• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario 2 boxart question... what the hell?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So I finally got around to buying Paper Mario 2 today, and on the bottom right-hand corner of the cover it has a little stamp-like thing that says "Best Seller!" on it. This isn't a sticker on the outside of the plastic, or a sticker on the cover itself. It's actually a part of the cover image.

I guess I don't really have a specific question, other than "wtf?" The game has only been out a couple weeks... did they just slap this art onto anything that wasn't part of the first shipment? What was their reasoning? Other Nintendo games that sell well don't have anything like that added to their covers a week after their released....

I didn't even notice it when I bought it, but now it's really bothering me. Can anyone shed some light?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
How come sites haven't addressed this yet? Like IGN? I want to know why some covers have the tag and some don't

Some of them have it, some of them don't. I compared the two packages side by side, and they have slightly different barcodes and product numbers.

I preordered PM2 from Gamerush, got one with the "bestseller" tag, so I bought another one from Best Buy sans tag, and returned the "bestseller edition" to Best Buy. They didn't seem to notice or care.

A lot of trouble, but at least now I can see Mario's foot.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
The first Paper Mario game was a good seller. Anything in the "Mario" series/line sells fab......I guess that's what Nintendo is implying. Nintendo wants to make Paper Mario 2 look good this holiday season...heh. :D

Considering 'best seller' is a term often synonymous with books, rather than other media (where you will find terms like hit and blockbuster), perhaps its playing on the idea that Paper Mario is a best selling book/story? Pop up book?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
radioheadrule83 said:
Considering 'best seller' is a term often synonymous with books, rather than other media (where you will find terms like hit and blockbuster), perhaps its playing on the idea that Paper Mario is a best selling book/story? Pop up book?

I would accept this if there wasn't two versions of the box art

Sullichin

radioheadrule83 said:

Yeah, that would be my best guess to. A parody, of sorts, although it's easily misunderstood. But when's the last time you've seen the term "best seller" on a game box?

Alcibiades

I was about to make a thread on this issue, I went to Best Buy the other day and first saw that little "Best Seller" oval on a Player's Choice version of Wind Waker, then saw it on Paper Mario...

it's pretty weird, I thought maybe they made a mistake and accidently printed it on Paper Mario's when it was meant for Player's Choice games (didn't see it on Animal Crossing or Mario Sunshine, but I'm not sure if only Zelda is going to get that or if it's only temporary or what)...

Sullichin

So it's the same oval as The WW one? Or is just the text the same?

Maybe it was wishful thinking on Nintendo's part - sent out some copies that weren't supposed to be shipped until it reached "best seller" status.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
mightynine said:
This thread is worthless without pics.

pmbs.jpg

This is without the tag

242782.jpg

Memles

huzkee said:
The great Canadian travesty

scan81.jpg

At least he has TWO FEET in the Canadian version. Canada>USA

I'll see what I find on Christmas Morning; it'll be a surprise. Do all Canadian versions have it? I really can't say I care too much, though.

Mrbob

I got the Best Seller box art I ROCK.

*Points and laughs at all the fools with the inferior regular box art!*

Memles said:
At least he has TWO FEET in the Canadian version. Canada>USA

I'll see what I find on Christmas Morning; it'll be a surprise. Do all Canadian versions have it? I really can't say I care too much, though.
I got my copy at Fry's and it doesn't have the best seller thing, so USA>Canada>USA.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
the best seller tag doesn't bother me as much as the change from that old tight ass b ox art with bowser and stuff.

Top Bottom