• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panda Express launches General Tso's Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuukan

It's #TsoGood

tso-banner-title.png

Panda Express said:
Introducing a delicious fusion of Chinese and American flavors: savory spice from Hunan Province and vegetables found in the U.S. Our General Tso’s Chicken is made with all-white meat chicken, red and yellow bell peppers, onions and string beans. It’s the perfect take on an American Chinese original.

Source

Being a true American who fetishizes new junk food releases, I left my office, filled with hedonistic air conditioning, to give this a shot.

Note: I have never eaten from Panda Express before. Also, I know authentic Chinese cuisine is better, and yes, I greatly prefer it.

The chicken balls tasted relatively fresh for a scooped heat lamp meal. I went for lunch, relatively early so I can't say how well these hold up throughout the day. The taste was very mild, the tiniest bit of heat and not overly sweet. Would I go out of my way to get this again? Probably not. It was definitely better than previous American-Asian mall food options I've had in my younger days. TsoGood? #TsoK

Dishwalla

Banned
It's one of those things I've felt they should've had for a long time, kind of surprising they are just now introducing it.

I will never understand the purpose of Panda Express

I always assumed they were like a cheaper/fast food version of Chinese food....but like they cost the same amount as real Chinese and it's way worse

That said General Tso's is god-tier, the crown jewel of crispy chicken in sauce

I always assumed they were like a cheaper/fast food version of Chinese food....but like they cost the same amount as real Chinese and it's way worse

It's fast, that's really it. You get order and get food immediatly

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Haven't they had General Tso's before? I mean they have like 6 versions of fried chicken nuggets in a flavorful sauce that were basically one half step away from General Tso's.

studyguy

Yeah I thought General Tso's was like the default state of all chinese chicken. How the hell did they not have it already?

Panda Express' answer was basically their orange chicken.
Apparently that's their best selling item by far and has been for years.

As someone mentioned above, most of Panda Express' menu just feels like different flavored chicken nuggets after a fashion.

FINALLY!
We have a bootleg panda express in our mall that serves both orange chicken and general tso's, and it's the exact same thing except general tsos has red peppers added. Hopefully Panda's version is more differentiated from their orange chicken

kirblar

For a single person, they're cheaper by a fair amount.

massoluk

Banned
As a half-Chinese Asian, I would like to inform all food snub out there that I like Panda Express, fake Chinese food or not. :p

Zukkoyaki

Of the "American Chinese" food, Tso's is probably my favorite. Though I usually eat at more authentic Chinese restauarants or get Thai or Vietnamese.

This is new to panda express because their orange chicken is outrageously popular compared to their other dishes so they probably didn't see any need to have it. But I guess they eventually figured it'd be a good marketing push.

Fantomex

Panda Express is straight garbage. Flavor packets and small portions is how they do it. But they sure give you a ton of rice.

mintylurb

As someone who used to live in H.K, thus making me an expert in chinese culture/cuisine,
I hereby declare that panda express is garbage.

If you have a Pick up Stix nearby, try their orange peel chicken. It's essentially tso's with hunks of fresh orange, whole dried red peppers, and water chestnuts. They make it to order so it's always fresh.

Really miss the best Chinese fast food now that I'm out east.

ignata

I have to take toll roads to get to my closest Panda Express. It was worth it when they didn't have GTC, it's worth it even more now that they do.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There's actually a Panda Express not even 5 minutes from where I work in The Villages here in Lake County FL. Tempting.

Mortemis

Banned
Panda is okay. The nicest thing about it is how quick it is to get food and go.

Still, thankfully there are a bunch of Chinese spots around me that I don't really bother with panda. General Tso's is the shit.

Panda Express is to Chinese food what Chipotle is to Mexican. A corporate, curated version for the masses. It has its place.

Time to try these bad boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom