• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pavitr Prabhakar is... SPIDER-MAN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomoment

http://www.gothamcomics.com/spiderman_india/

IMAGE1_sm.jpg

nomoment said:
Or, in other words, "YOU DIDN'T READ THE PRESS RELEASE THAT I LINKED TO."

Acutally I did which was what led me to my statement. Rather than coming up with a unique hero, they bastardized an existing one, put it in a new location, and gave him some baggy pants.

I'm not saying the comic is going to be bad, but would it have been that hard to come up with a new hero?

nomoment

Felidae_Khrall said:
Acutally I did which was what led me to my statement. Rather than coming up with a unique hero, they bastardized an existing one, put it in a new location, and gave him some baggy pants.

I'm not saying the comic is going to be bad, but would it have been that hard to come up with a new hero?
First, stop trying to backtrack and explain: how is licensing a hero/property "stealing?"

nomoment said:
First, stop trying to backtrack and explain: how is licensing a hero/property "stealing?"

Ok, stealing was the wrong word. My feelings are better summed up in the second post I made. (But that's what I was meaning when I made the first, just worded it badly.)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Felidae_Khrall said:

What an idiot...

karasu

Wonder why you think they don't come up with new heroes. Naturally a random new Indian hero wouldn't make the news like an Indian Spiderman would. When Japan had that wonky Spiderman show, it wasn't because they couldn't come up with any heroes of their own.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I wonder have Spiderman comics been in India before. It would be interesting to know if this is the first "official" exposure of Spiderman to India.

dskillzhtown said:
I wonder have Spiderman comics been in India before. It would be interesting to know if this is the first "official" exposure of Spiderman to India.

it was called "Spiderwoman, and the dance of the 7 webs."

ShadowRed

Banned
Felidae_Khrall said:

WTF if anything this is Mavels doing so they can expand into a new market. Get a freaking clue dude.

PS. Why is he still a white guy?

ShadowRed said:
WTF if anything this is Mavels doing so they can expand into a new market. Get a freaking clue dude.

PS. Why is he still a white guy?

ok, so then marvel could of come with a new hero, whatever. Doesn't matter who.

Raxel

Pff, you haven't seen anything until you've watched The Indian Superman. They actually stole sfx shots from the Hollywood version and inserted them into the film. Add in dance numbers with Lex and you've got one of the most unintentionally hilarious movies ever.

Seth C

karasu said:
Wonder why you think they don't come up with new heroes. Naturally a random new Indian hero wouldn't make the news like an Indian Spiderman would. When Japan had that wonky Spiderman show, it wasn't because they couldn't come up with any heroes of their own.

Yeah, but he made it in Revenge of Shinobi!

karasu said:

I never said they "Don't" come up with new heroes, I said they "didn't" in this particular case. And if they wanted to expand to a new market with a bang, they could have used an existing character to spawn that one. Have spiderman(or whoever) go to india, be responsible for the creation of the hero. But seriously, I'm getting tired of Spiderclones.

How many different spidermen are out there now? like 15? Come on guys, I'm all for Spidey, but they're just running him into the ground.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Raxel said:
Pff, you haven't seen anything until you've watched The Indian Superman. They actually stole sfx shots from the Hollywood version and inserted them into the film. Add in dance numbers with Lex and you've got one of the most unintentionally hilarious movies ever.

Bollywood flicks is always intriguing to me. The way they just bust into a song right in the middle of a conversation or a tense spot of the movie is always bizarre.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Felidae_Khrall said:
Yes, I'm an idiot because my opinion differs from yours. You sir, are a genius.

It wasn't about your opinion. It was more of your completely wrong thoughts regarding the comic. The comments about stealing and etc.

RedMaiden said:
It wasn't about your opinion. It was more of your completely wrong thoughts regarding the comic. The comments about stealing and etc.

I already said stealing was the wrong word. Get over it and move on.

nitewulf

here are some examples of indian male supermodels, you'll notice they have western features. india is a huge country with a VERY diverse looking population.

arjun6_big.jpg

j4.jpg

as for the comic, while growing up i was mostly exposed to the comics printed in india, i dont know if bootleggs existed then, but the ones i read were licensed and thats why i never read stuff like x-men etc as the licesing was too expensive, instead we got second tier super heroes like flash gordon, mandrake and the phantom.

at the same time native indian heroes existed as well, and im sure many exists as we speak. but asking why they are re-interpreting spiderman in a new way seems a silly question to ask. of course spideman is very popular and comic fans would easily buy this instead of some "new" indian hero.

and i dont get why anyone would be opposed to it either, its not meant for the western audience, so i dont think you'd be missing out on anything, its strictly meant for the indian crowd. only huge spiderman fans may want to look into it for novelty's sake.

edit: typos/grammar and I GOTTA WATCH THIS INDIAN SUPERMAN MOVIE!!!
what is it called?

Dujour

Banned
Wow, what an unoriginal character. Though it is kinda difficult to create a new character nowadays. Almost all attributes have already been done a thousand times before.

belgurdo

Banned
Looks interesting enough...they may want to rethink the costume, though. Movie spidey top+Aladdin bottom=no. Either make the costume totally Indian, totally Spidey, or just turn the comic into something else if they can't think of a better compromise. I like the "demon goblin" thing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom