• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Zarya viably offensive if she's primarily using secondary fire rather than primary fire?

I play Junkrat a lot (as well as a few other charas) and trying to expand my horizons a bit, but I don't really like Zarya's needle beam. From my TF2 experience, it was nice that Heavy's weapon had a bit of spread to it so I could get groups better, but with Zarya only her secondary fire has spread of any kind.

Is Zarya viably offensive if she's primarily using secondary fire rather than primary fire?

I play Junkrat a lot (as well as a few other charas) and trying to expand my horizons a bit, but I don't really like Zarya's needle beam. From my TF2 experience, it was nice that Heavy's weapon had a bit of spread to it so I could get groups better, but with Zarya only her secondary fire has spread of any kind.

At high energy the dps of your primary fire is too good to ignore although you could mostly use secondary if you wanted to.

Firebrand

Losing streak tonight, sigh. As usual nobody wanted to pick healer so I thought I'd try some Mercy, but I hate having to rely on teammates to survive. >_> Tracers and Genjis gobbling me up. I feel more survivable as Zenyatta.

Blizzard

Banned
Twice now I've fought a team that went all D.Va. Which is devastating for the first couple of waves, until people start switching to Soldier and Pharah and Junkrat, and then it's just a bloodbath. Such big juicy targets.

I will say that four or five self-destructs in a row can be hard to deal with if you aren't right next to cover:)
100 Direct Hit Pharah Rockets, coming up
Maybe this was just the players being awful, but I thought D Va was the best thing to counter an all-Pharah team. It requires careful timing of shields to keep blocking missiles and keep the Pharahs from taking the objective. Or at least, 3 D Va + 2 others helped us counter it. I don't know what else you would stack -- Widowmakers will get blown away by multiple Pharahs focusing them.

Dragner

Playing mercy just opens your eyes on how dumb people can be while playing a supposed team based game. Mercy and Reindhart are the eyes openers.

At least you can play yolo reindhart. But with mercy you are fucked.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Played a match on Lijiang tower where I was Lucio, my friend was playing Mercy. Spent 96% of the match on fire, boopin' fools, throwing heals out, getting objective time...

Then when we lost in a close fashion on round 3, our Winston (who repeatedly complained about having 2 healers...? our comp was 2-2-2) said I was a troll Lucio and should have swapped to another character. Wut.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Oh, I forgot to ask the earlier, but the other day I was looking at the Social page on OW under the area for recent players and noticed when I right click on a name there are options for "Preferrred" and "Avoid" (or something along those lines anyway). Are these used to impact match making? ie. Avoiding dummies that I've played with before and preferring folks I got on well with?

Blizzard

Banned
Oh, I forgot to ask the earlier, but the other day I was looking at the Social page on OW under the area for recent players and noticed when I right click on a name there are options for "Preferrred" and "Avoid" (or something along those lines anyway). Are these used to impact match making? ie. Avoiding dummies that I've played with before and preferring folks I got on well with?
They used to, but too many people were using Avoid for skilled players, so Blizzard disabled it. They will be removing it.

I was using Avoid for all the people typing slurs and stuff in chat, so I'm a little sad, but I guess Blizzard wants to keep queue times low.

Played a match on Lijiang tower where I was Lucio, my friend was playing Mercy. Spent 96% of the match on fire, boopin' fools, throwing heals out, getting objective time...

Then when we lost in a close fashion on round 3, our Winston (who repeatedly complained about having 2 healers...? our comp was 2-2-2) said I was a troll Lucio and should have swapped to another character. Wut.
Ouch, I'm trying to learn to consider losses "easy medal matches" since the stress isn't worth it, sadly.

Rize_21

If the characters in Overwatch aren't all heroes, how are the team match ups justified in the deep story canon? Why would Tracer and Winston be fighting alongside Reaper and Widowmaker? Do questions like this keep you up at night?

Just a theory, but I'm 100% with it, from the official forum ( SeelenGeier's post), I don't know if some people don't want to be 'spoiled' about OW or what but
the whole Athena's simulation works
for me, entertaining to read.

Dragner

It's been out for over a month and there are still many people that think kills are what the game revolves around.

Ive won so many times where enemy team farmed us hard, got potg all cards for them...but we did a good final push and took the game while they were playing call of duty around the area.

Playing mercy just opens your eyes on how dumb people can be while playing a supposed team based game. Mercy and Reindhart are the eyes openers.

At least you can play yolo reindhart. But with mercy you are fucked.

So true.

Many time I charge in as a reinhardt and get 3 kills, paving a way through and dying in the process. I respawn and see 4 teammates died to the remaining 3 players on the other team even after i softened them up...OR...i see the whole team completely just shooting through a doorway or passage trying to kill the last 3 teammates instead of trying to push through.

Even worse with Mercy, many times I hear need heals but I'm already dead because I'm trying to heal everyone but they're streaming in solo

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Ouch, I'm trying to learn to consider losses "easy medal matches" since the stress isn't worth it, sadly.

Heh nah, it was mostly funny to us. We had a pretty good run of games today, that just stood out - people really will complain about anything though. He really didn't want Lucio on KOTH? Ok.

Phii

Banned
So true.

Many time I charge in as a reinhardt and get 3 kills, paving a way through and dying in the process. I respawn and see 4 teammates died to the remaining 3 players on the other team even after i softened them up...OR...i see the whole team completely just shooting through a doorway or passage trying to kill the last 3 teammates instead of trying to push through.

Even worse with Mercy, many times I hear need heals but I'm already dead because I'm trying to heal everyone but they're streaming in solo

At these situations I switch to Symmetra or Lucio.

one of the last matches I played this afternoon had a soldier and a roadhog who could somehow track you smoothly while being hooked or blasted back like they knew where I was going to end up, I know killcams are not 100% but it looked really unnatural seeing a soldier reload while perfectly tracking my body as I was hooked past him, then for the soldier to land 3 perfect headshots for the finisher.

All my team were talking about it in a rather casual way, no insults or anything which is something you hardly see in games now days, after that we won the final two rounds but only just,

It was very weird.

I gotta say so far based on the PTR Competitive play is awesome. People working together more and the modes are much better now. If you can only get one checkpoint on O but if you stop the other team from getting there you win. No map switching mid-match. That's how the game should be be default. It's much more fair this way.

Managed to wipe out all six heroes in the enemy team with one Death Blossom. Four of them were at full health. Feels good man. Better believe we won that round of Nepal.

Repo Man

Had some decent games tonight on EU PC, either a fluke or maybe people are finally starting to get the hang of this game...but... yeah theres always a "but". I love playing with my GF, shes not the best player yet she does alright in fps games and in Overwatch she likes to play Pharah, S76, Hanzo and Widowmaker with the occasional dabble to Mercy / Reinhardt if the team is really desperate. When shes playing Hanzo or Widowmaker she won't however contest the point on overtime to try and buy the rest of the team that extra few seconds to get in there which is at times infuriating as hell.

Tonight I again found myself raising my voice at her, telling her "get on the point! get on the point! get on the point!!!" and she shouts back at me saying "whats the fucking point ? they'll just take me out!?". Yea true but she doesn't appear to understand the importance of the few seconds she could be buying the team. At this point I hammered the desk with my fist and said "I've been playing these sort of games for almost 15 years! ( Battlefields, TF2, CoD's etc. ) so stop questioning my logic! I know my shit I know what I'm talking about!".. Am I taking the game too seriously or is she just being a noob ? :p

Needless to say, some silent treatment followed but if theres a better player in the end of it somewhere, I consider it a job well done.

when other team is on the brink of losing defense on route 66 they go get a second bastion to hold us off. not even mad they had to do what they got to do.

Mr. X

Had some decent games tonight on EU PC, either a fluke or maybe people are finally starting to get the hang of this game...but... yeah theres always a "but". I love playing with my GF, shes not the best player yet she does alright in fps games and in Overwatch she likes to play Pharah, S76, Hanzo and Widowmaker with the occasional dabble to Mercy / Reinhardt if the team is really desperate. When shes playing Hanzo or Widowmaker she won't however contest the point on overtime to try and buy the rest of the team that extra few seconds to get in there which is at times infuriating as hell.

Tonight I again found myself raising my voice at her, telling her "get on the point! get on the point! get on the point!!!" and she shouts back at me saying "whats the fucking point ? they'll just take me out!?". Yea true but she doesn't appear to understand the importance of the few seconds she could be buying the team. At this point I hammered the desk with my fist and said "I've been playing these sort of games for almost 15 years! ( Battlefields, TF2, CoD's etc. ) so stop questioning my logic! I know my shit I know what I'm talking about!".. Am I taking the game too seriously or is she just being a noob ? :p

Needless to say, some silent treatment followed but if theres a better player in the end of it somewhere, I consider it a job well done.
You can not get angry and just say try to buy time and keep overtime going so we can get back, winning is more more important than your k/d

peakish

What about explaining the importance instead of hammering on objects and shouting in rage.

Satch

Banned

Yes, I carry most of my games by playing her this way

Repo Man

What about explaining the importance instead of hammering on objects and shouting in rage.

My apologies, I should have been more clear in that I have on multiple occasions explained to her in a perfectly calm fashion the importance of contesting the point on overtime, yet she remains stubborn. I believe it may boil down to the age old battle of chromosomes in the end... Or to put it simply, our releationship is perfectly fine and steady but this game makes us both competitive as hell :p

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I feel like a dummy. Only just found out about "Toggle Beam Connection" and "Guardian Angel Prefers Beam Target" in the custom controls for Mercy. Such a big quality of life improvement toggling those!

mbpm1

I feel like a dummy. Only just found out about "Toggle Beam Connection" and "Guardian Angel Prefers Beam Target" in the custom controls for Mercy. Such a big quality of life improvement toggling those!

I don't think they tell us that so it's not dumb

duckroll

Overtime in Overwatch isn't quite like other shooters I've played. I don't think it is unreasonable or stupid to not want to instinctively jump into the point just to die if you're playing a back row sniper character. Yes, it might be tactically advantageous if you're the only one close enough to contest the point and extend Overtime until the rest of the team can get back there after respawning, but it's also something that feels more natural to people playing a tank character or an attacker with high mobility.

Repo Man

I think they should both be on/off by default, made my Mercy games a lot more enjoyble and successful.

Nimby

Banned
Tonight I again found myself raising my voice at her, telling her "get on the point! get on the point! get on the point!!!" and she shouts back at me saying "whats the fucking point ? they'll just take me out!?".

Yeah, I wouldn't shout at her. It doesn't get your point across any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom