• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC-Age: Help me build my first PC in 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't built a PC in over 4 years and since I've been on a Mac the latest developments in PC hardware have passed me by. I've spent a couple of hours reading to get up to speed but would like some opinions on the overall viability of this setup or whether I've been reading the wrong reviews :D

This is going to be used as a supplementary video encoding box to my Mac since WMV support in OS X is still pretty dodgy and I have clients who require it.

Main goals are MPEG4, WMV etc. encoding and SILENCE hence the fanless motherboard, PSU and GPU.

I know I can purchase a nice quiet Intel from Dell but performance per buck is also important to me so I'm going to give AMD another run (the last AMD I built was an Athlon 1.2).

Code:
[b]Motherboard[/b] - Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 Nvidia NF4 ATX
[b]CPU[/b] - AMD Athlon 64 (ADA4400CDBOX) X2 4400+ socket 939 Dual Core 2.2Ghz 1Mb and 1Mb Cache
[b]GPU[/b] - Asus Extreme 7800GT TOP SILENT 2DHTV DDR2 256mb PCI-E
[b]Memory[/b] - 2x 1GB Corsair Memory 1GB DDR PC3200
[b]HDD[/b] - (Boot) Western Digital Raptor X WD1500 10000RPM 150GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
- (Data) Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 NCQ 7200RPM 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache
[b]OPTICAL[/B] - Pioneer DVR-110BK 16x DVD±RW/RAM
[b]PSU[/b] - Antec Phantom 500GB Atx12v V2.01 500w 20or24pin Psu
[b]CASE[/b] - Antec P180 SPCR Advanced Super Midi Tower Case

Windows XP Pro is the OS of choice - can it or any Windows apps use beyond 2GB of RAM?

Crow

Also correct me if I'm wrong about this, but AMD mobos don't support DDR2. I just looked up the boards specs you have there and it doesn't support it.

Crow said:
Also correct me if I'm wrong about this, but AMD mobos don't support DDR2. I just looked up the boards specs you have there and it doesn't support it.

Thanks that would have been a big screw up! Edited accordingly.

Sjoerd

Don't know about the new ones, but the WD Raptors I've used are not quiet. I'd just get two Seagates if I were you.

GXAlan

Instead of the Antec Phantom 500, get a SilverStone Strider ST56F. It's ont fanless, but it's quiet and is a hair better than the Seasonic S12's.

Thai

Bane was better.
Crow said:

:lol :lol

that's good to know, I'm also in the process of looking into a PC. Is DDR2 a big enough improvement over DDR to justify going for Intel instead of AMD?

Crow

Thai said:
:lol :lol

that's good to know, I'm also in the process of looking into a PC. Is DDR2 a big enough improvement over DDR to justify going for Intel instead of AMD?

The differances in performance are negligible. It really isn't worth it. Stick with AMD.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
monkeymagic said:
This is going to be used as a supplementary video encoding box to my Mac since WMV support in OS X is still pretty dodgy and I have clients who require it.
Flip4Mac not a good option, not considering price?

Hitokage said:
Flip4Mac not a good option, not considering price?

Unfortunately still having issues with Flip4Mac and it is becoming a headache encoding on the Mac then checking every video on a Windows box in case the client catches something I haven't.

Also a secondary 24/7 encoding box would be nice to have - Powermacs are way too expensive for just that purpose esp when you take into account the destination file format.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
monkeymagic said:
Unfortunately still having issues with Flip4Mac and it is becoming a headache encoding on the Mac then checking every video on a Windows box in case the client catches something I haven't.
Ah, ok. Makes sense.

Hooker

I'd change that video card to a XFX one. ASUS generally charges a lot more for VGA-cards.

The best RAM you can get for that motherboard is the Corsair TWINX2048 - 3500LLPRO. (2*1GB module) Corsair enginered this RAM specifically for this MOBO in order to get the best timings out of it (ie - faster). It's probably quite a bit more expansive, but you'll get the best performance out of it. This does mean tinkering a bit with the BIOS though, not something everyone wants to do :). (And this is coming from an OCZ fanboy so that says a lot)

Best DVD-RW on the market is the NEC 3550A - look if the prices differ a lot from the current Pioneer one. If they're about the same, go for NEC.

The case, it's a love/hate relationship. I LOVE the looks (although a bit less plastic would have been preferred) - but I HATE the layout. Plus, it's a bit big for some. Read some reviews on it would be my best advice.

The rest looks fine - it's about the same that I'm would get right now. (although a beefier VGA card & PSU - I'm a power hog :D)

rc213

Thats one crazy ass lookin heatsink on the Asus 7800 GT. You could also look for one with a Zalman Heatsink/Fan which is about as silent as you can get with a fan in place.

Hooker said:
I'd change that video card to a XFX one. ASUS generally charges a lot more for VGA-cards.

The best RAM you can get for that motherboard is the Corsair TWINX2048 - 3500LLPRO. (2*1GB module) Corsair enginered this RAM specifically for this MOBO in order to get the best timings out of it (ie - faster). It's probably quite a bit more expansive, but you'll get the best performance out of it. This does mean tinkering a bit with the BIOS though, not something everyone wants to do :). (And this is coming from an OCZ fanboy so that says a lot)

Best DVD-RW on the market is the NEC 3550A - look if the prices differ a lot from the current Pioneer one. If they're about the same, go for NEC.

The case, it's a love/hate relationship. I LOVE the looks (although a bit less plastic would have been preferred) - but I HATE the layout. Plus, it's a bit big for some. Read some reviews on it would be my best advice.

The rest looks fine - it's about the same that I'm would get right now. (although a beefier VGA card & PSU - I'm a power hog :D)

Thanks for the input.

I currently have a Pioneer 106 in one of my old PCs and whilst I have heard only good things about the NEC I think I'm going to stick with Pioneer just so I don't break my luck with optical drives :D

That RAM you mentioned sounds very tasty - I have a pair of Corsair XMS RAM in an old P4 box and never had problems with it so I'll check out your recommendation.

As for the case...well I hate PC cases in general. The only ones I do like (and I don't know if this is sacrilege amongst the PC community) are the Dell ones - easy to open, no sharp corners and quiet enough.

The only problem with them is taking the mobo out is a bitch and I don't know if any of my new components (mobo, PSU) will fit anyway.

I would really like a plain black one like the Dells but no one seems to make those that are any good with airflow unless you have any recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom