• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parsec- Best remote play software?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
You may have seen me begging for a SteamBox. For a long time, I’ve been looking for ways to use my mancave located PC in the living room as well. Yesterday, I accidentally came across this software. I was really impressed by its performance. I had tried Moonlight and Steam Remote Play before, but never had an experience like this. The input latency was very low. I did have some issues with the sound, but since the client computer has a terrible Wi-Fi adapter, poor system specs, and it's on Linux, I figured that was the reason. I recommend trying this program, which let me play games like Guilty Gear Strive, SF6 and Monster Hunter Rise at an acceptable quality. If there’s anything better, please let me know.

El Muerto

Gold Member
Rainway was another one, but I never had good results with Parsec or Rainway at all. I use steam link on an older HP prodesk g3 with Pop OS installed that is on ethernet. I get 7.1 audio and haven't noticed any lag either using the steam link app. I also have direct ip connection checked in the app. If you can't run a long ethernet cord to your pc then i'd suggest powerline adapters. I live in an older house so wiring is that new, but never had issues using them with steam link. If there were power fluctuations like if the a/c turned on then i get some tiling for a second or two.

Mownoc

Personally I still like moonlight. I have a separate dedicated offline router just for streaming games. I generally get 1ms network latency and 1ms decoding time when streaming from my main pc to my i3-1220p laptop.

Using a separate router for optimal signal as the main internet connected router isn't in the same room as the PC or the laptop I'm streaming to.

50mbit 1080p stream looks great. Not tried 4k streaming yet.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
i'd suggest powerline adapters.
Oh my god, first time hearing about this. This is madness! Who knows how many advanced tech products I haven't heard of yet!

Btw, I was impressed by the wireless performance of Parsec on a PC one room away from a 2.4 GHz 40 Mbps router. I wonder how it would perform with a LAN connection like this. I have to buy two of those asap.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Parsec is probably the best program I use the past few years. Since the covid lock downs happened, my friend and i Discovered Parsec. We beat a bunch of couch co-op games, watched wrestling PPV's, or even just to share something on our screen.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
try something like this if you have a way to run a direct cable.

4K HDMI USB KVM Extender TCP/IP Over Single Cat5e/6/6a/7 up to 120M(390ft), 1080P@120Hz, Plug & Play, Keyboard & Mouse Over Network, Zero Latency, 3 Ports USB Hub, DIP up to 16 Sets​

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I bought this one. I will use it as a 5ghz wifi extender for my Quest 2 too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom