• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC GAF: help me make a decision, pleaae

Catphish

Gold Member
Mods: please fix misspell in title.

I have an i7-6700k rig, purchased about 4 years ago. It has a GTX 1080 and 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3 GHz.

When my local Microcenter starts building out PowerSpec machines with 3090s, I plan on buying one. And when that day comes, I will pass this rig down to my kid.

When I first bought my current machine, I was playing on a 1080p tv, and it is fully capable to continue kicking ass at that resolution. However, I've since picked up a 4k tv, and now it struggles. In most games at 4k downscaled to 2560x1440, it's good to very good, but not great. At 4k, meh.

My dilemma: I want to upgrade it while I wait for the new machines, which could be awhile. At my best estimation, the top GPU I can put in my (not particularly large) case, on this mobo, is a 2080-S, which looks like it will set me back about $700 after tax. Plus a new PSU, since my current one is only 500w. I'll likely go 600w with the replacement.

All told, I'd be spending $800ish to upgrade the GPU from a GTX 1080 to an RTX 2080 Super. It will be the last upgrade it ever receives.

Do you think it's worth the money? Part of me thinks no, part of me thinks fuck it.

(Please don't branch off into a debate on buying pre-built vs building one's own. I'm aware of the differences.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom