• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 47, 2015

foxbeldin

Now i'm just wondering if SE is smart enough to have a release clause enabling them to get it out faster than a year after on PS4 due to poor x1 sales.

Yeah... probably not.

jackdoe

I'd assume Tomb Raider would take precedence over KH2.8 at least. They can still market more than 1 game per year especially if their releases are scattered throughout the fall.

I mean Deus Ex launches in august and if Square were serious about it they could effectively handle Tomb Raider PS4 as their latest release of note. It'd depend on how confident they are in the title
We'd have to wait until March for Square Enix to commit to a FFXV release date. After which, we'll know if they're going to let RoTR die Holiday 2016. But even then, titles as large as CoD Black Ops III and Battlefront still utilize exclusive marketing agreements to market their titles. There's no way Sony will ever commit to that kind of arrangement for a late port that arrived first on a competitor's console (if it was timed PC exclusive, then it'd be a different story). S-E isn't going to be nearly as effective marketing the title alone and without any sort of stage presence at the conferences leading up to its release it's going to be largely forgotten by the press.

Now i'm just wondering if SE is smart enough to have a release clause enabling them to get it out faster than a year after on PS4 due to poor x1 sales.

Yeah... probably not.
That would mean MS is stupid enough to leave a clause like that in their contract, which I doubt.

i'm gonna add a caveat to that and say it partly depends if the game bombs next year, which I think it will.
I think it will too

But tomb raider will launch November(?) and psx will probably be December, that would be a bit odd for it to be on sale for a couple of weeks then give it away lol

I think it will too

But tomb raider will launch November(?) and psx will probably be December, that would be a bit odd for it to be on sale for a couple of weeks then give it away lol

This is my hypothesis, I expect it will get an mid/late Oct launch, as SE will either have a little wiggle room in the contract, pay back some of the money to release it earlier or MS doesn't want to be associated with killing off not only 1 of gamings biggest IPs but most prominent woman in the process, they wouldn't live that down.
Internet comments and the media would have a field day with that and it would have some major legs too I expect, MS can't afford any more bad PR this gen.
Then when it does release the game bombs anyway, and in order to 'save' the IP it gets a PSX 2-3 day free PSN download period, to get people taking about it/playing it in the hopes it will get people interested in TR 3, the game would still be at retail too.

make of this what you will.

Kyougar

how is a 37% drop not good? Battlefront releasing that week only makes it better too.

Yeah the sales weren't mindblowing to begin with but a 37% drop is good regardless. If you look at The Order which sold similar in its launch week dropped by 56% in its second week. Even 56% was a good hold for TO, 37% is very good.

If you sell so few Copies, the Bundles (which in the UK get included to sales numbers) are making a huge different. If those TR Bundles took several thousand copies, than the drop without bundles could be in the 50 to 70% range.

jackdoe

This is my hypothesis, I expect it will get an mid/late Oct launch, as SE will either have a little wiggle room in the contract, pay back some of the money to release it earlier or MS doesn't want to be associated with killing off not only 1 of gamings biggest IPs but most prominent woman in the process, they wouldn't live that down.
Internet comments and the media would have a field day with that and it would have some major legs too I expect, MS can't afford any more bad PR this gen.
Then when it does release the game bombs anyway, and in order to 'save' the IP it gets a PSX 2-3 day free PSN download period, to get people taking about it/playing it in the hopes it will get people interested in TR 3, the game would still be at retail too.

That's insane. They're more likely to give away TR DE to try to promote the game and celebrate the 20th anniversary of the franchise. Hell, I could see them including TR DE for free with RoTR PS4 in a failed attempt to try to give it added value over the heavily discounted Xbox One version. Maybe they'll chuck in TR Anniversary as well if PS2 emulation is far enough along.

Asd202

Halo 5 under the 360 version of Black Ops III... i mean, wow.
We know Black Ops III is at 136,500 this week, and in it's first week the 360 was around 5% of total sales...
Usually the current gen drop is bigger than PS3 / 360, but even if we say this week the 360 version is 10% of total sales ( which seem unlucky ) the 360 version is at 13,650 unit.
And Halo 5 is under Black Ops for 360.

damn.

Halo a US franchise confirmed.

Angel_DvA

Not surprising for Halo, worst main Halo game ever, I was hype like everyone but the game was disappointing at the end, I'm done with the franchise like I'm with AC and God of War.

Tomb Raider is a good game and deserve more sales but SE was too stupid to make it "exclusive" to X1. What's sure now is the fact that no other dev will make exclusive game for the X1 now.

Faustek

If anyone is interested of the top Nintendo 3DS/Wii U games Nintendo Nordic group* has started showing which games are the best selling on their platforms for each week. No numbers and a week behind but still interesting to see which games perform better than the others.

For week 46

For Nintendo Norway. and Nintendo Sweden just look for the banner.

i543459-x181-y181-q100-a1-r0-h112786566488855103

These are what sells best in our little Nordic neighbourhood.
Haven't really seen anything for other markets yet though. Perhaps it'll come.

*Sweden
Denmark
Norway
Finland

I think this won't happen and SE would be lame to try it. Honor their contract deal with whatever happens. This was not an unforeseen consequence.

I wouldn't call doom and gloom on Tomb Raider just yet, even if it tanked on Xbox next year they'll probably market it like a relaunch with full fanfare and still sell a decent if not great amount. The audience is there and the game is supposedly really good.

I really don't think that without the hype machine they can sell an year old singleplayer game. If RotTR will end bombing on Xbox you'll see it sold at very low prices in 2016, I'm sure a lot of enthusiasts gamers would feel uncomfortable to pay at least 2X the price of an Xbox version.
They should add more and more content to justify the price other than "you couldn't buy it earlier, so for you it's a shiny new game".
I wouldn't buy it anyway, I will more gladly put my money on new releases that I'm hyped for. Personally I think that I'll buy RotTR on PS4 in 2017 waiting for price promotions. Waiting for 12 or 16 months it doesn't make any difference for me. Hype does.
I think it's stupid being salty for temporal exclusives and don't buy games for that reason, but hype it's important and it simply will not be there for Lara.

Next holiday season I expect a PSFour (slim/lite/new model) at 299 with a great line up.
I don't think that the market will care of Tomb Raider anymore, and probably Square Enix neither.

I'm sure tomb raider will be huge on pc and ps4. It's all we talk about in these sales threads lol

Heh huge. GAF is a tiny fraction of the gaming market, and even here u have people saying they'll pass on it and you think the mainstream market will care. In the season of CoD, FIFA and who knows what else?

Using GAF as a barometer for mainstream popularity is faulty at best. We're an enthusiast forum, we discuss video game sales for christ sake. Doesn't mean the people talking about it will ever buy it, they're just interested in talking sales.

Percy

Banned
Yet I'm willing to bet that we'll be waiting for Halo 6 for an XB1 exclusive to outsell it.

Gears 4 could as well I'd have thought. But yeah, there's not exactly much else coming exclusive to Xbone that's likely to pull major numbers in the UK besides that.

That would mean MS is stupid enough to leave a clause like that in their contract, which I doubt.

Or they were desperate enough for a 'big name' exclusive maybe. I mean, there's already been talk on GAF that they couldn't get at least one other big third party exclusive (Mass Effect), so who knows what they may have agreed to to get Tomb Raider.

I mean, personally I don't think the post you quoted is right either, but I could believe MS would have been 'passionate' enough to agree to some major provisos to get what they wanted if it came down to it.

Hasney

Gears 4 could as well I'd have thought. But yeah, there's not exactly much else coming exclusive to Xbone that's likely to pull major numbers in the UK besides that.

Ahhhhh yeahhhhh. Forgot that was a thing at all! Be interesting to see what it can do after a long break.

To the public eye there is a perceived value for videogames and that drops the longer the game is out. Tomb raider will do fine on Steam with huge discounts. The last one sold for around 5-8 dollars last steam sale. It'll flop on PS4. No amount of content will justify a year late game for 60 dollars, unless it is content that adds a huge chunk of extras. Like Oblivion launching with an expansion pack. An extra level that accounts to nothing won't justify 60.

Timed exclusive has a history doing awful on PS3, excluding Minecraft.

It'll be in bargain bin prices by the time the PS4 version come out.

Thanks to MS and Squenix for making PS4 gamers stupid because maybe we won't care for ROTR a year later.

You should care tho. It's a really really great game. Don't let MS's silly marketing tactic change that. I am sure people will care because I can't think of better games. I can't see this game being a bad game in a year. It's one of the best of the year easily

Anyway back to sales. Lets hope it tracks well week on week, and MS use it as an incentive to sell consoles etc.

Battlefront has done good week one numbers. Lots of microsoft games in the charts, maybe a sign the one is selling well?

COD still doing really well. Fifa has slumped this year? I am hearing it's not that great, maybe that has affected it.

Assassins creed is the definition of a sales failure tho. Its nosedived. I wouldnt really say TOmb raider is tracking that much worse than the first game considering market share of the userbase and amount of consoles out there, assassins creed is dead tho :/

BKK

Lego Dimensions was <18,800 last week, >18,200 this week, and flat at +0%. So ~18,500 (+/- 300, or 1.6%).

Ok, here is the fixed chart assuming that Rise of the Tomb Raider sold around 42,000 units in its first week.

As always, these numbers are just approximations.

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 21 November 2015

(95%)

01 (NE) STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 325,000 / NEW
02 (02) CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 136,500 / 1,044,500 (-50%)
03 (01) FALLOUT 4 (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) - 96,400 / 578,400 (-80%)
04 (03) FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 71,700 / 1,612,800 (+14%)
05 (04) RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - 26,500 / 68,500 (-37%)
06 (08) LEGO DIMENSIONS (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE) ~18,500 (+0%)
07 (09) ASSASSIN'S CREED: SYNDICATE (UBISOFT) - 18,200 / 225,700 (+7%)
08 (05) MINECRAFT: STORY MODE (TELLTALE GAMES)
09 (11) WWE 2K16 (TAKE 2)
10 (06) NEED FOR SPEED (ELECTRONIC ARTS)

allan-bh

Call of Duty comparison - Third week

From 2010

Call of Duty: Black Ops (90%)
First week - 2,000,000
Second week (-85%) - 300,000
Third week (-42%) - 174,000
First three weeks - 2,474,000

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (90%)
First week - 1,970,000
Second week (-87%) - 256,100
Third week (-41%) - 151,040
First three weeks - 2,377,140

Call of Duty: Black Ops II (90%)
First week - 1,540,000
Second week (-81%) - 292,600
Third week (-35%) - 190,190
First three weeks - 2,022,790

Call of Duty: Ghosts (90%)
First week - 690,000
Second week (-76%) - 165,600
Third week (-16%) - 139,104 (Xbox One's launch)
First three weeks - 994,704

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (95%)
First week - 730,000
Second week (- 76%) - 175,200
Third week (-41%) - 103,368
First three weeks - 1,013,568

Call of Duty: Black Ops III (95%)
First week - 635,000
Second week (-57%) - 273,000
Third week (-50%) - 136,500
First three weeks - 1,044,500

Note 1: Ghosts sales were more spread out due to later launches of PS4 and Xbox One, this impacted first weeks' sales.
Note 2: Contrary to other Call of Duty games, BOIII was released on a Friday, not on a Tuesday.

I was expecting more for Black Ops III. The old days for Call of Duty really ended.

wotta

Tomb Raider is on 92 thousand isnt it? It's right there.

05 (04) RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) < 35,700 / < 92,400 (-37%) adding the average of around 20 percent of digital, say 15 thousand to be fair it will havebroken 100 thousand easy

*sorry no point me saying anything when I'm not allowed to share my proof*

Shin-chan

It's fine SE can sell it for a fiver in the steam summer sale and pad out the numbers like the last game. Boom. 7 million right there.

bombshell

Halo 5 under the 360 version of Black Ops III... i mean, wow.
We know Black Ops III is at 136,500 this week, and in it's first week the 360 was around 5% of total sales...
Usually the current gen drop is bigger than PS3 / 360, but even if we say this week the 360 version is 10% of total sales ( which seem unlucky ) the 360 version is at 13,650 unit.
And Halo 5 is under Black Ops for 360.

damn.

No worries, we all know digital is 90% for Halo 5.

Ray Down

Banned
Eh, we don't care, the important thing here is that TR is selling like crap.

Well

That's how low TR has fallen that you want to compare it with those titles (GOW being a remaster)

I thought TR was supposed to be SQE Uncharted and part of the greatest line-up of all time

The fact that Tomb Raider has fallen so low that we have to compare it to a bunch of new IPs and remasters kind of speaks volumes don't you think? This was, at one point, one of the biggest brands in gaming.

RibMan

Great numbers for Battlefront. Eager to see how the sales will look when Star Wars comes out. I can see a small bump (5,000-10,000 copies) during Christmas week.

Not many people seem to realize this, but the Xbox One is in big trouble in the UK. Nevermind Halo failing in the UK. I think the Tomb Raider performance is really bad news for Microsoft. Barring a miracle in North America, Tomb Raider will end up as the perfect reason for big publishers to avoid Xbox One exclusivity. When publishers look at Tomb Raider's performance, they will see a high scoring AAA title with incredible brand recognition that sold <70,000 units in its second largest market. There's just no other way to put it: when they look at Tomb Raider, they will see a huge flop. I can't imagine any publisher with business sense will enter into an exclusive agreement with Microsoft. If publishers were on the fence about 'jumping in', Tomb Raider tanking will be a good enough reason to not hop over.

The reality is the Xbox One cannot remain competitive in the UK without the extra support of large publishers. Securing the Fifa deal was a fantastic move by Microsoft, but they're going to need more than Fifa to make a comeback. Looking at 2016 and beyond, I just don't see how the Xbox One can close the gap. It really might be over for them in the UK.

Aside from The Division, Dark Souls 3, and Fifa, Microsoft haven't announced or revealed third-party deals for future games. After the disastrous performance of Tomb Raider, I just cannot see publishers like Take2 (GTA VI, possibly Red Dead Redemption 2) or CD Projekt RED (Cyberpunk 2077) aligning their future games with the Xbox One. How will Microsoft survive in the UK if major games like GTA VI, Destiny 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Infinity 4.0, Final Fantasy 15 etc. all have PlayStation deals?

Three

Bloodborne did > 41,900 < 57,300 I believe so not really that much better. It was just one platform vs two though. This has me thinking if a bunch of PS4 owners are former 360 owners how many bought the 360 version instead of waiting or not buying it at all? That would be a good statistic to know. I'm actually starting to believe that SE fully expected the low sales.

I think you are slightly overreacting Ribman.

Raist

Banned
How dose ROTR sales compare with respects to Until Dawn, Bloodborne, The Order and Gears of War?

UD and GeoW both opened at <20k. 35k < 1886 < 45k. Bloodborne around 45k.

None of these games compare to TR though. Gears as an IP perhaps, but that was just a remaster.

Top Bottom