• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

Nothing like being in the middle of a firefight with someone, seeing them going for a healthpack when they're low on health, and then beating them there and taking the heathpack right in front of their face

And then finishing them off

Am I alone in thinking that the best way to nerf Torb would be to increase his cooldown time and/or decrease the gain on his ultimate? He would be a lot easier to handle if he couldn't MOLTEN CORE his way out of low turret health all the time.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The turrets having snap aim is part of what makes them actually viable and not completely worthless on both PC and Console.

Torb has a, what, 60% WR on PC, but he's nearly a complete joke until you get back up into high skill where he is basically used for his armor and ulti.
I wonder if console OW will just end up getting the console TF2 treatment of being a complete stepchild when it comes to updates and patches.
Blame the console patch pricing and certification costs and time.
The systems in place for consoles prevent quick and free updates by design.

Ramirez

Blame the console patch pricing and certification costs and time.
The systems in place for consoles prevent quick and free updates by design.

Sony and MS no longer charge for patches from everything I've read on the matter. MS stopped doing it back on the 360 apparently.

Am I alone in thinking that the best way to nerf Torb would be to increase his cooldown time and/or decrease the gain on his ultimate? He would be a lot easier to handle if he couldn't MOLTEN CORE his way out of low turret health all the time.

I would have nerfed the ult gain, as it was super quick and reliable and I might have put a larger cooldown on the turret time as well. Either of those would have sufficed.

The damage dropoff is so large though as to now render him almost completely useless.

Well, here's to hoping that they delete Symmetra and Mei as well too.

ViviOggi

Damn straight up -30% damage is huge, console meta must be real bad.

And yeah these cert times are indefensible in 2016 where every publisher and their mom is chasing that games as a service model. What if this nerf still isn't enough, or instantly deletes Torb? "We are aware of the glaring balance issues, see you in a month"?

The Torb nerf is yet another example of how stacking shanks balancing in this game. Individual Torbjorns weren't the problem, yet they'll be impacted the most.

The Torb nerf is yet another example of how stacking shanks balancing in this game. Individual Torbjorns weren't the problem, yet they'll be impacted the most.
I enjoy the occasional goofing around with hero stacking, but yeah, it seems like disallowing stacking would have easily fixed the issue.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

And yeah these cert times are indefensible in 2016 where every publisher and their mom is chasing that games as a service model. What if this nerf still isn't enough, or instantly deletes Torb? "We are aware of the glaring balance issues, see you in a month"?

You actually expect people to balance games in like a day? Balance changes are things that actually have to be tested.

ViviOggi

You actually expect people to balance games in like a day? Balance changes are things that actually have to be tested.
???

That's literally my point, there's no testing a patch once it's stuck in cert - and unless the changes are 100% on point on the first try players are stuck with it until another patch has gone through cert

Squire

Banned
I enjoy the occasional goofing around with hero stacking, but yeah, it seems like disallowing stacking would have easily fixed the issue.

That's what I've been telling people, but the accuracy issue hadn't occurred to me either.

If the turrets break the skill ceiling, they break it. In that sense, I see Torb's damage nerf as less an actual nerf and more Blizz plugging a hole they should've accounted for pre-launch.

Antiwhippy

???

That's literally my point, there's no testing a patch once it's stuck in cert - and unless the changes are 100% on point on the first try players are stuck with it until another patch has gone through cert

Oh i must have misread. Though is the wait time more due to internal play testing than cert time?

Seems like a big nerf on Torb. Im with people that stacking is the bigger problem they needed on him. One Torb turret is not hard for any decent player to handle. Seems like an overreaction from Blizzard.

Gator86

The cert and patch delays on console are fucking trash.

That big a nerf is probably going to obliterate Torb usage. Torb felt like the only way to drag random teams to victory sometimes. He definitely needed some tweaks, but I cringe at how badly Tracer is going to savage the team of incompetents matchmaking sticks me with without a turret to suppress her. I've literally had entire teams spawn camped by single Tracer until I build a turret to protect them from her.

Squire

Banned
Seems like a big nerf on Torb. Im with people that stacking is the bigger problem they needed on him. One Torb turret is not hard for any decent player to handle. Seems like an overreaction from Blizzard.

Nah, Kaplan's logic is fine. If people actually have an argument for why it's not, that would be great to hear. If they had applied the damage change across the board (as in, on PC as well) I could see it, but as it stands? Not too much of an overreaction.

LAM09

Happy to hear about the Torb nerf, but slightly surprised by what's being nerfed. The lock on distance is something that seems to be a prominent issue on all platforms.

It should make him more bearable on consoles, though.

That's what I've been telling people, but the accuracy issue hadn't occurred to me either.

If the turrets break the skill ceiling, they break it. In that sense, I see Torb's damage nerf as less an actual nerf and more Blizz plugging a hole they should've accounted for pre-launch.
I don't think it really plugs the hole in an effective way. It just kills the character.

There were other options like adjusting the turn radius, lock-on, placement cooldown, ultimate gain, etc. This is just the easy, "band-aid" option.

Torb nerf strikes me as a hammer vs. egg scenario. Way way way too much force. Woulda been better to put a cooldown on target switching, drop Molten Core's effectiveness, and increase damage falloff. 30% damage decrease is just overkill. Dude's gonna be totally unplayed.

Also: agreed with the hero stacking comments. Would never have been a problem if they'd just disable or limit it.

terrible

Banned
As a PC player the Torb nerf is pretty confusing. I've never seen a situation where he appeared anywhere near OP and I've seen plenty of Torb stacks and players that know what they are doing. They should just balance the game differently for PC and console at this point.

TheYanger

Sony and MS no longer charge for patches from everything I've read on the matter. MS stopped doing it back on the 360 apparently.

Either way cert is cert. on pc they literally push it live on a whim, and if it beraks they just undo it. they can't do that on consoles.

mbpm1

As a PC player the Torb nerf is pretty confusing. I've never seen a situation where he appeared anywhere near OP and I've seen plenty of Torb stacks and players that know what they are doing. They should just balance the game differently for PC and console at this point.

It's only for console

That's what's happening. He's being changed on X1/PS4 and unchanged on PC.

Gorillaz

Or it could be a problem with Torb himself. Whatever is done to him will be something that will affect the character greatly in terms of usage but at the same time it looks like they didn't put alot of thought into Torb to begin with

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Or it could be a problem with Torb himself. Whatever is done to him will be something that will affect the character greatly in terms of usage but at the same time it looks like they didn't put alot of thought into Torb to begin with

Or in hero stacking because even on consoles the complaints are usually multiple torbs, not one

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What would you guys say counters Zarya? Went against a team with two of them and really couldn't do fuck all with all the shields that were going around.

TheYanger

What would you guys say counters Zarya? Went against a team with two of them and really couldn't do fuck all with all the shields that were going around.

Just burn her down. She's squishy for a tank, the self shield doesn't absorb a lot of damage and if you try to just play around it and keep peeling off she's never going to die.

Gorillaz

Or in hero stacking because even on consoles the complaints are usually multiple torbs, not one
multiples of more then 2 of any hero is annoying but let's not act like molten coring your way out of a problem isn't on the list either

bastion or a junkrat can mow her down fast Zarya comes down to the type of person using her because alot of these people have pretty terrible tunnel vision

Burst damage and careful play. Wait 'til you see the shield go down and then lay into her with all you've got. She's "only" got 400 health, and no armor, so she goes down pretty quick. Widow, Bastion, Hanzo, S76, and Reaper are all good candidates. Junkrat's okay, but his slow rate of fire and relative imprecision means she's got above average odds of escaping.

Antiwhippy

200 of those recharge though, so you better not let her escape to bubble again. In that regard she's really survivable.

abundant

Yeah, that would absolutely decimate torb on the PC. As it is, better players can make it hell to get and keep a turret up. There are plenty of angles to hit one without being hit.
This nerf decimates Torb on consoles as well. A single Torb has never been the problem, hero stacking is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom