at snipers or at people enganged in combat with your team can be really helpful.

Maximo

Man destroying as Zarya most played tank, wish she had a better skin I got almost 1500 sitting there waiting for better skins to come out.

Man destroying as Zarya most played tank, wish she had a better skin I got almost 1500 sitting there waiting for better skins to come out.

Hopefully they come out with a gym outfit or some kind of lifting attire since she was supposed to be a bodybuilder or something. I already bought the deadlift highlight intro. Need to show off these gains

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We need Bear Zarya, in the vein of Okami Hanzo, where she's wearing a bearskin cloak she personally wrestled into submission and skinned herself.

Arctic verison and Grizzly version

It should turn her alt-fire into exploding bears!!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's unfair Okami gets unique particles and lines for his fucking ult! I couldn't think of any other way to integrate bears into her kit.

This is not good. They are the worst possible settings you could be using.

I don't say this to be harsh! Let me explain.

The 'pointer speed' option should always be at 6 in windows (the middle of the bar). That's because for some weird reason when you change it off that, it changes the sensitivity on the x and y axis to different levels. If you were to go into ms paint and draw a perfect circle on the mousepad with your eyes closed at the middle sensitivity, it'd look fine. If you were to do the same with the sensitivity pictured there, it'd look more like an oval shape so your lateral movements will have a different feel to your vertical movements.

'Enhance pointer precision' turns on something called mouse acceleration, which basically changes your sensitivity on the fly based on how quickly/forcefully you move your mouse. If you make a big motion, your sensitivity will be higher than if you make a small motion.

Neither of these things are good because FPS aim is 90% about muscle memory, and you can't develop muscle memory unless your cursor moves a consistent distance every time you move your mouse. Some gamers do use mouse acceleration, but it's done through highly controllable 3rd party software. The windows version sucks.

I'm also seeing there that you've got your sensitivity at the maximum setting, and I'm hoping you've got your ingame sensitivity/dpi turned down. When I was new to FPS games I made the mistake of thinking 'more sensitive = more precise!" and played on some ridiculous 3cm/360 settings for a bit.

You want to set your sensitivity to the minimum point where you can comfortably track someone jumping/around your head. The lower your sensitivity is the easier time you'll have hitting precise shots, but you don't want to have it so low that you can't keep up with people in close range.

Hey, I switched my settings around based on this, and I feel like it's helped me a lot. Thank you!

Question though: Now my mouse feels slow in navigating other things. Anything I can do?

Antiwhippy

Hey, I switched my settings around based on this, and I feel like it's helped me a lot. Thank you!

Question though: Now my mouse feels slow in navigating other things. Anything I can do?

Some mice allows you to switch pre-configured DPI setting with a button?

kromeo

tfw when mechless dva is stronger and capable to kill. the other team just wasn't prepared to defend anubis because we just won the match in less than a minute lol

She's like an annoying insect when she's out of the mech. People seem to either ignore you and go after the big targets or waste time taking potshots while you weave in and out of cover

Firestorm

Ok I was in groups of 4 and 5 all night and got annoying dickwads as the randoms in 3 games ._.

Though it is so very satisfying to get someone who mouths off to you or a teammate, shoot them down because they did shittier than you, then see them on the other team next round and destroy them.

She's like an annoying insect when she's out of the mech. People seem to either ignore you and go after the big targets or waste time taking potshots while you weave in and out of cover

yeah her speed on foot is pretty fast and that's without her gun chipping away at them. somehow easy to land headshots with her.

DeSo

Banned
Can PotG ever be more than just killstreaks? I mean I doubt the Overwatch AI can detect much else. Really wish it could though. I just clutch rezzed a Reinhardt that basically won us the game but that would never be picked up as PotG which kind of sucks. Oh I guess it also picks up when you rez like three teammates too but that's not necessarily the PotG.

NHL94

Banned
I usually dive into a solo ulting Genji or Roadhog or whatever and keep them on the brink of life as they kill everyone. Your name appears in their potg too. However, my play style is more a of risky pocket mercy then a safe backline mercy.

Not when its just you two and they see you coming straight on lol. I am the same kind of Mercy though, I am hella offensive, I would bet I have one of the highest kill average out of the entire population.

Can PotG ever be more than just killstreaks? I mean I doubt the Overwatch AI can detect much else. Really wish it could though. I just clutch rezzed a Reinhardt that basically won us the game but that would never be picked up as PotG which kind of sucks. Oh I guess it also picks up when you rez like three teammates too but that's not necessarily the PotG.
They have life-saver and shutdowns

kromeo

Seeing a reaper go flying down a hole as he uses die die die has to be the most satisfying sight in the game, should be automatic potg

Antiwhippy

Yep, feeling that forced 50.

Haha nah it hasn't been too bad. I really dislike people who leave when the match begins though. Why not just leave at character select.

Blocked off two full reaper ults as Mei on Nepal Koth today, one when 5 members of my team were trapped in a Zarya Ult. There should REALLY be a Lifesaver PotG for that.

Apt101

I'm ready for competitive mode. One too many games where the entire team is a block away from the damned platform, all trying to kill a couple of flankers, while the rest of the opposing team is serially murdering me at the platform.

I did hilariously knock three enemies and myself off the map with a Reinhardt charge this afternoon, but that didn't make up for a day's worth of terrible, terrible play.

The worst is when halfway through a match I realize I am the only person who has spent any time on objective and/or killed the sentries and teleporter. I take a moment to watch the rest of the team and realize they've all been merely trying to get kills in random locations around the map. It makes me want to quit, but then there's that accursed quitters penalty so I have to just pout like a child for several more minutes.

The worst is when halfway through a match I realize I am the only person who has spent any time on objective and/or killed the sentries and teleporter. I take a moment to watch the rest of the team and realize they've all been merely trying to get kills in random locations around the map. It makes me want to quit, but then there's that accursed quitters penalty so I have to just pout like a child for several more minutes.

What is the penalty for quitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom