• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL's Metroid Prime 2 Boxart

Jacobi

Banned
This is it
MetroidPrime2EchoesPALBoxart.jpg

As worse as US' imo

I'm curious, who designs these boxes? Is it an advertising place? Is it outsourced? Is it Retro themselves? Seeing the work coming out of Retro and then looking at these rather dull boxes... they just don't seem to be coming from the same guys.

Jacobi

Banned
If you think about it, it looks as the logo would cover Samus' chest. As if she would be nekked or something

Kon Tiki

Banned
Looks good.

"Samus, I am your mother! Join me and together we can rule the galaxy as mother and daughter. "

edit: that is samus? :/

Jacobi

Banned
Society said:
Looks good.

"Samus, I am your mother! Join me and together we can rule the galaxy as mother and daughter. "

edit: that is samus? :/
No. It is some dark materia shit which I forgot about. But at least there are no spoilers in this post.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Somebody really likes Photoshop's outer glow effect. |33t!

jdforge

Banned
Sorry to disagree but I think it's much better than the US boxart. It gives off a more mature theme, with Samus having a more prominet stance.

I like it.

Deg

Banned
i doubt this is offical. That is MP1 art. Looks like a fan made this. GC PAL boxes now have a triangle for the 'only for'

SantaC

tedtropy said:
Somebody really likes Photoshop's outer glow effect. |33t!

Seriously. I have been using photoshop for 7 years, and I could do alot better than this if I got any materials to work with. How does Nintendo and Retro approve these horrible boxarts?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Semjaza Azazel said:
I'm curious, who designs these boxes? Is it an advertising place? Is it outsourced? Is it Retro themselves? Seeing the work coming out of Retro and then looking at these rather dull boxes... they just don't seem to be coming from the same guys.

It used to be the same company that laid out the German Club Nintendo magazine. "Art something", can't remember? Those guys are the worst photoshop abusers I've ever seen, they have a Inner Bevel, Outer Glow and Drop Shadow as a default for everything they do. When they want to spice crap up they apply a couple of Lens Flares and Lighting Effects - and for a really special case they even use the Kai's Power Tools psychedelic patterns. Besides that, they totally suck in composition and typography.

My favorites from them were when they "improved" the Pokémon artwork for the original launch. They changed the pretty cool "Red Version" font to Comic Sans. They also created a "Key Visual" of something like fourty different Pokémon just grouped together and with an added blue-to-black gradient on the background. This way they managed to get the cool Pokémon art to look dull and generic and make the characters totally indistinguishable. They also added a Pikachu as a mandatory element in the Euro Pokémon logo.

SantaC

Chittagong said:
It used to be the same company that laid out the German Club Nintendo magazine. "Art something", can't remember? Those guys are the worst photoshop abusers I've ever seen, they have a Inner Bevel, Outer Glow and Drop Shadow as a default for everything they do. When they want to spice crap up they apply a couple of Lens Flares and Lighting Effects - and for a really special case they even use the Kai's Power Tools psychedelic patterns. Besides that, they totally suck in composition and typography.

My favorites from them were when they "improved" the Pokémon artwork for the original launch. They changed the pretty cool "Red Version" font to Comic Sans. They also created a "Key Visual" of something like fourty different Pokémon just grouped together and with an added blue-to-black gradient on the background. This way they managed to get the cool Pokémon art to look dull and generic and make the characters totally indistinguishable. They also added a Pikachu as a mandatory element in the Euro Pokémon logo.

IAWTP. they just don't know how to use PS correctly.

Shiggy

Jacobi said:
I'm afraid so. AreaGCX is one of the biggest german websites (about videogames).

Not really, deren Foren sind immer sehr leer. Ich kenne jetzt zwar keine genauen Besucherzahlen, aber GCO hat (leider) mehr Besucher.

It seems to be fake, because I can't find an advice, where stands, which subtitle languages are included, also the Nintendo logo is too small and there is no Retro Studios logo -> fake

There is also no "PAL"

Jacobi

Banned
Shiggy said:
It seems to be fake, because I can't find an advice, where stands, which subtitle languages are included, also the Nintendo logo is too small and there is no Retro Studios logo -> fake
The RE4 PAL boxart has no "only for" either. So those clues are a bit meaningless. (but I hope it is a fake bcause it's buttugly, Samus looks like Action Man or something)

That IS just Metroid Prime Art photoshopped.

Dark Samus was redesigned for MP2. That is what she/it looked like in Prime. It's just Samus in the phazon armor, while Dark Samus looks more organic in MP2.

Of course, if the team that designs boxart for NoE is that bad, they may just have used the art right out of the first game.

Seriously, someone has got to set Ninty straight with these so-called box arts. It's sort of like Genny and SNES era all over again in that respect, anyone remember Phalanx? :p

Deg

Banned
I amazed at how bad MP's boxart is. The first game didnt exactly have great boxart either but thats much better than this.

Top Bottom